Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Map Editor
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goblin3321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:  Map Editor
Subject description: Error message
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi guys, I would like to play a bit with the map editor, but it won't start even after deleting FinalSun.ini. The error says:
Tiberian Sun is not correctly installed (TibSun.mix could not be loaded)
Can you please help me?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just start the client once and it'll create a new FinalSun.ini file for you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Goblin3321

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have tried to delete the .ini file, but it did't work. What should I try next?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just start the client once so that it creates a new FinalSun.ini file with the correct path for you and then either start the map editor directly from the client or run FinalSun_DTA.exe.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Goblin3321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bittah Commander, I tried it. I start the client all the time I want to play a game and I tried to start the map editor through the client and without it. Then I deleted the .ini and started the client, the client created a new .ini file and it didn't work. When I open the FinalSun.ini the path to the exe file seems to be correct.

Goblin3321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sorry for double posting, I managed it to manually write down the correct path and now it works, thank you for the help. Smile

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's unusual... Could you tell me the exact path that's entered after you delete the FinalSun.ini file and the client creates a new one? And what's the correct path?

Goblin3321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soo I found out the .ini file error... If I delete it and start the map editor without the client menu, I can manually enter the .exe file path to it and it works correctly. But if I start the client, it overwrites the path in the .ini file and it stops working. It is a bit of a workaround to delete the .ini or overwrite it manually all the time and start the map editor without the client, but it works just fine.

For example, when I start up the client, it changes the path in the ini file from
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\New folder\DTA.exe
to
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\New folder\
all the time.

And one more thing. Why I can't look at the mission maps through the map editor? It always  makes an error message:
"Fatal error! FinalSun doesn't support this map!"
Is it intended this way so the players cannot mess with them or is something wrong with it? Only a few mission maps can be opened and viewed into. This thing happened also in the previous versions of the game when I tried it.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Goblin3321 wrote:
Soo I found out the .ini file error... If I delete it and start the map editor without the client menu, I can manually enter the .exe file path to it and it works correctly. But if I start the client, it overwrites the path in the .ini file and it stops working. It is a bit of a workaround to delete the .ini or overwrite it manually all the time and start the map editor without the client, but it works just fine.

For example, when I start up the client, it changes the path in the ini file from
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\New folder\DTA.exe
to
C:\Users\Username\Desktop\New folder\
all the time.

For me it works both with and without including DTA.exe in the path. What operating system are you currently running on?
Either way, I don't think it should be too difficult for Rampastring to make the client include the executable name in the path as well, so it'll likely be fixed in an upcoming update.
Goblin3321 wrote:
Why I can't look at the mission maps through the map editor? It always  makes an error message:
"Fatal error! FinalSun doesn't support this map!"
Is it intended this way so the players cannot mess with them or is something wrong with it? Only a few mission maps can be opened and viewed into. This thing happened also in the previous versions of the game when I tried it.

This is done intentionally so that people won't just use the map editor to make the missions easier or to figure out where everything is. We considered doing the same for Co-Op missions as well, but we decided against it because DTA is the first (and currently still the only) mod with Co-Op missions and we wanted people to at least be able to examine them to figure out how they're made if they want to make their own Co-Op missions.
To figure out how singleplayer missions are made on the other hand, you can already just examine missions from Tiberian Sun and you're of course always free to ask if you need further assistance.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually think we could un-protect the older missions, since most people have already played them and they'd be good examples for scripting. At least The Toxic Diversion missions could be made open, same with all the easier / simpler single missions (Reunification, Stealthy Inhibition, Tutorial missions, Red Paradise, Desperate Grip, maybe even Frostbite since we've released a playthrough video of it).

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum