Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 am
All times are UTC + 0
voxel trouble
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:  voxel trouble Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so i create a model in blender, i bake procedurial materials onto  a uv map within the blender file itself . once baked i export to 3ds.

using the 3ds2vxl i convert said 3ds file.

i then edit it to be remappable, and porform the oblgitary auto normals and smooth normals

now then i export the texture from voxel section editor. i open up gimp and edit the texture to add AA to the texture image.

i import the texture back into voxel section editor . then i get white or coloured dots on the voxel. the voxel before the exporting the texture iage didnt have white dots

experimenting with it, using auto normals moves the white dots do different locations but doesnt rid me of them. the white dots appear to be linked to thew red remap, ive started noticing it on some public release models.

how can i get rid of the white dots or colored dots on different remaps. and why is t only affecting the voxel after i import a new texture on it

whitedots3.png
 Description:
risized experiment with experimentingg with auto normals. less'ish white dots
 Filesize:  505.52 KB
 Viewed:  2682 Time(s)

whitedots3.png

whitedots2.png
 Description:
attempt 2. simple texturing, still yeilded white dots
 Filesize:  428.45 KB

whitedots2.png

whitedots.png
 Description:
attempt 1 at textures, lots of white dots
 Filesize:  508.79 KB

whitedots.png

pretexture.png
 Description:
the voxel straight outta 3ds2vxl (after preliminary, auto normals and smoothing, so not quite so fresh outta 3ds2vl) but main thing, no white dots
 Filesize:  505.72 KB

pretexture.png

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't need Smooth Normals. It was only needed when 1.1 was the only available normalizer, but those days are looooooooooooooooooooooooong gone.

If this is about the cyan colored dots in the remap, you're safe to ignore those. Those are a VXL Viewer color calculation overflow issue, picking another remap color (excluding orange IIRC)/red (and orange) through the custom color picker will make them disappear.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why are you making the voxel editor do the normals for you? They are already done by the voxelization.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you apply anti-aliasing to the team colour, then it destroys the purity of the team colour, at its edges, so that it becomes not team colour, at its edges, anymore. You should have applied anti-aliasing first, and then edited-in the team colour after that; not the reverse order, if I am understanding you correctly.

Anyway, the voxelizer is designed to do the team colour automatically, if you make it pure red in the material, or every texel of the texture that you want to be team-colour.

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks Vipr, i indeed did experiment with antialiasing the remap but i tried to do it with another red i thought was a dark remap colour.does adding a light and or noise layers to the texture in gimp, result in weird (yellowish) dots all over the voxel in game but not in voxel veiwer

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't confirm about the voxel viewer, because I haven't used it recently.

All I know, with some certainty, is that if you want team colour to happen from the voxelization, then the material colour or texel colour must be pure red, meaning they must have an amount of green and blue that is absolutely zero. The amount of red can be anything. Otherwise, what you intended to be team colour, could ultimately become colours from the voxel palette that are not team colour. Also, the opposite is true; what you intended to be not team colour, could become team colour. I guess this usually happens when people intend to have black, but don't quite succeed. In this case, I would say that the result would be so dark that it wouldn't matter whether it was team colour or not. However, I vaguely remember that at least some version of the voxel viewer would display this nearly black team colour as very bright, because it would display all shades of the team colour, as the brightest shade.

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so here the picture of my problem. im 75% certain that its the light and noise overlays i use in gimp to lighten up my texture. can i even add a noise overlay (in gimp) to a texture for a voxel or wll it always come out like the picture. will experiment when i have time

yellow dots.png
 Description:
the voxel with yellow dots had its texture edited in gimp, while the other voxel is untouched after 3ds2vxl
 Filesize:  76.15 KB
 Viewed:  2489 Time(s)

yellow dots.png

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm confused:

Why are the voxels a different shape due to editing a texture?

Why are you editing the texture after voxelization instead of before?

Why is the voxel from the voxelizer so dark when the voxelizer has a feature to rectify that?

Why are you talking about yellow dots when there are none to be seen?

malius123
Disk Thrower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

because im a newb with a shoddy workflow, probaly applicable to all your questions, in short i converted the model twice in 3ds2vxl, the smaller one i edited and like a pleb saved over the original.

i do it this way because i still cant seem to get my head around textureing, (particurly node trees and uv maps) blender has a smart UV unwrap thats adequete for  me to bake procedural materials onto the model, this is handy because then during the 3ds2vxl conversion you only need the 3ds file. still experimenting on this slowly but surely

and i think its my poor choice of colouring my model in why its so dark

shit my colour blindness see's those bright colours as yellow. the dots i refer to is the brightish colours that arnt red blackish or white on the smaller voxels.

ViPr wrote:

Why is the voxel from the voxelizer so dark when the voxelizer has a feature to rectify that?

is this perhaps the colour multiply?

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. Colour multiply. Sorry I couldn't find a better name for it. I don't know the terminology for making something more or less dark.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Brightness" or "Gamma Correction" Wink

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No. I don't think it is those because:

Brightness means something is added to the RGB values.

Gamma means the RGB values are raised to some power.

The voxelizer multiplies something to the RGB values.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be Saturation then, but if it can brighten up dark (black) pixels, then Brightness is probably the most understandable word.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon