Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Black screens in XCC Mixer
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:  Black screens in XCC Mixer Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello guys. I have problem and need your help.
I just got new computer with windows 8.1, but I have issue with XCC Mixer. I cannot view shps and voxels from there, instead of images, I see black screens. If it is single shp, I see one black screen. If it has several frames, it shows several black screens, same for voxels.
What is problem?

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCC Mixer can't find the palette files because the installation directories of the games are missing from the registry.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh thanks guys, seems that it was my bad. I just had to set palettes in XCC, it was black by default, either it looked missing palette or something created problem..I did not have such issue in XP SP3 from old computer... But thank you to remind me about palettes, this confused me.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, LKO, small help here. Today, when started XCC, it again showed black screen and I noticed that there are no palettes. Then I tried your method as you gave me link, I followed each steps, but when I start XCC mixer again, no pallets still. it sees LKOccallpal.mix, but does not show any pallete. In directories its still blank, even I type again, and again location c:\program files (x86)\xcc\utilities
Just after closing XCC and opening again, no paths are shown in Directories menu.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm guessing you're using Windows 10. I've had the exact same problem ever since I'm using Windows 10: if you're not running XCC Mixer as administrator, directories that are manually entered are never saved when you close XCC Mixer again.
So you'd think that simply running XCC Mixer as administrator is the solution, but while this does indeed make XCC Mixer properly remember and use the directories for the palettes, it for some reason completely makes it impossible to insert any files into mix-files.

So your best option is to either just place your mix-file with palettes in one of the directories XCC Mixer does remember when you start it in without admin rights (this will only be paths stored in the registry), or to manually edit the registry to add or change one of the installation paths that XCC Mixer uses if you're comfortable with doing that.

Edit:
Apparently you can easily fix this by just running XCC Mixer in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Somehow I never thought of trying that before now.

Last edited by Bittah Commander on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
it for some reason completely makes it impossible to insert any files into mix-files.

Programs with different right-levels can't interact with each other.
You would need Windows Explorer (or better use Total Commander) to run in Admin mode to drag&drop files into Admin mode XCC Mixer.

Public SHPs

Tools

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander, Lin Kuei Ominae, I am using Windows 8.1
So, what should I do? To run it as administrator or I need to put it under compatibility mode for Windows 8?

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO, I ran it as administrator as Bittah commander told me and it worked. It seems to work when I set up compatibility for windows 8. But I have problem in both cases

As you can see ,I can't see palette names. They exists as I randomly click into list, it gives me palette, but I can't see names.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use Windows 7 compatibility mode and don't run it as administrator.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did it, XCC has Windows 7 compatibility mode and still I cannot see palette names

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are the correct directories set and remembered now? Also, have you tried selecting the palette in the small window that opens when you press Ctrl+P?

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It needs path to the palettes. It will also work with registry entries. Attaching a sample. Substitute your drive
and path to the game and then merge.

Win7 compatibility is not needed, tested on Win10. No problem with making/editing mix files.

GamePath.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GamePath.zip
 Filesize:  321 Bytes
 Downloaded:  56 Time(s)

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Windows 7 compatibility indeed isn't needed when XCC Mixer reads the path from the registry, but the paths you can manually enter in XCC Mixer (Dune 2, TD primary, TD secondary, RA and Dune 2000) are always discarded when you restart XCC Mixer and aren't running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's why i dislike storing crap in the registry and prefer inis. You know where they are, can manually edit them and even use them when write protected.

About XCC, it stores the manually entered paths in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\XCC
Code:
(Standard)   REG_SZ    (value not set)
dir1         REG_SZ    EnterHerePathtoPaletteMix
dir2         REG_SZ
dune2_dir    REG_SZ
ra_dir       REG_SZ

So you could also manually add the keys to the registry.

Public SHPs

Tools

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, but it still won't be able to read those paths when you don't start XCC Mixer in Windows 7 compatibility mode or run it as administrator.

The problem is probably that it normally doesn't get the necessary rights to read fom HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for some reason...

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I run Total Commander in admin mode and launch XCC Mixer from within it. It retains the folder locations of
RA, TD etc. on Win10 after restarts also. Mixer exe doesn't have Win7 compatibility, neither Total Commander.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCC is then started with the same rights as Total Commander. Thus no separate Admin rights necessary for XCC.

I also use Total Commander with Admin rights only. Smile Windows Explorer is unbearable to work with.

@Bittah: reading from the registry is no problem, even without Admin rights. You just aren't allowed to edit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
With low rights you/programs are only allowed to write all kind of crap in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

Public SHPs

Tools

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh guys, this was problem.
First, I need to run as administrator, otherwise it wont work. it even ignores when I allow users to have full permissions in settings.
Another way to work is if I set compatibility to Windows 8.

But problem is that LKO palettes are shown under Tiberium Dawn category for some reason, yet they exist under Red Alert category, but have no names, just as I explaned. That wonders me.

But here issue is

SO, yeah it works now, but in Tiberium Dawn category, in RA category its with missing names.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum