Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 am
All times are UTC + 0
Moving to OpenRA.
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject:  Moving to OpenRA. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, once I made an topic about this some one crapped it I guess about the lack of details anyway I have a bunch of question that I would like to know its answers.

Can we modify the engine of OpenRA? - Is renaming the modified engine well result in some sort of ripping? "OpenWotw"  Very Happy

How to mod OpenRA? - and How other mods like C&C REWIRE make it mod on it as there is no Tiberian sun or red alert 2

Do we need a Programming language knowledge to mod Openra?

Is it necessary to import all the stuf from A RA2 YR mod with ares one by one?

some features questions:

Does OpenRA still use the 256 pal or can we make better quality assets?

Is all the codes of YR in OpenRA or we must add it?

Can we create a GUI for OpenRA that looks like YR one?

Is all the features of ares is in OpeRA?

Does OpenRA engine Render the voxels as it was rendered on Yr or it render it better?

Thanks.

please don't crap this Topic too.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, to answer you is really easy, but you have to search next time, since people here are aggressive to such threads
1-renaming the engine might be a problem(it's not yours)
2-modding open RA requires a good knowledge of a coding language since you will add some of your own values
3 and for the rest: well openRA isn't YR, but you been recreate the elements from it, and yes I suppose the 256 Palette is still used, it renders videos better and the features of Ares aren't yet available in open RA, to should make them..

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should wait a bit Zlixine. It is really not time to move OpenRA for a YR modder, at least before all YR functions are added. After that i'll move my mod to OpenRA too.

About programing language knowledge. Yaml is a bit different than MSINI files. As OpenRA aims heavy modability most of Trait names are different and generic than orginal Trait names. You don't need to know C# which is language OpenRA is written to mod game unless you want to add something new that game doesn't support yet.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

penev
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, let's go over this question by question:

Quote:
Can we modify the engine of OpenRA? - Is renaming the modified engine well result in some sort of ripping? "OpenWotw"  

The engine is totally modifiable. As for the name, there is no good reason to change it. You probably could, but personally I dislike the idea.

Quote:
How to mod OpenRA? Do we need a Programming language knowledge to mod Openra?

Depends on the scope of your mod. If you want a modified YR with changed values and some new units - you only need YAML, which is similar to the INIs you are used to, and a simple text editor. If you want to add new features, then you need C#, preferably with a good IDE.

Quote:
Is it necessary to import all the stuf from A RA2 YR mod with ares one by one?  Is all the features of ares is in OpeRA?

OpenRA has nothing to do with Ares, so it's hard to answer this. It is missing some Ares features as far as I know, has some of them, and has a ton of features that Ares doesn't.

Quote:
Does OpenRA still use the 256 pal or can we make better quality assets?

Yes, it uses 256-colored palettes. Looking at Rewire, that's more than enough to create awesome-quality assets Wink

Quote:

Currently TS is being worked on. A group of people are working on an unofficial RA2 mod. YR is still a long way away. You could consider helping speed up the development of the RA2 mod, as that is a prerequisite for YR (and TS is a prerequisite for RA2).

Quote:
Can we create a GUI for OpenRA that looks like YR one?

Yes, you can do whatever you like with the UI. OpenRA has a very modifiable widget system for that.

Quote:
Does OpenRA engine Render the voxels as it was rendered on Yr or it render it better?

I'm no expert, but I've heard people say it renders them better.

For the most part I'd say it's still early for YR mods, unless they want to help speed up the development of the prerequisites (TS and RA2).

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

temp wrote:
Hi all, once I made an topic about this some one crapped it I guess about the lack of details anyway I have a bunch of question that I would like to know its answers.

Can we modify the engine of OpenRA? - Is renaming the modified engine well result in some sort of ripping? "OpenWotw"  Very Happy

The engine is GPLv3 IIRC, so you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. If you were to fork it and modify it enough that is was justified to call it somthing else to differentiate from the original project then you could call it whatever you wanted. However the copyright on code you didn't write would remain with the original authors and you would have to keep it GPLv3 licensed.

Quote:

Is it necessary to import all the stuf from A RA2 YR mod with ares one by one?

Ares is an extension of the YR engine, you can't import anything from it to OpenRA directly as OpenRA is not related to any of the Command & Conquer game engines. Its a custom generic RTS engine that was written to use the original C&C game assets that does everything its own way. There is a lot of intentional overlap where its possible to create similar effects and logic in OpenRA, but you need to rewrite everything to use OpenRA YAML. As I understand there are convertors for some types of content, but the resulting YAML might not be particularly understandable.

Quote:

As I explained above, none of the YR "codes" are in OpenRA, OpenRA has nothing to do with any of the C&C game engines. It has similar or equivalent codes in many cases and they are working to implement more, but the way you write a mod to use them is totally different.

temp
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for answering my questions I will start to fork OpenRA as I want until it become another thing.

anyway I will spend time in it to try to make  a very big PAL file that has 16-bit "65,536 color" for the Engine.

bye bye for the YR modding.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

temp wrote:
Thanks for answering my questions I will start to fork OpenRA as I want until it become another thing.

Don't forget the attribution and adhering to the http://www.openra.net/license

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum