Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
OpenRA's Tiberian Sun support progress.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [30 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject:  OpenRA's Tiberian Sun support progress.
Subject description: One vision.... improved with height and shroud support.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone. I don't konw how many of you visits our OpenRA editing forums. Sometimes people progress some interesting materials related to their progress on the upcoming Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 mods for OpenRA, as well as other mods. There are two videos that are worth sharing here.

The first one shows the progress of the Tiberian Sun mod with the heightmap and shroud branches merged. It's a replay of an online match. Check it out (make sure video quality is in HD):

And that's certainly not the only interesting TS material that you may see. There is a mod called Crystallized Doom, which brings GDI, Nod, Forgotten and Cabal to the battlefield. The video below was taken with an older version of OpenRA:

Likewise Crystallized Doom, there are several other mods switching to OpenRA. If you have one of these mods and you want forums and a site for your mod, post about it in the Public Mod Announcements and PM me requesting hosting. For more information on how PPM hosts projects, check our section about it.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, that looks excellent.
I wasn't aware that OpenRA progressed so far already. Thanks for the post.
I guess the only thing that prevents other big mods to switch is the missing "game speed" setting. All other minor issues like helis on fixed flight level are surely soon fixed.

And damn, helis got rotors. How beautiful is that.

Also funny to see my old mech factory and super old cyborg factory in use. Smile

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
I guess the only thing that prevents other big mods to switch is the missing "game speed" setting.

This, and a spawner. CnCNet support too, unless OpenRA can somehow evade routers / open ports automatically.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spawner... for OpenRA?! It can enable UPnP.

I don't really see what's this fuss about game speed, you plan out your mod with a fixed speed anyway.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Spawner... for OpenRA?!

Indeed. Fullscreen in-game lobbies for games with low player counts belong to 90s. Maybe it'd be okay with a windowed / fullscreen mode toggle when starting the actual game.

Although there's also other things, the client in DTA and TI handles automatic updates, settings, statistics etc. as well. It's likely a lot easier to make an external client like that instead of integrating it all into the in-game UI.

Graion Dilach wrote:
I don't really see what's this fuss about game speed, you plan out your mod with a fixed speed anyway.

When playing DTA and TI online I've seen many different preferences for game speed. Some prefer 30 FPS, some prefer 60 FPS, others prefer 45 FPS. It's also handy for singleplayer missions, since lowering the game speed makes many hectic missions easier.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why spawners when you can directly launch the game via clicking on a public server's link?! http://www.openra.net/games/

And then you only have to use the internal stuff for private games. It's also easier to maintain if everything is in the game, considering that this is written for more OSes in mind.

A spawner is only an acceptable solution, when you're hacking a closed-source executable (Ares, CnCNet), but I don't think you can justify it here.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Why spawners when you can directly launch the game via clicking on a public server's link?! http://www.openra.net/games/

And then you only have to use the internal stuff for private games. It's also easier to maintain if everything is in the game, considering that this is written for more OSes in mind.

Oh, I wasn't aware of that site. Still, a lot of people do play private games. Support for non-Windows operating systems is a good point though.

Does OpenRA have an automatic updater for mods? If not, big mods like DTA and TI would still need to use a separate client for handling updates.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The base mods are part of the game package - you update them with the game.

Usermade mods could hack around the content installer to make such happen, the code can be combined with the news ticker.

=======================

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of us think the default speed is too slow, or too fast, I personally per the faster game speed setting(tiberian sun is not meant to take an hour for one match ,which it does on slowest) so game speed is needed.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

amazing can't wait to play it and mod it. Very Happy

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Does OpenRA have an automatic updater for mods? If not, big mods like DTA and TI would still need to use a separate client for handling updates.

No, however it already supports http://www.desura.com/games/openra/mods which like Steam allows auto-updating content delivery.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice progress Smile

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
^Rampastein wrote:

No, however it already supports http://www.desura.com/games/openra/mods which like Steam allows auto-updating content delivery.

That's not quite enough to erase the need for a separate updater application (or one integrated into the mod) then. Relatively few people use Desura.

Still, despite the lack of these features, I have to say that these updates look interesting. Good job.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..not to mention Desura's company went bankrupt recently and who knows what's about to happen. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Steve_1993
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are great news,indeed.I wish I could play OpenRA on my PC.Last tried I tried to play it,OpenRA crashed after I started it.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think we will see a lot more 3rd party mod once ts mod has release since many modder really rely on voxel graphic.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pchote
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have filed #8993 to track improvements for third party mod support.  Note that this is for features that make it easier to use mods (e.g. installation and upgrades), not game features you might want to use in your mods (e.g. game speed).

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Shellmap Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Current state of the shellmap. Not final, but might give you an idea in what direction we may be heading:

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We now use palettes with pre-multiplied alpha for the Tiberian Sun stealth transparency effect. You will notice composition problems just like in the vanilla engine if you look closely especially with the construction yard crane overlay. It should be possible to blend the sprites and apply the opacity to the result. A similar problem is exposed by overlapping shadows. See https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/4164 and https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/6019 so if someone is skilled in OpenGL to fix this up, help is always welcome.

stealth-transparency.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  915.98 KB
 Viewed:  18104 Time(s)

stealth-transparency.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A small note:
In TS, cloaked objects don't cast any shadow. Here it seems the shadows are made more transparent.
Though not sure if this is really a problem or more like a nice graphical improvement.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
A small note:
In TS, cloaked objects don't cast any shadow. Here it seems the shadows are made more transparent.

Yes. OpenRA always renders the shadows - which is pretty much based on RA1 way anyway. Asin, you have a shadow color on the palette and everything painted as that will be rendered as shadow, instead of TS's hardcoded "second-half-of-frames=shadow" system. Currently the TS mod defines #1 on the player palette as such and every sequence has a ShadowStart tag defined to imitate TS's setup though.

Also see https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/4164 about shadows.

=======================

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks nice with the shadows, it's something that bugs me a lot more than it should in Tiberian Sun.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think the shadows make any sense. If they're still casting shadows it suggests the buildings are not invisible.

It makes sense you can only see "ghosts" of the cloaked objects as the owner or with detection because you know where they are the half-visible objects represent that, but if they casted a shadow surely everyone would see that shadow? It just breaks the illusion for me.

Last edited by OmegaBolt on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kinda wish the transparency effect was only visible when you click on the stealth gen. I found it got a bit annoying playing entire games where ur base was translucent. Have the radius visible on the minimal though.

Much how the gap gen works in the RA games, only its stealth.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a bit divided with the shadows. On the other hand I agree with OmegaBolt that it breaks the illusion, but it also makes your own base and units easier to see. In TS I found it annoying to look at my own fully-cloaked bases, especially trying to find specific half-transparent infantry from a large cloaked base was annoying.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another thing which annoyed me was our missing railroad track and tunnel top rendering so I added those. They are currently purely decorational, but imho that is far better than the black gaps also known from the zzattack cnc maps renderer.

BarakYisrael
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

:]

Last edited by BarakYisrael on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that topic is dead since September 2015, perhaps you should open the thread to ask this question in a more appropriate place?

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [30 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!