Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Recreating Beta Flamethrower Rehaviour
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject:  Recreating Beta Flamethrower Rehaviour
Subject description: Is it possible?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was looking at one of the early TS footages from E3 '98, and I noticed something interesting. The Flame Tanks seem to use a particle system that, unlike the final Devil Tongue's flamethrower, is not obstructed by slopes, and even fires while the unit is turning, thus creating very interesting and useful fire arcs. This beta particle system seems a thousand times more useful than the one we got now, so I'm wondering, if by tinkering with the particle system options, could it be recreated? Or did Westwood for god-knows-why remove some essential functionality to enable it?

The video in question is here:

The particle system can be seen at 1:25.[/youtube]

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hard to tell from the super shitty graphic, but to me it looks graphic wise like the one we have in TS.
It only seems to emit a lot more particles and thus appears thicker and maybe also use a slightly bigger flame animation.

Since it fires from top terrain down, it's also nothing special as this works in TS the same way. Only from bottom up doesn't work since the slopes stop the stream.

Only the firing while turning is different.
In our version the particlesystem is only created once on the units position at the moment the weapon is fired.
In the video the particlesystem changes its position according to the unit during the PS lifetime.

It seems they really removed some logic.
I tried a few different things (like Fire PS with Gas Particles etc) but nothing gave the same effect of particles being emitted from the rotating unit.
In our TS, as soon as a unit gets another command, the particlesystem stops emitting fire particles.
If the unit fires on a passing by target, it also doesn't rotate and keep facing the target. It just stops in the facing it had when it started to shoot.

Since in the video the last of the 2 FTNKs kills itself with its own flame, i assume it used back then some kind of Gas particle logic. Because Fire particles in TS can't harm the unit that fired them.
So definitely a different particlesystem there in the video.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's no doubt cut for performance reasons as such needs wayyy more particle counts (constant firing allowed from source thus it follows) and we know how ineffective the particle engine is.

Still, I love how oversized the beta explosions are and even the projectile, clearly very experimental stage.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reminds me on RA2 behaviour when tanks get hit so they retaliate while moving

also those bouncing disks are hilarious haha

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon