Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Dev Blog #2
Moderators: Nolt
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:  Dev Blog #2
Subject description: August Update
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

August Update, WARNING: This post contains a great amount of animated images, I decided to hide them using spoilers to save your broadband in case you take a look at this post more than once. If this article makes it to the main page, look for the forum post instead as the gifs don't seem to animate on the main page. This is a clone of the article I posted on MODDB yesterday.

A few months have passed since the last update, a lot a things got in, some units got reworked, some dummy workarounds have been replaced with proper traits, and the most important incorporation are the new Super Weapons.

Spoiler (click here to read it):

First things first, CABAL’s artillery got reworked, the idea of it being a sneaky unit that slowly dealt damage didn’t fit his style, instead now it’s a heavy mech that floods the enemy with drones and also converts killed enemies into cyborgs, nom nom nom. Their tier 1 anti armor drone has been removed from the rooster and it was replaced by something more interesting...

It’s a hover drone that can be deployed, once it’s deployed it cloaks itself and will fire on any target near without breaking it’s cloak, similar to a good old Zerg Lurker, well I played Lurker Defence for years so there was no way I wasn’t going to add something like it, the only catch it has is that this unit also converts killed enemies into cyborgs, so it can be useful for defence and ambush operations (Cabal’s main turret is anti armor, so this unit pairs well with those).

The Forgotten Bull got a new mechanic since I felt that aura units give little to the gameplay, so it switched to something more active, when attacking, it will spit gas as its enemy as well as it will also release hormones nearby, making any putting infantry units near in a berserk mode, that means their speed is increased along it’s attack speed, but they also lose health in the process, at the start I tweaked them so your units could die from the effect of your toxins, but since that can also lead to some good amounts of trolling, the poison will stop draining health when the unit has less than 60% health, here you can see an example of how not to use the unit, the lesson here is that you should be very careful when using the Bull and also the Forg MRLS, which is the unit that created those nasty gas clouds.

Another small detail with the Forgotten Beasts that I felt was needed to differentiate them from standard infantry is that now once they reach less than 50% health they become frenzied, which means they become uncontrollable but gain increased combat stats, mostly damage resistance, speed and attack speed, they heal back to a controllable state moderately fast once the fight is over of course but yeah, beasts are not meant to be disciplined and controllable, so be careful how you handle them in a fight.

Also, I decided to give the Scrin Colossus an aura damage effect when ordered to deploy, similar to a desolator, the reason for this is that the unit was mostly a tanky infantry that could be ignored very easily.

Finally we also got Super Weapons, for this mod I decided to follow the red alert 1 and 2 Super Weapon designs, meaning 1 Offensive power and one utility power, now I’m going to show you an improved version of the Forgotten and Scrin superweapons, which was made possible thanks to the effort of Graion Dilach.

CABAL also has his own Super Weapon: a Plasma / Energy / Hype cannon named after my favourite band that fires three shots at the targetted area, I’m still unsure how I am going to balance all of this but, atleast it exists.

About the Forgotten and CABAL support super weapons, the Forgotten get to spawn neutral Veinhole monsters on the map and CABAL will be able to flood a location with nanomachines, repairing nearby units and converting any fallen unit into cyborgs, I would show some graphics for those but there are not enough to justify.

Finally, even tho the Beta stage of the mod could be considered ready at this point (the primary goal is completed but the game still misses sounds, voices, maps and animations), the mod won't be released in this website until the Tiberian Sun mod for OpenRA is out, that doesn't mean people can't play it tho, you are free to join as a tester if you desire to, the mod still lacks a great deal of balance, so any help in this matter would be really apreciated. Join my discord server if you are interested! https://discord.gg/yf5pFzg (My GMT is -3).

That is all, I hope you like what you see, until next time.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't think spoilers stop things loading though. #Tongue

Maybe the CABAL artillery (and it could be a bigger CABAL feature too perhaps) could collect corpses spawned from killed infantry and turn those into cyborgs instead, rather than an instant mutator. Kinda like that Undead corpse collecting artillery in Warcraft 3. You could even make it so that only certain weapons allow the corpse to spawn, so gunning down infantry would spawn more corpses than explosive or energy weapons that vapourise them.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Omegabolt is right. Spoilers doesn't prevent these images from being loaded.

And yea, I'll clone it to the main page. And the main page is still unable to clone animated gifs properly at the moment. I still couldn't figure out how to do it, resizing it with PHP. I research it once in a while. I hope I can fix this problem one day.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I guess next time I should post images and leave some imgur links to show gifs then, they look great but man they are heavy.

OmegaBolt wrote:
Maybe the CABAL artillery (and it could be a bigger CABAL feature too perhaps) could collect corpses spawned from killed infantry and turn those into cyborgs instead, rather than an instant mutator. Kinda like that Undead corpse collecting artillery in Warcraft 3...

That's the main idea, the only detail is that I left things this way to allow some automation and reduce micro, husks look great on RA1 but I don't think TS will look nice if there is a sea of dead infantry that will likely obstruct pathing. so instead I went by creating some weak spawnable units that can be grinded if they survive the fight, the other option would be to turn them into a layer (tiberium) and harvest them with a special harvester, but then, without the harvester the only way to get rid of them is force fire, the AI can't handle that and it also complicates things.

ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, next time you don't need to do any magic with GIFs. Some hours after your post has cached in the main page, I've modified the image caching code to cache GIF animations using a 3rd party library. It doesn't crash the script, which is a good sign, but I'm still not sure if it generates the animations correctly. So, I hope the upcoming news posts help me to test that #Tongue.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
This looks nice. Good job.

How do you created the gifs? Is the inbuild screenshot function already updated?

I don't know about Nolt, but personally, I record an AVI with an old freeware version of HyperCam 2 and then convert that AVI to GIF via some websites that do that directly for free.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nolt wrote:
OmegaBolt wrote:
Maybe the CABAL artillery (and it could be a bigger CABAL feature too perhaps) could collect corpses spawned from killed infantry and turn those into cyborgs instead, rather than an instant mutator. Kinda like that Undead corpse collecting artillery in Warcraft 3...

That's the main idea, the only detail is that I left things this way to allow some automation and reduce micro, husks look great on RA1 but I don't think TS will look nice if there is a sea of dead infantry that will likely obstruct pathing. so instead I went by creating some weak spawnable units that can be grinded if they survive the fight, the other option would be to turn them into a layer (tiberium) and harvest them with a special harvester, but then, without the harvester the only way to get rid of them is force fire, the AI can't handle that and it also complicates things.

I'm pretty sure turning husks into a custom effect-alike and having a custom trait to interact with those effects are a possible option.

LKO: I use ScreenToGif, but that patch already got merged yes.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use ScreenToGif aswell, it synergises with the fact that I can't play the game on full screen mode because I get a no mouse glitch -.-

Well, I'm going to see if I can change instant conversion for something else... The cyborgs were meant to fund the players economy so I just used the tools that were available on the time (This this was in since last year).

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neat. I like the screen shake when buildings collapse and SWs are used. It's one thing I really missed fromTS (albeit it's probably something you get bored with eventually)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon