Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Adding "Factions" to TS
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject:  Adding "Factions" to TS Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello.

From a time I have wanted to add factions to TS, a mix between RA2 "countries" and CNC3 factions...

But TS is not allowing me to do it.

The only way I can think of to do it practically yet is adding more "countries", then trying to diverge the technology from there. this is my attempt:

[NodSlavik]
Name=JP
Suffix=NOD
Prefix=B
Color=Burgandy
Multiplay=yes
Side=GDI
SmartAI=yes

I add it to the list too.

[Houses]
0=GDI
1=Nod
2=Neutral
3=Special
4=NodSlavik
;5=NodToxic
;6=NodCABAL
;7=GDIMutant
;8=GDIHammer
;9=GDISpace

However, nothing appear when launching Skrimish game.

I am using the CNCnet. Other changes in the .ini work.

Does it has to do with using a different .exe for the "game lobby"?

I think this is interfering; there must be another list because they have additional options such as "???" and "Spectator" which are not on the original game.

If so, how do I change it? How do I add my new factions to this launcher?

Otherwise...
Would the normal TibSun firestorm exe work on a CNCnet directory installation?

Regards,
NimoStar.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Put NodSlavik before Neutral/Special in [Houses]. Add as a new side in [Sides].
That should get you the additional side for human player in vanilla game.

AI playable side needs a hack in the game.exe and more INI changes.
Tool to apply hacks - http://www.ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=37926
You could find updated TS hacks INI in a later post.

I am not familiar with the CnCNet version as I tried it only once or twice. You could
look at DTA mod or try TS Client: http://www.ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=40462

Tutorials:
http://www.ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=34943
http://www.ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=40689

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for your help and feedback.

I actually have an easier (and maybe, better) way of adding new countries with their own tech.
TS doesn't have "requiredhouses" apparently, which would be anough to add exclusive units and tech tree...
(http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/RequiredHouses)
However, with "Owner=" you can change something much more simple: The starting MCV.
The different MCV can then serve as the prerequisite for your faction-specific tech.

RA2Yuri is optimized to use more than two sides playable...
But I reckon, if TS allows more than one unit, separated by commas, at "BaseUnit=MCV            ; unit to consider "home" when no buildings are present" , then multiple factions are easily possible without hacking or adding new "Sides".
This worked perfectly in the other game and the only thing is that you cannot add more UIs this way, you need to choose one of the three existing ones (or replace them)

Anyways... I will test this in TS, but I did not want to have to download anything because it takes a whole night in my connection even the 200 MB

Alas, it seems that it is the only choice, so I will have to wait for that TS client before saying anything else; because CnCNet crashes even if I add a simple engineer infantry...

PS:
Damn, it seems as in TS there can only be one MCV type: http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/BaseUnit and that "owner" works only with sides in TS, not countries: http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/Owner I will need to find a workaround, like for example having an additional deployable starting unit that comes with "units"...

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Making additional sides and countries in YR with Ares is simple compared
to TS workarounds. Also YR countries are different from TS side mechanism.

You don't have to rediscover making additional sides in TS. With first tutorial
link, you could do it in vanilla TS.

TS Client is a fixed version of TS with client interface which allows to make use
of spawned units for side's starting unit as described in the second tutorial link.

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Countries" are actually the same as "Houses". And I saw that wiki is wrong, the TS exe does use Houses in unit and other entity ownership, not sides. They probably got confused because both the side and the house of GDI and Nod are called the same, but they are not the same thing (I wonder if anything goes wrong if you change the name everywhere to be distinguishable like "NodSide" and "NodHouse")

The TS Client has only given me more problems, They don't recognize my new voxels, at least not while outside of the mixes, and neither the SHPs...

Plus, they also have a hardcoded Launcher (and don't allow you to use the normal TS launcher). Are you sure they will recognize extra sides to appear on it?

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NimoStar wrote:
Are you sure they will recognize extra sides to appear on it?

Sure, the 2nd tutorial link is about that only.

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the dta client is was easier but you need to tweak other ini files and add custom or clone  faction icons so the launcher can show them as selectable, its all on these forums, also

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I don't place my resource files into the mix, units are invisible and/or game crashes when trying to display them.

If I place the files into the .mixes (and yes, I checked to use the correct ones), game dies on "gathering intel on involved factions"...

and this was even without adding or changing any faction, just trying to slipt the GDI and NOD light infantry.

I don't get it. Twisted Insurrection could do it.

And Twisted Insurrection is based on this client and I could mod it (although I don't remember adding assets, maybe its that)...

Perhaps I will just have to try to recreate Tiberian Sun in RA2 engine and then mod it from there :/

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 is used in multiple places in rules/art/ai files, even hardcoded in game.exe
for droppod. If you are changing then change in all places.

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ive got extra sides selectable on my dta launcher,though i had to do some research, its all on ppm, its relatively simple adding a new side and faction, but you need to change global options.ini for the launcher to show your factions as selectable in the clients skirmish launcher, also to be selectable they require a faction icon, named in the same manner as the vanilla faction icons, located in the same place as the faction icons (its the same location as your global options ini.)

then the hard part is the prerequisite buildings workaround, the mcv cloning, the factions tech tree, workaround to avoid the multiple owner bugs, and minor things like the 100 unit bug occuring when you capture all the enemy faction buidlings.

then learning to use the spawner to allow starting units (which isnt possible without the spawner,as vanilla ts can only have multiple factions and starting units if you edit every single map to spawn the starting units. the dta spawner may come a standalone its worth researching.)

perhaps if you are finding replacing the light infantry a tad challenging. to postpone adding new factions as it is a trifle more difficult. i asked alot of questions last year on this very issue if you  search through my posts you could find some helpful response i got.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon