Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am
All times are UTC + 0
OpenRA's progress with the Red Alert 2 mod
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject:  OpenRA's progress with the Red Alert 2 mod
Subject description: Sending air mail!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The OpenRA developpers have been working hard to bring the Red Alert 2 universe to the OpenRA game engine. They've recently shared a couple of videos that shows its progress. Although there are a lot of unfinished features (i.e.: Chrono Miner isn't chrono yet), they already have something playable. In the long soviet gameplay video below the player had to cheat to survive. Check out both videos:

Allied gameplay:

Soviet gameplay:

For more information, head to OpenRA's Website. And remember that you can already play the Dune2k, Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert 1 mods with OpenRA, by downloading it from OpenRA's website.

Key Words: #News #OpenRA #RedAlert2 

Last edited by Banshee on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:46 pm; edited 7 times in total

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Impressive!

Fincer
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, the videos have not been made by the OpenRA developers.

I compiled OpenRA from source couple of days ago on Arch Linux and just wanted to demonstrate some random Red Alert 2 gaming on Youtube Smile

I'm happy that official OpenRA Facebook channel has shared these video footages. The progress is impressive, indeed.

As you said, many features are still missing but it truly feels like Red Alert 2. And as I understood that the developers do their best with their OpenRA project to bring these nostalgic games to us once again, I can absolutely forgive some missing features right now.

What bothers me the most is some serious unbalancing issues but yeah, this is still not the official "stable" release so no worries.  Rolling Eyes

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fincer wrote:
Actually, the videos have not been made by the OpenRA developers.

I compiled OpenRA from source couple of days ago on Arch Linux and just wanted to demonstrate some random Red Alert 2 gaming on Youtube Smile

I'm happy that official OpenRA Facebook channel has shared these video footages. The progress is impressive, indeed.

Ok, I've fixed the news post.

Quote:
As you said, many features are still missing but it truly feels like Red Alert 2. And as I understood that the developers do their best with their OpenRA project to bring these nostalgic games to us once again, I can absolutely forgive some missing features right now.

What bothers me the most is some serious unbalancing issues but yeah, this is still not the official "stable" release so no worries.  Rolling Eyes

Yea, it feels like RA2 and it looks great already. And, of course, there is a lot to be done. Creating a game like RA2 with all its features demands a lot of work. Even Westwood Studios took years to bring all these features to the game.

And something that they couldn't finish in a proper way was to properly ballance RA2. I think it is a way too much complicated mission #Tongue.

Fincer
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup Smile

I uploaded a bunch of scripts to help OpenRA compilation with Tiberian Sun & Red Alert 2.

Instructions:

https://github.com/Fincer/openra-tibsunra2/

Zip:
https://github.com/Fincer/openra-tibsunra2/archive/master.zip

I'm aware that Ubuntu script may not be the most elegant about what comes to debian/control & rules files but at least it works.

Windows script also gives some warnings, but the game works anyway. A friend of mine tested it, too.

I consider adding scripts for Fedora/OpenSUSE (and maybe Mac OS X), too.

Please be aware that these scripts may become unusable some day as the OpenRA development process continues.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fincer
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Matthias M. wrote:
Strange, that you need to patch the SDK version out of the Makefile on Arch Linux.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/labels/Mod%20Support should improve soon so that these complicated setups aren't necessary in the future.

Thanks for feedback! Re-tested on Arch Linux & Linux Mint without makefile-mcs.patch (SDK version removal). Works fine without it. Thus the patch will be removed.

Fincer
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I reworked and cleaned up the whole Github repository (Fincer/openra-tibsunra2).
    - More user friendly file structure
    - Git version numbers for OpenRA & RA2 (replaces {DEV_VERSION} in all mods)
    - Tell user which git versions are being used (easier to foresee version conflicts in multiplayer)
    - Added installation support to Debian, OpenSUSE & Fedora
    - Simplified installation for all supported Linux distributions
    - MCS patch removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!