Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm
All times are UTC + 0
TD changes
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
CabalCore
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:  TD changes
Subject description: modding Tiberian Dawn
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to mod TD on OpenRA to where it will match the classic version more. I noticed that the Commando doesn't fire on vehicles, the SSM Launcher doesn't fire at ground units and that the MLRS doesn't shoot aircraft.

So how do I modify these units to do that? I'm more of a visual learner, so if someone who knows how could show me an example on what to do that would be cool. I know you have to modify their weapons but I don't know exactly how though.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a Targetable trait on actors where you can list an unlimited amount of target categories (Ground, Water, Air, Vehicle, Structure are common, but nothing stops you for creating your own like ReallySpecificTarget). This is usually used for everything involving targeting, be it weapons or disguise or whatnot.

On the weapon side, both the weapon and the warheads has a ValidTargets (defaults to Ground, Water)/InvalidTargets(defaults to null) list. This means that instead of the TS way of using 0% verses, you're only listing the target actor (group)'s Targetable classes in the weapon to get it targeted by the weapon and add them to the warhead as well to make them affected.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/9911 is a bit related and an example why different targettypes are useful between warheads and weapons.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
CabalCore
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! I was able to get them working like in the classic version.

CabalCore
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the double post. How do I do proper indentation in the yaml file? Sometimes I'd get a "Bad Indent" error when I modify them.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Depends on what tool you use. OpenRA strictly uses tabs for indentation, but some advanced tools tend to convert that to spaces sometimes. Check your tool's doc.

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
CabalCore
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Depends on what tool you use. OpenRA strictly uses tabs for indentation, but some advanced tools tend to convert that to spaces sometimes. Check your tool's doc.

I was using notepad to mod them.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Try Notepad++, it can handle yaml files fine, and also note that not being carefull with your sintax can easily make the game crash, I mean... one extra letter or space, using caps on the wrong word or letter... not maintaining the space blocks organization (the tab button). All of that can make the game crash, so be thorough.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

CabalCore
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nolt wrote:
Try Notepad++, it can handle yaml files fine, and also note that not being carefull with your sintax can easily make the game crash, I mean... one extra letter or space, using caps on the wrong word or letter... not maintaining the space blocks organization (the tab button). All of that can make the game crash, so be thorough.

I was able to mod it the way I wanted to with Notepad++. NICE!

EDIT: I'm trying to make custom techlevels, how would I do this?

TiberFCSL
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's nice what you're trying to do, as I don't like OpenRA's TD current mod... too different from original, prerequisites changed, some things switched from their respective sides... I think it's a real mess... I'd like to test your mod Wink

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CabalCore: should have doubleposted. ProvidesTechPrerequisite in the Player definition (rules/player.yaml) is what you want.

TiberFCSL: The TD OpenRA mod had a gameplay designer and that shows. The differences allow that mod to not be a RA rehash for the players.

=======================

CabalCore
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TiberFCSL wrote:
It's nice what you're trying to do, as I don't like OpenRA's TD current mod... too different from original, prerequisites changed, some things switched from their respective sides... I think it's a real mess... I'd like to test your mod Wink

I never intended my modifications for public release, this was just personal only because I didn't know if I would break any rules by doing so but it involves modified yaml files. However, if I'm allowed then I don't mind uploading it. Smile

Graion Dilach wrote:
CabalCore: should have doubleposted. ProvidesTechPrerequisite in the Player definition (rules/player.yaml) is what you want.

TiberFCSL: The TD OpenRA mod had a gameplay designer and that shows. The differences allow that mod to not be a RA rehash for the players.

Sorry about that, I know it's bad to double post so I don't usually do it. Though I do understand that the reason all these changes were made in OpenRA is for balancing.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't read these boards lately much tbh and I don't think there are many active OpenRA people around either - usually they are just pointed towards PPM stuff via IRC by someone.

The doublepost should have made sure I'd have noticed your post, whatever.

Modifications based on any OpenRA mods are okay. As long as you don't overwrite the OpenRA mod but create your own subfolder for them (although I'd personally suggest that such a mod should be published at http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=83 as well).

=======================

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum