Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm
All times are UTC + 0
8-Bit Armies, from Petroglyph Games
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject:  8-Bit Armies, from Petroglyph Games
Subject description: Voxel invasion confirmed!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It seems that Petroglyph Games, the authors of Grey Goo are working on a new real time strategy game called 8-Bit Armies. It is still work in progress, but it seems to be developed enough to get a Steam page of its own. Check the video and tell us if something on it rings a bell in some way:

Quote:
A Blast from the Past
8-Bit Armies is a classic, C&C-style Real-Time Strategy PC game. It's our most fast-paced, friendly, and accessible RTS game to date. Featuring offline single-player missions, co-op mode, skirmish, and PvP multiplayer modes running on dedicated servers.

Initial release includes:

25 offline campaign missions
   10 co-op missions to play with your friends
   10 multiplayer/skirmish maps that support up to 8 players online
   AI with multiple difficulty options to play with cooperatively or fight against
   Classic Base-Building mechanics let you construct the ultimate HQ from which to launch attacks against your foes
   Destructible environments on maps ranging from small to very large
   Easy to understand modern military units and structures lets RTS beginners jump right in
   From the same team that brought you RTS classics such as Star Wars: Empire at War, Universe at War, and Grey Goo

8-Bit Armies is for anyone that enjoys RTS games, or felt overwhelmed by more serious games. With hours of solo and co-op gameplay included, there's something here for everyone!

And for those who are wondering about modding for this new game, here's a quick answer:

Quote:
Question: Are there any plans to introduce modding tools or a level editor?

Answer: Yes, we have plans to release the tools sometime after launch. If the demand is there, we'll definitely provide them. We know how important it is to get players building and sharing content for the game. Right now, our focus is on a great core game first.

I won't be surprised if what they are calling 'tools' will be just a map editor with, at the best of the possibilities, the ability to add custom civilian buildings on it.

Key Words: #8BitArmies #News #PetroglyphGames #Modding 

Last edited by Banshee on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Considering the blockyness of the game I wonder if it's using voxels..!?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It looks quite interesting. Would be nice to see a game that does not care much for advanced realistic graphics. Mine Alert Craft!

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Personally I hate that kind of art style, but I am really looking forward to this game at the same time. I have high hopes for this.

Mig Eater wrote:
Considering the blockyness of the game I wonder if it's using voxels..!?

If it does, you already have all the work required for a total conversion. Very Happy

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't help but wonder whether Petroglyph decided to go with a game with graphics like this because they ran out of money and had to produce something quick and cheap.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the game is voxel/cube based it wouldn't be that hard for them to make some sort of minecraft style map editor or even a unit creator etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can ram buildings, thats new...

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander wrote:
I can't help but wonder whether Petroglyph decided to go with a game with graphics like this because they ran out of money and had to produce something quick and cheap.

Pretty sure you're right. Pixel games are so common, indie, and cheap, that I'm really tired of seeing it.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't care for block graphics either, but this is the closest looking thing to classsic C&C I've seen since RA2 so I'm holding out hope.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it, while it seems to be a game tailored for mobile despite the cursor, it's better than that tripe EA will be spewing out lol

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would argue that most developers are moving to ways they can create games for phones. Many old games like Carmageddon have received a new life on phones because they were designed for a similar level of processing and even smaller screens. Many of those old games make perfect candidates to port to handhelds.

This game strikes me as a hedge-your-bet engine, they should be able to adapt it to nearly any device if it proves popular.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My confidence in Petroglyph to make anything better than "solid all in all, but nothing really special" PC RTS has continously gone downhill after sw:eaw. While far from perfect, that was their most fun game IMO.
With UAW it was pretty obvious they would have needed at least 6-8 months more to improve performance and balance, flesh out the campaign a bit more and improve the design of that egyptian gods faction that was so bland and boring I forgot the name Masari until a second ago.

As for GreyGoo, it was basically some nice gameplay ideas + good cg videos and solid F.K. soundtrack mixed with a lot of nothing-special-ness and a barely passing-grade campaign.

TBH, I think the primary reasons why they're still alive are Frank Klepacki and the never-ending hope for a new "C&C in disguise".

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They should aim for the shock and horror tactic they used to launch C&C with their next one.

command-conquer-game-rear-flank-small-26345.jpg
 Description:
Hahahaha
 Filesize:  40.41 KB
 Viewed:  9402 Time(s)

command-conquer-game-rear-flank-small-26345.jpg

Hassan_2030
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I really like this 8bit thing Exclamation  Very Happy  Exclamation

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well they have my money on this one.  Razz

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reminds me of my attempts at voxel creation.I seriously dont like the art style. and on that alone i wont be getting it. will be interesting to see what game mechanics it has though.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The song reminds me of act on instinct
The game itself just looks rediculous and reminds me of critical mass / critical annihilation
All in all: ME WANT IT!

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!