Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm
All times are UTC + 0
PPM offers Unofficial News Forums for your mod!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject:  PPM offers Unofficial News Forums for your mod!
Subject description: Get your news posts automatically spreaded in PPM in a forum dedicated for your mod.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone! As I've mentioned in the Happy 2016, from PPM! news post, we are looking to improve our community news coverage. And, in order to do that, we are offering a new service here:

The Unnoficial News Forum Hosting

-> What is it?

This is a service offered for mods that stands as a subforum that imports content from RSS feeds. Basically, PPM News Reporter will import your news posts twice a day, allowing members of this forum to discuss them here and your mod releases to be quickly promoted to through our frontpage and news tracker.

-> How does it work?

We will create a new category in our forums between Pre-Alpha Projects and Inactive Projects that will be called Community Projects. This category will have one subforum for each mod covered with the authorization of the mod leader. Twice a day, our server will fetch information from the RSS feeds related to each mod, adapting their content as new topics in the forums. It works in a similar way as seen at VXLSE III's SVN News Feeds. The mod leader will be able to moderate the forums, post news of his(her) own if (s)he desires to do so and edit the posts from the news bot. Forum members will be able to post replies and discuss the news, but they won't post new topics there.

-> What are the requirements?

Your mod needs to have at least one RSS feed and it needs to be approved by me. ModDB offers a couple of RSS feeds by default. Revora may export forum contents as RSS if you request the administrators there. Most new IPB forums may export RSS feeds, etc...

-> Why is it good for mods?

It catches a new public in a quite quick way with little to no effort at all (since the news posts will be here automatically). Posts with mod releases might be promoted to our frontpage. Our news tracker will also catch news about your mod. It will also be good to make PPM more active.

-> Is it open to every project?

Technically yes, although we will start slow. Converting RSS feeds for phpBB's BB code and bringing external news into PPM forums requires some adaptation and constant attention. We'll have a RSS feed in our end that will convert your RSS feed into something that will be appropriate to this place. So, that requires some effort from my end (not yours). This is why we are starting slowly, being tempted to priorize projects that are more popular in first place.

- How do I get an unofficial news forum for my project?

Post a reply in this news post asking for an unofficial news forum for your project and we'll discuss everything else with private messages.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If this will work with the ModDB articles RSS feed then damn this sounds interesting - asin interesting enough that I guess I'd apply for one even.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it works with ModDB RSS feeds. ModDB only writes the summary in their RSS feeds and not the whole news post content, however, there is a trick that may catch the whole news content as long as they do not change their site layout... but that demands some work and analysis.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Banshee what are you using for scraping?
Hopefully BeautifulSoup4 and/or Scrapy.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use SimplePie to aid me to manipulate RSS feeds and everything else is done by my own code.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
If this will work with the ModDB articles RSS feed then damn this sounds interesting - asin interesting enough that I guess I'd apply for one even.

Yes, I've finished a script that converts news posts from ModDB to a BB code compatible with PPM forums. And I've made a sample with your mod. At the moment, it should covers bold, underline, italic, quote (not tested), list, img, url, youtube, moddb videos, center, h1, h2 and h3.

So, PM me the description of your mod news forum and I also want to know a couple of things:

1) Would you prefer to see the posts being posted by the PPM News Reporter bot or by your own account?

2) Do you want every post to link the original moddb post in the end of the post or not? It seems to be more appropriate when using PPM News Reporter to post the news.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Community Project News group is still hidden though. #Tongue

But yay, linking a public forum in a hidden forum works. Very Happy

=======================
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It was hidden only for registered users. Guests could see it Laughing. Anyway, I've fixed it now and everyone can see it.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, PM me the description of the OpenRA news forum and I'll setup it (using the ModDB feed).

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not very creative. How about just "OpenRA News"?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errr... I'll create a proper forum description and add your forum soon.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've created a forum for it, in the Community News Project. Only you (Matthias M.) can see it at this moment. Except for the latest news which used an unexpected iframe (I've edited the post, replacing the iframe with a picture that does the same thing), it could import everything else correctly. I'm waiting a couple of hours until it becomes public, just to ensure that no duplicated news will be imported.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't mind me banging into that, but sure OpenRA should be in the Community News? Why can't the end result be a subforum of the OpenRA Editing Boards?

=======================

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You have a good point. That would really be better.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: Considering that nothing wrong happened to the posts of OpenRA's news forum, I've followed Graion's suggestion and it is now online at the OpenRA Editing forums.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. Can you add xanax as moderator there as well?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it's done.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently this went a bit bad with OpenRA since ModDB mirrors mod news on their respective games' site as well... Embarassed

=======================

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, I've noticed. Any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=======================

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, it's done. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!