Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:58 am
All times are UTC + 0
Introducing RedAlert++
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject:  Introducing RedAlert++
Subject description: An open source re-implementation of the C&C Red Alert engine. Written from scratch in C++.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Introducing

An open source re-implementation of the C&C Red Alert engine. Written from scratch in C++.
www.redalertpp.org     www.twitter.com/RAPlusPlus     www.facebook.com/RedAlertPlusPlus

RedAlert++ is a project to create an accurate reimplementation of the game engine used for the classic Westwood Studios RTS, Command & Conquer: Red Alert in C++.

The team developing this are fans of the game who want to see it preserved and ensure it can be enjoyed properly on modern platforms. They do not have access to any of the original source code, and the project is being developed from scratch through careful examination and comparison to the original. This is to ensure that the new engine is as true to the original engine as possible, guarantee an authentically retro gaming experience. The project is not endorsed, sponsored or in any other way connected to EA/Electronic Arts and and has no intention to profit from the endeavour.

In the coming months, we will be posting regular updates and working towards a public release in the near future.

- Utilises the latest open source graphic and audio libraries (SDL, OpenGL and OpenAL). -
- Fully compatable with the original game, allowing you to run the compiled binary as a direct replacement of your original installation. -
- Fixes bugs that appear in the original game, without losing gameplay authenticity. -
- Built on years of thorough research into core gameplay dynamics to deliver a genuine experience. -
- Allows you to continue playing your favourite RTS on a device of your choice. -

Q: Why develop another Red Alert engine from scratch, if we already have FreeRA, FreeCNC and OpenRA...
A: FreeRA and FreeCNC are far from complete and appear to be abandoned while OpenRA is focusing on reimagining the classic Westwood RTS titles with modern era twists such as features found later Command and Conquer titles or other RTS games. Our focus is on a classic recreation with great attention to detail on the core mechanics, more akin to OpenDUNE, hence the new project.

Q: Why is it called RedAlert++, wasn't there already existing project called OpenRedAlert?
A: Correct, but the project has been inactive for some years now. We approched the creator, Damien some time ago now and asked the status of the project, and if it was currently inactive, could we use the name RedAlert++. Damien's project is still being developed in private and he has given us permission to use the name and hopfully in the future we can bring him on board to help with development.

Q: Where to download latest version of RedAlert++?
A: At the moment, OpenRedAlert is being developed in private so we can ensure the basic engine works as required. Once we are happy with the state of the engine, we will release a public build and also create a public repository on GitHub.

Q: What do I need to run RedAlert++?
A: It's simple! - All you will need is a installation of the original C&C Red Alert (patched to 3.03), and a compiled binary from the OpenRedAlert source code, be that from a preview build or from the public repository yourself. EA released C&C Red Alert as Freeware in celebration of the release of Red Alert 3 and it is now possible to legally download a copy from the EA servers or official mirrors.

CCHyper
Core Engine Programmer
- C&C Engine Researcher -

OmniBlade
Core Engine Programmer
- SDL and OpenGL -
- Cryptography & Algorithms -
- Cross Platform Deployment -

Additional Contributions
tomsons26 - Branding Artwork and Design
Tore - Web Technical Support
Grant - Web Technical Support
CNCNet Network - Website Hosting

If you are a fan of using social media, you can also or for updates and other information.

Last edited by CCHyper on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:54 pm; edited 6 times in total

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you need a lengthy question & answers section to explain people about OpenRA ≠ OpenRedAlert and new OpenRedAlert ≠ old OpenRedAlert that may be a bit unfavourable for the project and confusing to people. Thanks for linking to http://www.openra.net/ though.

I am very expectant when you actually release something playable.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My mind just imploded, so there are three projects all called the same & doing basically the same thing, umm why...?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
My mind just imploded, so there are three projects all called the same & doing basically the same thing, umm why...?

One of them is more or less dead. Practically there's OpenRA and OpenRedAlert, both of which are conveniently shortened as ORA.

penev
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something very important to keep in mind is that "OpenRA" is not short for "Open Red Alert". "OpenRA" is the name of the project (or the the engine if you wish, for clarity). Then there are a Tiberian Dawn mod, a Red Alert mod, a Dune 2000 mod, a Tiberian Sun mod, etc.
I see people often talking about "OpenD2k" and "OpenTS", which is incorrect.
I think this is even more important to make clear now that people will (I am certain of it) start mixing them up.

On a side note - good luck with your project. I'm looking forward to seeing an alpha/beta/demo version.  Smile

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA is short for Red Alert within the minds of anybody in the C&C community, which means that everybody subconsciously already interprets OpenRA as "Open Red Alert" and considering that "RA" in "OpenRA" doesn't refer to anything other than Red Alert, they're not wrong in doing so.

So like Matthias already pointed out, if you need a lengthy explanation to point out how and why ORA is not RA++, the choice of name is clearly very inconvenient if not plain stubborn.

Last edited by Bittah Commander on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

penev wrote:
I see people often talking about "OpenD2k" and "OpenTS", which is incorrect.

Well, you were kinda asking for it by naming the project "OpenRA" in the first place. As Bittah already stated (ninja'd me, actually), RA = Red Alert to all C&C fans, so people will always think of "Open Red Alert" whenever they see OpenRA. When you add TS features, it's fairly logical that they start talking about OpenTS then.

Also, by naming "OpenRA" something else, you could've avoided a lot of those "here's 35 ways you're different to the original game" posts that you seem to receive a lot. Because of the name people expect OpenRA to be similar to the original Red Alert, and then they'll be confused when you tell them that it's not supposed to be similar at all.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
ORA is not RA++
Approved

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Well, you were kinda asking for it by naming the project "OpenRA" in the first place.

I wasn't involved at that time, but I assume that originally OpenRA was supposed to be primarily just an open-source remake of RA (and TD as secondary mod) with some balance tweaks, hence the name. When the scope widened, the name had already been established. Things like that can happen.

What penev described is what it has become. When the project started, the original devs probably just didn't really expect it to turn into such a feature-rich, customizable engine way beyond its original scope.

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:
^Rampastein wrote:
Well, you were kinda asking for it by naming the project "OpenRA" in the first place.

I wasn't involved at that time, but I assume that originally OpenRA was supposed to be primarily just an open-source remake of RA (and TD as secondary mod) with some balance tweaks, hence the name. When the scope widened, the name had already been established. Things like that can happen.

What penev described is what it has become. When the project started, the original devs probably just didn't really expect it to turn into such a feature-rich, customizable engine way beyond its original scope.

This is correct.  When OpenRA started back in 2007 it was a drop-in RA-only engine replacement that parsed the original ini and map files (just like freera/cnc).  The decision to add support for TD came a few years later, and the generalizations that were required to support both games on the same engine (plus the fact that TD doesn't have external data files for rules etc) started a chain of events that lead us to where we are today.  By that point we had already been called OpenRA for several years, and there was a lot of resistance against changing the name - so we redefined it instead.  We're far from the first project to follow this kind of path.

Last edited by pchote on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It wouldn't be the first time that a known large project had a name change however. I think it's definitely worth reconsidering now however (especially since the scope has not only grown from RA to RA+TD, but it now even includes every single other Westwood C&C game and also Dune2K) and you could just make the old site re-direct to the new one for a good while so that people searching for OpenRA will still find what they're looking for (provided they won't accidentally end up with RA++ instead of course).

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My understanding is that this new project is still quite far from being a playable game, and they haven't yet released code or anything else aside from their preview website (but i'm eagerly awaiting the time that they do!).  So from our perspective nothing has changed to warrant renaming OpenRA.  IMO (personal - not necessarily reflecting the OpenRA team) the only people who would seriously argue for that are either naive, or hostile towards our project ("you're not real RA! You don't deserve that name, so give it back!").

Edit: I don't want to derail this thread, so this will be the last I have to say on the topic here.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has been decided after a lengthy discussion with the OpenRA team that it would be best for us to rename the project, while in its infancy. We would never ask OpenRA to rename their project as it has cemented itself as a project with a great future, and that name is now engraved into the internet.

We have decided to go with RedAlert++, I will be updating the topics and website shortly.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OpenRA should change its name to OpenRTS probably since it has diversified to different games than just Red Alert.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad to see this name change. We'll be able to easily keep the two projects apart now Smile
pchote wrote:
My understanding is that this new project is still quite far from being a playable game, and they haven't yet released code or anything else aside from their preview website (but i'm eagerly awaiting the time that they do!).  So from our perspective nothing has changed to warrant renaming OpenRA.  IMO (personal - not necessarily reflecting the OpenRA team) the only people who would seriously argue for that are either naive, or hostile towards our project ("you're not real RA! You don't deserve that name, so give it back!").

My suggestion for OpenRA to change its name as well was not because I was of the opinion that either project was more deserving of the name, nor am I hostile towards either project.

As mentioned before, the scope of OpenRA grew immensely in the past few years and I think it'd only make sense to pick a name that reflects this. This way people will stop calling OpenRA's TS mod OpenTS for example and (depending on the potential new name) it'll instantly be obvious that OpenRA supports the creation of any type of RTS (or C&C) game, rather than just being a game engine that primarily focuses on features that are used by the RA mod (which is what the name currently really does imply).

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OpenRA has become a recognizable name in the gaming community, it wouldn't be a good idea to change it at this stage.

Which, as I've just realized, is essentially what Hyper just said.

Good luck with this new project.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
We have decided to go with RedAlert++, I will be updating the topics and website shortly.

That is intuitive and also a way cooler name. Smile

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love to know the actual point of this? Why the RA1 engine. It's obsolete. I would GET the YR engine or the TS engine even, but the RA1 engine is obsolete and has a dead modding scene.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Volgin wrote:
I'd love to know the actual point of this? Why the RA1 engine. It's obsolete. I would GET the YR engine or the TS engine even, but the RA1 engine is obsolete and has a dead modding scene.

The RA1 modding scene is alive on the CnCNet forums. I don't think it's any less active than the RA2/YR modding scene.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Volgin wrote:

TS is an incomplete engine. The lack of real ship and ship yard logic. No Transport helos.

RA2/YR is better but stil lacks real Transport helos. The bug that was in TS is still in RA2/YR and that is why the NightHawk is build from the War Factory and not from real helipads. Than there is the small mater that RA2/YR are not free.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allen wrote:
Volgin wrote:

TS is an incomplete engine. The lack of real ship and ship yard logic. No Transport helos.

RA2/YR is better but stil lacks real Transport helos. The bug that was in TS is still in RA2/YR and that is why the NightHawk is build from the War Factory and not from real helipads. Than there is the small mater that RA2/YR are not free.

How can the engine be incomplete when it was coded as designed? From a community view point, it may be because it does not perform as required. Everything is perception.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Volgin wrote:

The RA1 modding scene is alive on the CnCNet forums. I don't think it's any less active than the RA2/YR modding scene.

Really? I'd love to see a Twisted Insurrection or Mental Omega level mod for Red Alert 1!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
Allen wrote:
Volgin wrote:

How can the engine be incomplete when it was coded as designed? From a community view point, it may be because it does not perform as required. Everything is perception.

Because the developers are human as well, and had a time and money limit. That's one of the things that mods have over full games is the time ato finish what a deadline oculd not.

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder wrote:
^Rampastein wrote:
Volgin wrote:

Really? I'd love to see a Twisted Insurrection or Mental Omega level mod for Red Alert 1!

I never said that RA1 had a big mod project going on #Tongue Only that it has a modding community over at the CnCNet forums. It's mostly focused on map mods and things like adding new theaters to RA1, but it's still modding.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
Allen wrote:
Volgin wrote:

It dose what it needs to but TS looks as it was going to be more like RA2 with ships by the looking at the rules and the listed but non working ShipYard= and the unused but works WaterBound= keys.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allen wrote:
It dose what it needs to but TS looks as it was going to be more like RA2 with ships by the looking at the rules and the listed but non working ShipYard= and the unused but works WaterBound= keys.

More like these are leftovers, since TS' engine is a (heavily) evolved RA engine. There are a lot more RA remnants.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WaterBound= could be a left over as it WaterBound= is found in the RA1 rules but ShipYard= isn't. All factories where hardcoded in RA1. Maybe early on all of the factories where un-hardcoded and than the shipyard logic was removed.

Also the in the TS rules Category list ship as a option but even in RA2 Category=Ship isn't used as all ships use Category=Support.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!