Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Upcoming server maintenance
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:  Upcoming server maintenance
Subject description: And other temporarily inconveniences of our site.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello everyone. I'm back from my trip and I know that I have a lot of challenges to keep PPM running now. First of all, since the day I've left (february 21st), our lovely captcha decided to fail. I still don't know the reason. I'll try to figure out. Anyway, this is not allowing new members to register here and guests to download certain files. It is of our best interest to fix it as soon as possible, even if I have to replace this captcha with another one.

To make things a bit worse, I've just got an email informing that PPM, Revora and other sites in this server will go temporarily offline soon for maintenance. Here's the email from Phil about this issue:

Quote:
Hello all,

because the primary hard drive of our server appears to be failing, our hosting company is going to replace it.
This means up to 24 hours of downtime (hopefully less) starting at around 12:00 Central European Time (UTC+1) on Tuesday, 8 March 2016 (tomorrow).

The hosting company will swap out the drive and attach the old one via USB for me so I can copy all the data onto the new drive. If all goes well we will be back up and running with a new drive and all our data intact by Wednesday.

So, bear with us and be a bit patient. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Key Words: #ProjectPerfectMod #PPMForums #News 

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The captcha service PPM was using went offline since 1st March. It ended. That's all why it happened. SleipnirStuff changed on the last weekend of Feb and pchote got a message about it beforehand so I guess you missed that notif.

The other half of your news sound really unprofessional to me - especially when I worked in midrange storage for a while lately. A RAID redundancy is the least I would have expected.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with GD but I would have expected they ghosted the old contents onto the new drive automatically at the least... why do _you_ have to do it?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, I've missed the news. It probably arrived as junk and I did not check my hotmail spam for more than a week. I've figured out, after posting this news, that it ended in march 1st. I wasn't aware SS used the same captcha system.

Regarding the second part of the news, as far as I know, Revora has a backup system, but I'm not sure if it uses RAID. The server has more than one hard disk and, apparently, only one appears to be failing. Be aware that this server is hired by a group of individuals (Revora) that have no profits with it and survive doing other activities unrelated to the server. I do not know exactly what are your expectations about it, but Revora has not enough money to fund super computer(s) to serve its sites.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah! I always though revora/ppm was on a private owned server.

Interesting... Who is the hosting company...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is a computer (dedicated server) in a big datacenter (LeaseWeb).

Banshee Testing Recaptcha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just checking if reCaptcha works.

Another test from Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This time is using topic reply.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to confirm, I've replaced PlayThru with ReCaptcha. User registration is now working, as well as quick reply for guests* and topic reply for guests*.

* In the forums where guests are allowed to post, of course.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!