Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am
All times are UTC + 0
Rumors and progress on new "Command & Conquer" games.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:  Rumors and progress on new "Command & Conquer" games.
Subject description: I've seen the future! A tiberium future! And not from EA.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you've recently visited our friends over CNCNZ.com, you might have seen a news post speculating about an upcoming Command & Conquer game from a EA mobile division, based in a job listing post, informed by Cypher.

Quote:
Come and join an exciting team that’s redefining mobile development at EA. Collaboration, gameplay and rapid iteration are what makes us tick as we push to innovate on one of EA’s beloved IPs to be a top 5 grossing mobile title. Our team is growing fast and we’re looking for the most talented and creative people who are inspired by our mission and fit well within the spirit of our culture. Nothing gets us more charged than the opportunity to deliver an awesome players first game experience that lets our team do something that’s never been done before at EA Mobile. Come and see for yourself, the future is here.

EA Mobile is seeking an exceptionally skilled and enthusiastic Combat Designer. In this role you must own the creation and gameplay balance of all content and systems pertaining to combat. The ideal candidate has a proven track record designing and balancing various combat units, special attacks, powers, and combat structures. You have a thorough knowledge of game design theory and tools pipelines, telemetry and data analysis and interpretation. You possess strong leadership skills and production sensibilities. You have the talent to produce and implement the highest quality work. You want to take risks, to invent, and are driven to make the best games in the industry.

And moving down a little bit we have:

Quote:
Preferred Qualifications

Experience designing combat systems for Real-time Strategy or RPG games.
   Multiple shipped titles, ideally on Mobile platforms.
   Experience in game programming or LUA scripting.
   Experience designing, implementing and managing large numbers of game assets such as player abilities, units, or items.
   Experience working on games in a live-service environment.
   Experience designing content and systems for F2P games.

To complete this information, according to what was posted on CNCNZ.com, the boss would be Jim Vessela, who was a producer on Red Alert 3 and some other C&C games. However, CNCNZ.com clearly states that this is a speculation and the game in the job listing post could be related to other EA IPs. It could even be Star Wars or another type of game, such as an RPG.

If you remember the last official under development real time strategy Command & Conquer game, the announcement above could make sense as an upcoming Command & Conquer game. EA was already trying to create a Free To Play Command & Conquer game that would work in a live-service environment. That game would rely a lot on online platforms and stimulate people to either play it like a freak (farm for days) to unlock new factions and bonus that could compromise the balance of the game under some circumstances. Instead of wasting your time farming, you could pay real money for it (money would be their ultimate objective, of course). Their virtual money would allow them to sell items to anyone in the world under their own regulations and avoiding taxes in many countries due to their outdated fiscal laws. Extensions and "new games" would arrive as downloadable content (DLCs), which would free or paid, and it sales would be restricted to Origin (that belongs to EA, of course). The way the game relied on EA servers to run everything (even single player AI) makes modding not viable at all (client machine no longer process the game), not to mention that would serve as an excuse to roll out premium services for those who paid monthly rates for it.

I'm not surprised if that this mobile game follows this direction, regardless if it is a Command & Conquer game. But be aware that EA already has some experience with Command & Conquer RTS games on mobile platforms. Perhaps, the best of them is the Red Alert 3 port to iPhone as seen in the video below:

Bringing the gameplay experience of a RTS game to a touchscreen mobile interface is a complicated mission. You need to take into account a lot of things, specially the following user actions:

- Map scrolling: Scrolling the screen with touch screen devices nowadays is an easy mission. Carefully touch your finger in the screen, move it and then stop touching it. The problem is the precision of your scrolling in the battlefield. If you just violently scroll like you could do to browse a site faster, you would end up in the other side of the map. I think it is possible to calibrate it to allow slow scrolls, fast scrolls and to use the map to click reach other parts of the map.

- Unit Selection: Depending on your size screen and the size of the units in this screen, the precision to select the units that you desire may become a headache to the user.

- Issuing Orders: Ordering a unit to kill another may not be as hard as it seems, bit when you miss a keyboard, customizing this order might be hard. What if you want a unit to force fire something? Or just patrol or guard an area? Or just to kill one infantry that is inside a huge group of soldiers? I.e.: If you have a Yuri in the middle of a bunch of conscripts, you'd certainly focus your fire on the Yuri, who is more dangerous than the other units? Lack of precision here can be a headache under these circunstances.

- Building/Unit Construction: Sidebars take a big part of the screen. Andf considering that you need some precision to touch your finger in the correct icons, you'll surely use a big part of your screen for it. But there are other challenges: How do you cancel orders? Is it practical to select buildings to issue exit waypoints in a touchscreen? Would the touchscreen precision be acceptable when switching between the production tabs from production facilities of the same type (i.e.: switching between the productions of multiples barracks)?

My personal opinion on how to deal with this matter is that a mobile RTS game interface should be focused on teams. Let's say 5 teams, to not overload the interface, where it could be distributed as 2 defensive teams, two offensive teams and one for random missions. The button that allows the users to select these teams could be exactly as seen in the iPhone Red Alert in the video above, although there are only 3 teams there. But the use of these teams could be different, specially when constructing units. If you have one of these activated and you choose to build infantry or tanks, these units would automatically join this team once they are built and they could move towards this team, to get together with them. To change teams of a unit, drag and drop them to another team. Double hitting a unit would select all units of that type on the screen (which could be dragged and dropped to a team) and a triple hit would select all units on the screen, using the screen instead of a dotted square as selection box.

Issuing orders should be restricted to conquer a region. So, click to select a team and click in a region to conquer it. If units stay together with a team, you wouldn't need guard orders. To prevent certain enemy buildings from being destroyed by your units, if you wish to conquer them, you'd need a team with an engineer to issue an order to conquer that building before a team of yours conquer that building. The implementation of these ideas require a smart automatic micro-management solutions that would deserve another huge post to get in details with.

The construction of buildings should be similar to what the Soviets do in Red Alert 3. I mean, you choose the building and place it before it constructs. But it will only appear in the map after the construction is finished.

And the remaining detail is that this unit and building constructions, orders, etc should be queued by default, with buttons to cancel the build queue or the order queue for the current team.

But rather than expect EA to do this for us, I've seen the future. A great tiberium future and ore future as well: we have to consider that there is already a great public engine that is evolving a lot recently called OpenRA. It is free to play, online and offline with an unlimited mod support. Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 support for it is getting better and the videos below shows two mods for it that uses the Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 features from OpenRA. Check it out:

Shattered Paradise (Tiberian Sun based mod for OpenRA):

Attaque Supérior (Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge based mod for OpenRA)

Key Words: #News #Rumors #Command&Conquer #Mobile #FreeToPlay #OpenRA #AttacqueSupérior #ShatteredParadise #Modification #TiberianSun #RedAlert2 #RedAlert3 #JimVessela 

Last edited by Banshee on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:04 pm; edited 4 times in total

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really hope it's not another mobile C&C game...

It better not be another mobile.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really hope it's nothing related to C&C. Let the series (and its mods) live in death already, it doesn't need any extra damage to its reputation from EA.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
(and its mods)

what?
C&C will live forever, but only and especially in mods and indie games.
The time for profit oriented companies ruining C&C is over.

Thanks for the news Banshee.

Funny to see some familiar units in Shattered Paradise Smile

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's pretty much what I meant with the series living in death. Dead officially, but continuing life through mods and indies #Tongue

I wouldn't mind a for-profit company making new C&C games if they made those games great. But EA has shown that they're not competent enough.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've made some improvements in my first post, specially on my suggestion for a proper interface for RTS mobile games.

Quote:

I do understand your point. I trully do. RTS is boring on mobiles because it is hard to manage them. This is why I've proposed an interface solution that would make this kind of game more viable. Of course that it still needs to be incremented.

Quote:
I wouldn't mind a for-profit company making new C&C games if they made those games great. But EA has shown that they're not competent enough.

I don't think they are incompetent. The main problem are the decisions from its executives. Making a game to get a lot of cash on it is not a problem. However, the way EA wants to do it is a tragedy, from my point of view. They should have focused on selling the lore of the game (campaign) and game modes and new factions that really changed the experience, such as they did before by selling games and expansion packs. Using game experience that needs to be farmed (or obtaining it with money) that boosts stats or unlocks random factions is something that is destined to screw up games. It naturally unbalances the game. Also, forcing too much online services on it doesn't just kills modding, but it kills the replayability of the game, restrict it to regions with a better internet infrastructure and, in extreme cases (like what it was done with C&C F2P) kills the game once it is no longer interesting to EA, which is a major kick in the back of its users. Why would you pay for something that will disappear after few years? Most of these online games doesn't even survive a single year... C&C F2P was only one of the many who had this fate.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even with the traditional approach they couldn't make the games good enough. I liked C&C3's gameplay, but the campaign was fairly dull, the story was a huge disappointment (not following Firestorm at all), and the multiplayer map variety was lacking. I never played RA3, but looking at sales and how well the game has aged popularity wise compared to for example RA2, it's clear that it wasn't a great success either. Then there's C&C4.

Of course they've fired the studio since then and built a new one, but I wouldn't trust them to make anything decent at this point.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Even with the traditional approach they couldn't make the games good enough. I liked C&C3's gameplay, but the campaign was fairly dull, the story was a huge disappointment (not following Firestorm at all), and the multiplayer map variety was lacking.

I have a similar opinion to yours regarding C&C3 and I agree that their take on the storyline was bad creating a bunch of flaws in the story. Despite that problem, the team was good and the overall result was a fun game. But the storyline issue was also affected by what the executives of the publisher have done some years before the game was released, by disposing the original Westwood Studios, how they brought people who did not understand the direction of the franchise and how the direction of the game was designed to approach the environment of the original C&C game instead of Tiberian Sun (great mistake!). If you continue a game, you must be consistent with the closets game rather than another era of the lore.

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MadHQ wrote:

Even they do, i hope they'll publish it for Android too. It is too annoying that RA Mobile is IOS only and i can't play it.

But i'm waiting something better than RA Mobile and anything that doesn't ruins the CnC more.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree C&C lives in death thru the technology of Mods, like Open RA and ARES.even just game emulation across various game engines. So an official C&C would be nice, but hopefully they keep it simple and mod friendly. Smile  Mobile, well i hope it can also be on PC too.

Anyways heres a rambling idea for any future C&C-like

Was thinking the other after playing some DTA and just soaking up the look and feel ..and imagining it mixed with Terraria or just more sandboxy.

Not sure if anyone did this while playing any C&C game but once you get your income set and its end game is well you beat the AI, and you stop, score screen..done? or you go into SIMCITY base mode and build a fancy uber base like in the campaigns. Now what if that was expanded upon?

Imagine crazy random events happen like enemies reinvade- basically a uber AI force scans available spawn points, if you built on it, they air raid it or nuke it. rebuilding a base quickly to take you down again. It could scan your income, tech level, and unit count to determine a its difficulty. yeah you can game it abit but you got  fancy base, lets see how it handles a new round of AI.

Timed special faction invasions.. like scrin portals, giant ant swarming to mutant dinosaur rampages. Maybe toss in some classic PS1 chrono vortex events, to visceroid civilian uprising. Other events could be like protect convoys, or locate enemy spies/commandos in your base.

Rewards could be special units, unit skins, elite units, themed super weapons, stolen tech. etc.

Granted the enemies must be challenging since you now know the map, and probably have a large pool of income so it should be substantial event to challenge you and also be rewarding. just something to give life to the fancy SIM base style game.

Plus potential multiplayer ops allowing friends to challenge your base or team up against the AI for greater glory! Even game mode like they start with a small strike force and see if they can find a weakness in your base commando style.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It wouldn't be difficult to use a multi-touch for selecting units in a box, and you could have an automatic popup near the bottom asking what kind of operation you like before clicking something else with them selected.

Likewise build queues would be easy enough to add/remove with swipes, like the list pops up on the right, you swipe them left to add them, and they will show a scrolling dock of items on the left side of the screen once added. Then removing could be as simple as swiping them off the left side to cancel.

Just requires some basic understanding of simple interfaces, and translating a mouse operation into something that makes sense.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You typoed Attacque in the hashtag.

Otherwise I find the rumor overhyped. OpenRA will be the longterm future anyway if you're a pre-Renegade C&C fan. It's only a matter of a - long for some I guess - time for it to reach the WW level but it will.

I also consider C&C dead from EA. They also killed the Crusader series afterall where the mobile/handhold game was basically done just EA disallowed to release it afterall yet it would have been a success.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see how OpenRA is the long term future if you are a pre-renegade fan at all, the engine has very little to do with the original engines if anything and it doesn't even play the original content. The content that it does have that matches the originals has had to be converted or recreated. Other than that the WW mods are their own games skinned to look like the WW games.

If you are a fan of 2D RTS games in general then it certainly has potential for the future though if some enterprising modders/developers get some good original IP developed on it.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Having played OpenRA, the engine is improving, perhaps close to the TS engine in quality, with some graphical improvements for sure. BUT, my mod was always centered around just enough new units to enhance tactical variety, and the AI that can take advantage of it, so it doesn't interest me at the moment.

Also, the way I see it, until the OpenRA AI can be customized as they can in TS/RA2/YR to behave specifically, I think it will be relegated to a niche multiplayer game, not unlike many cellphone games. Easy-in/easy-out.

Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
I don't see how OpenRA is the long term future if you are a pre-renegade fan at all, the engine has very little to do with the original engines if anything and it doesn't even play the original content. The content that it does have that matches the originals has had to be converted or recreated. Other than that the WW mods are their own games skinned to look like the WW games.

Not sure what you mean with original content, but last time I checked my mod - I am totally sure that I am using the same SHP, Voxels, HVA, AUD and PALs I can use in TD, RA, TS, RA2, YR - with the extra that I have great freedom of possibilities.

Well the only thing which is different is INI vs YAML. But thats no excuse. It took me not even one full day to port the core of my mod from TS to OpenRA.

G-E wrote:
Having played OpenRA, the engine is improving, perhaps close to the TS engine in quality, with some graphical improvements for sure. BUT, my mod was always centered around just enough new units to enhance tactical variety, and the AI that can take advantage of it, so it doesn't interest me at the moment.

Also, the way I see it, until the OpenRA AI can be customized as they can in TS/RA2/YR to behave specifically, I think it will be relegated to a niche multiplayer game, not unlike many cellphone games. Easy-in/easy-out.

HackyAI can be customized, only downside is that build units are based on % factors. But even without that you can make turtle, rush, steamroller, horde, whatever kind of AIs, if you want to control it more you can also use buildlimits for it.

But in the future this one may be replaced with a lua based one. But it's current state already doing a good job in my opinion (not flawless ofc).

What I really like in OpenRA are simple customizable details like recoil of barrels, turrets, contrails, weapons, global upgrades, specific upgrades etc...

Or even possibilities like aircraft dogfights:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B64PmajIy3xDeVAtOWRtYWs2OGc/view?usp=sharing

This unit for example has 3 seperate barrels attached to one turret, each barrel has one weapon assigned with a custom recoil. Also notice that the shadows are correct compared to TS. Also I prefer the rendering method of voxels here much better, as they are actual 3D objects and turn way smoother.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh cool, I totally wasn't expecting Banshee to showcase my mod, here is the stream if anybody wants to take a look.
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Funny to see some familiar units in Shattered Paradise Smile

Your units look good, I just had to add them, gj Smile.
Blade wrote:
I don't see how OpenRA is the long term future if you are a pre-renegade fan at all.

The only differences are that the engine is different (its way easier to handle), there are some new assets afaik and the balance on the classic mods is a little different, but meh, if you don't like the balance, change it, ORA is the modders paradise, changing stuff is extremely easy.

As long as EA does not add more nonsense (story wise) to the RA and Tiberium universes I'm all good, they made enough harm already.  IMO they should start a new with a new universe, even merging games would work fine, like combine Mass Effect with the C&C formula, that would be better than... anything else that will come out in reality. As long as their vision doesn't change, we should expect EA to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Last edited by Nolt on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like that green particle rain. The turret recoil is nice too. The fat, bright tracers not so much.

One thing I notice in OpenRA is that while it looks like classic C&C (because it uses the same graphics), it doesn't actually feel like classic C&C while playing. The basic behaviour of units, projectiles and everything is significantly different. It's probably possible to make it feel more like classic C&C though, not sure how hard it'd be. With that change I think it could eventually replace the originals. Until then, most experienced players will most likely prefer the original games to OpenRA's official mods.

OpenRA's engine still looks great for new games / mods that don't need the classic feeling though.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mods that feel like the original games without balance changes are an often requested feature. I tried it myself years ago and wasn't very happy with the result as it didn't retain the original feeling nor was fun to play. It probably has to be done by someone with deep knowledge about the original's workings and good attention to detail. Maintaining it inside the OpenRA project itself also turned out not to work well due to lack of manpower. As no one wants to start a thirdparty classic mod project, I assume it is best to wait until http://redalertpp.org is not a file format tech demo anymore, but a real playable game. That might take a long time though guessing from their rare progress reports.

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
Even with the traditional approach they couldn't make the games good enough. I liked C&C3's gameplay, but the campaign was fairly dull, the story was a huge disappointment (not following Firestorm at all), and the multiplayer map variety was lacking. I never played RA3, but looking at sales and how well the game has aged popularity wise compared to for example RA2, it's clear that it wasn't a great success either. Then there's C&C4.

Of course they've fired the studio since then and built a new one, but I wouldn't trust them to make anything decent at this point.

i really enjoyed c&C 3 and play alot of it to this day,(the only goodish EA c&C game) but it is a double edged sword of a game,(the lets ignore lore part didnt really bug me that much tbh) kanes wraith i loved because of the different factions,but then the factions tendency to be "cyborg infantry faction" or Black Hand "fire faction", was both fun and frustrating. the lack of SDK for kanes wraith was super annoying though.

c&c 4 was a massive let down in terms of gameplay , endlessly spaming units with no resource cost, the population cap pissed me off , but the unit concepts that they interduced i think were on the money, i love the concept of the units and the different factions, but then they go and execute them in the crappy cartoonish style. and then there's the super convoluted story, kane joining forces with gdi (the ztyping traitor) the tiberium array networks and kanes ultimate betrayal and abondonment at the end, all royally pissed me off. one can only hope that the next c&C game in the tiberium universe completely ignores this and follow on from C&C3 while taking some unit concepts with them

the problem is in todays market is , the C&C flavour of rts game is redundant (currently) , most RTS games that are released these days i would actually consider to be "tactical"  games, like that of Dawn of war 2.

the mobile market is a massive market but with my windows tablet i can play tiberian sun and its mods all day long without buying upgrades on a f2p system. whats the point in releaseing a mobile C&C if its only there to make a quick buck. generally games attempting to make a quick buck are poorly maintained and updated.

the only F2P system ive seen that actually works is League of legends, and even then there currently overhauling it be more money grabbing.

cant westwood just have a revival, im sure the old westwood crowd would get a ton of money on crowd funding project. (ignoring the fact that EA is the licence holder of the tiberium universe)

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Westwood is dead. Their spiritual successor (Petroglyph Games) hasn't made anything good for a decade either, and all fans are so disappointed that they couldn't get a new project crowd-funded. Their last serious attempt at creating a good RTS was Grey Goo, and it was far from a huge success.

With the exception of mods and indies like OpenRA, C&C is dead and will stay dead.

It's pretty sad how there isn't any decent RTS game that would introduce the next generation of gamers to the genre, meaning that the whole classic RTS genre is stagnating and isn't really getting new fans anymore. LoL made MOBAs a really popular genre and CSGO revived competitive FPSs, but there's nothing similar in sight for the RTS genre (there's Starcraft 2, but it's not doing that well compared to MOBAs).

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i dont think so. c&C games are all im playing apart from league of legends, quality in games has nose dived, features and game logic is sacrificed for pretty graphics and simple mechanics. and with mods like Twisted insurrection the game looks prettier than an mobile rts game i can get. with the right PR and development a new generation of fans can come to love tiberian sun and red alert 2, even C&C95,because of its high gameplay value. with mods  and the content in the community as a whole.

i will agree C&C4 added a nail into the coffin though

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO the Wargame series is an incredibly solid entry to the RTS genre. A game by the same devs, Act of Aggression is also pretty good, an attempt to harken back to old-school CNC style RTSs.

Problem with those games is mainly that there is absolutely no modding or map support of any kind.

Those capabilities are extremely important to the longevity of a game.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the absence of lineage or well known lore like the C&C and RA series, even a good rts feels unconnected. In a way it feels like starting over again with a new gf, and you can't be sure you want to keep her, because you don't know how you'll feel about it once the newness wears off.

We all know the quirks of the WW games, and I would argue that our loyalty to the series helps us overlook many of them. Where we can't overlook them, there's always mods to open the door to new experiences, without abandoning the familiar elements entirely.

User made maps and mods are important, but I think those serve more as a bridge between the phases of new enjoyment and foggy nostalgia. Without the nostalgia, the bridge leads nowhere...

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The one thing that could bring C&C back would be sequel to C&C 4 in which someone messes with the scrin tower for some reason. The plan backfires, time portals rip open and all C&C factions from all time periods and alternate universes clash against each other
How's that for some fireworks?
Or wait: how about a RTS/Tower-defense/FPS hybrid?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Or wait: how about a RTS/Tower-defense/FPS hybrid?

Hybrid? Like Spore? I've never played it, but it has different gameplay mechanics in different times of the game which sounds good. But i'm not sure how this can be implemented on CnC.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant that you could be a soldier, while your friend is a commander who can give you orders (or rather: suggestions). Imagine Renegade X with the bots controlled by your buddy via RTS interface
I'm sure though that years will have to be invested in this engine, if not decades

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or they can re skin battlefield 2 or any other sequel that uses that system.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!