Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm
All times are UTC + 0
An intermezzo called Ares 0.D
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3 [116 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:  An intermezzo called Ares 0.D Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Long time no updates.... After 0.C's release, I went on to work on its successor, which was scheduled in three months from then. I didn't hear back much from the community until late 2016 or so, though, so I lost interest to publicly work on Ares further.

If there's community interest (and not just interest to get something from me), this shall be a double-release. First, there will be the features I already completed, preferrably released around June (that is a full year after the last one). This is for keeping up with the current state of Ares compared to the last released version. An intermezzo to catch up. The other one will be three months later, in September. I'll stick to my plan this time, that is, there will be a fixed date, and what's done until then is done, and what's not done won't be released.

So, here are some new features. There are more finished ones, but that would be a bit too much to include them all in one unstable build, so this isn't all there is. As always, some work went into updating the inner workings of Ares, but as adding more and more features means more things need to be checked and more time has to be spent doing that, is there anything to say about performance? How is the startup and game speed compared to Ares 0.C?

Fixes and Minor Additions
  • Allow CloningFacility buildings to set waypoints. (#1616741)
  • Fixed a problem with Hunter Seekers
  • Foundations with negative cell offsets are now supported
  • Fixed SidebarMixFileIndex also changing TooltipColor. (#1655347)
  • Emit a developer warning if a custom foundation does not include the cell 0,0.
  • Only objects that are currently visible to the player show the money amounts as text.
  • Damage delivery in Iron Curtain warheads had a bug.
  • Hijackers and Drivers cannot enter objects that are currently under the effect of the Iron Curtain.
  • KillDriver now respects AffectsAllies and AffectsEnemies. (#1619631)
  • Fixed iterator chars sometimes messing up type lists. (#913570)
  • Firestorm Walls can no longer be sold when the Firestorm is active
  • Several performance improvements

Potentially Breaking Changes to ArmorTypes
The ArmorTypes feature has some issues, which stem from the the order of initializing new types with a default value and reading the corresponding tag from the INI. This is a bit abstract and hard to describe. Setting all the defaults always took place before the values were read, thus, one default value could only ever be another ArmorType's default value. If a type at the beginning of the list defaulted to a type after it, then the default value was still uninitialized but was used anyhow.

Now the order has been changed, thus the parsed values now could be different, but I can't tell you what to watch out for without writing a novel.

There was also an inconsistency with parsing verses data. If using non-percentage values (like 0.01), the special flags could be cleared for small values, but they wouldn't be set again once a higher value was parsed. Now, the verses and flags are always updated to reflect the state represented by the value of the parsed tag. This is a breaking change, which affects non-percentage verses values. Commonly, percentages like 30% are used, so the impact should be limited.

Ares no longer tries to parse ArmorTypes if a tag is not defined. This is another breaking change: Previously, parsing non-existing tags in game mode and map files reset verses to 0%. Thus, newly defined warheads in maps would use the wrong values as default. Now, ArmorTypes that aren't defined aren't reset.

Let the AI build more than one building of each type
This should help to get rid of War Factory clones with all their shortcomings and ugly workarounds. Additional buildings are not build one after another as a block right after the original building, but instead mix randomly with the structures planned to be built later in the build list.

[BuildingType]AIBuildCounts= (list of integers, defaults to 1,1,1)
The number of buildings the AI will build of this type depending on the difficulty. Order is hard to easy. Each value must be equal to or greater than 1.

[BuildingType]AIExtraCounts= (list of integers, defaults to 0,0,0)
The maximum number of extra buildings the AI can build of this type depending on the difficulty. Order is hard to easy. A random number of buildings will be build in addition to the ones from the normal build count. Each value must be equal to or greater than 0.

A way to combine Abduction weapons with Temporal warheads
[Weapon]Abductor.Temporal= (boolean, defaults to no)
Instead of abducting target units right away, abduct them only after they have been temporally erased. When the target unit would warp away, it will be placed inside the abductor unit as passenger, given it suffices all other abductor checks like having enough free space. If abduction fails, the target is erased normally.

Optionally Consider Health for Temporal Weapons
[Warhead]Temporal.HealthFactor= (multiplier, defaults to 0.0)
How much the health is factored in when calculating the remaining warp value of the target. Valid range is 0.0 to 1.0 inclusive. 0.0 means health plays no role. 1.0 means the remaining warp is reduced proportionally to the target's health, down to 0.

Another way to look at it is that the remaining warp value is linearly decreased from full for completely healthy targets down by this value for a target that has no health left.

Turn off the Iron Curtain nullify flash per warhead
[Warhead]IronCurtain.Flash= (boolean, defaults to [AudioVisual]IronCurtainFlash=)
Whether units and structures will flash black or blue if hit with this warhead while under the effect of an Iron Curtain or Force Shield respectively.

[AudioVisual]IronCurtainFlash= (boolean, defaults to true)
Whether units and structures will by default flash black or blue if hit with this warhead while under the effect of an Iron Curtain or Force Shield respectively.

Customizable Fall Rates
[TechnoType]FallRate.Parachute= (integer, defaults to 1)
The acceleration towards the ground applied each frame a parachuted unit is falling.

[TechnoType]FallRate.NoParachute= (integer, defaults to 1)
The acceleration towards the ground applied each frame a unit without parachute is falling.

[TechnoType]FallRate.ParachuteMax= (integer, defaults to [General]ParachuteMaxFallRate)
The maximum speed a parachuted unit is falling with. Value has to be negative.

[TechnoType]FallRate.NoParachuteMax= (integer, defaults to [General]NoParachuteMaxFallRate)
The maximum speed a unit without parachute is falling with. Value has to be negative.

Attached Effects no longer count as parachute and thus won't reduce the fall rate.

Customizable BuildupTime
[BuildingType]BuildupTime= (double - minutes, defaults to [General]BuildupTime)
The time the buildup animation runs regardless of the number of frames.

Disable drivers entering units by owner country
[Country]CanBeDriven= (boolean, defaults to MultiplayPassive)
Whether units owned by this county can be captured by CanDrive=yes infantry.

Last edited by AlexB on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the new release. I didn't test that much yet (working on some gfx before i get other thins done), but i noticed some clipping/layering changes (which you mentioned in a chat).
Could you elaborate on them more? What got changed and what we need to look for?

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was gonna test some of the additions/changes but ran into a peculiar problem.

A singleplayer map with various objects on it I use for quick testing with them invariably crashes upon loading while using the most recent build from unstable builds page, as opposed to Ares 0.Cp1, where it works just fine.

Debug.log & Except.txt
Crash Dump

EDIT: Can confirm for now that IronCurtain flash toggles, BuildupTime and CanBeDriven appear to work as they are described.

Last edited by Starkku on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:17 am; edited 3 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Successor? So there's going to be an Ares replacement?

Or are we talking about making a full hacked exe with the Ares stuff without this syringe thing?

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Does this result in multiple AI-owned factories cloning whatever unit/building is being produced, or is this just a bug in TS? For example, if an AI house has two War Factories, it would simultaneously build two instances of the same unit from both factories. And if I'm correct, it only spends credits for one of the produced objects.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:

Does this result in multiple AI-owned factories cloning whatever unit/building is being produced, or is this just a bug in TS?

It does by default, but Ares allows toggling this behaviour off with a global flag (AllowParallelAIQueues). Still, it can be desired under some circumstances, to boost AI unit production.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

G-E wrote:

Or are we talking about making a full hacked exe with the Ares stuff without this syringe thing?

Sucessor of Ares 0.C = Ares 0.D

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mevitar wrote:
Thanks for the new release. I didn't test that much yet (working on some gfx before i get other thins done), but i noticed some clipping/layering changes (which you mentioned in a chat).
Could you elaborate on them more? What got changed and what we need to look for?

Thanks! In the best case, there's nothing to look after. The layering issue is because of an experiment with some inner workings of the engine. It failed because I mixed left and right... It's corrected, and will be available in the next version.

Starkku wrote:
I was gonna test some of the additions/changes but ran into a peculiar problem.
[...]

EDIT: Can confirm for now that IronCurtain flash toggles, BuildupTime and CanBeDriven appear to work as they are described.

Thanks for testing. The crash comes from reading too many NumberStartingPoints. I'll have to look into that later to find out where the value the game uses comes from.

G-E wrote:

Neither. The successor to Ares 0.C will be Ares 0.D. I'm not starting a new project.

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
This should help to get rid of War Factory clones with all their shortcomings and ugly workarounds. Additional buildings are not build one after another as a block right after the original building, but instead mix randomly with the structures planned to be built later in the build list.

Does this one will affect parallel queuing? Also, how about if the building has an access to a particular superweapon or support power, will it be activated simultaneously?

Last edited by DarkVen9109 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Custom foundation, both the non-inclusion of 0,0 cell and negative
cell values work.

AI counts/extras - AI is able to build more of the specified buildings.
But it isn't as reliable, AI base planning may choose to ignore or delay
the additional buildings to a later time. Base defenses has its own count
logic, I felt these flags should be avoided for those. If base defenses are
given a smaller number in these flags, it doesn't act as AI only max limit.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for testing so far!

DarkVen9109 wrote:
Does this one will affect parallel queuing? Also, how about if the building has an access to a particular superweapon or support power, will it be activated simultaneously?

The parallel queues work as always and are controllable by another setting. Super weapons are not per building. You don't get two paradrops for building two American Airforce Commands; this hasn't changed. If you use an EMP SW with the fire at self option, then you will get the effect multiple times, though.

E1 Elite wrote:
AI counts/extras - AI is able to build more of the specified buildings.
But it isn't as reliable, AI base planning may choose to ignore or delay
the additional buildings to a later time. Base defenses has its own count
logic, I felt these flags should be avoided for those. If base defenses are
given a smaller number in these flags, it doesn't act as AI only max limit.

That is intended. It's not unreliable, it's randomized. It prevents the AI from building three barracks before building the first war fac, for example. Or building five war facs without teching up. Though, this could still happen randomly.

Base defenses use another mechanism for building same types many times, which still works like earlier, but the randomization part is the same now applied to all other building types.

Power plants also use a special mechanism, which also isn't affected by this new feature, and Refineries use yet another mechanism. (TS had one more special piece for building many Helipads. This hasn't been reproduced, but it can be easily emulated with the new Ares tags.)

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares grants so much, I can't help but wonder how it'd change old RA2. Any chance of getting Ares to work with original RA2 without YR? If yes, Ares feedback would explode, I'm sure
Some people just like the older engine with mods than the new one, me being one of 'em

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And I jump into game. Time for good old Haosis to come and test some stuff.

Only objects that are currently visible to the player show the money amounts as text.
I found issue here, when cloak generator cloaks refinery, green text wont appear at all. Once you sell generator, buildings become visible and refinery shows green text.

As you can see, I made gap generator cloak generator, and Ore Purifier ore Refinery actually. Also I captured tech refinery. Generator cloaked both buildings, and they show no green text above them.
Once I sold generator, they started to show money just after became visible again.

Hijackers and Drivers cannot enter objects that are currently under the effect of the Iron Curtain.
For some reason I did not get captured mouse i nscreenshots, but this feature works.
VehicleThief=yes
CanDrive=yes
Unit has these tags, and in civilian Excavator it got enter cursor. Once I put Iron Curtain on Excavator, Hijacker did not get enter cursor. he did not get even ,,No Cursor" at all over Excavator, just select cursor over it. So, I assume this feature works.
Sadly I cant show it.

[NAHAND]
AIBuildCounts=3,3,3

I assume this works. Easy computer build three barracks, although those two were quickly build, and third one came lately. its really randomized haha.

Optionally Consider Health for Temporal Weapons
[ChronoBeam]
Verses=100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,100%,0%
Temporal=yes
Temporal.HealthFactor=1.0

Chrono Legionaires both started to erase two oil derricks. One is in green health, second is at red.
Even green health derick started to be erased in about two seconds before one with red health, still red health derrick got finally removed much faster as seen in screenshot.
So, lower health, faster removing. I assume this works.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

alhezronashkenaz
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you missed ...

Kill the driver cell spread.. like neutron bomb

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-battle-of-generals

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did not test all new features... I left some fun for others.
But hey, since you volunteer, you can test that feature. Make that neutron bomb, throw at enemy and tell us what happened.

Ich-Henker
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news! Have you checked for the unit delivery default ai behavior 'hunt' wich seem to be guard?

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Ares grants so much, I can't help but wonder how it'd change old RA2. Any chance of getting Ares to work with original RA2 without YR?

Ares is tied to this exact version of YR. It is tailored to the structure sizes and field offsets in those structures, and to the exact location of certain functions in the exe. To support RA2, a new dll would have to be created, most likely using knowledge from Ares, maybe reusing some data types, but using none of the function addresses or registers or stack offsets. That's an endeavour for many months.

MasterHaosis wrote:
And I jump into game. Time for good old Haosis to come and test some stuff.

Thanks for testing all these! The issue with cloaked own buildings and display texts will be fixed in the next build.

alhezronashkenaz wrote:
you missed ...
Kill the driver cell spread.. like neutron bomb

Welcome! I haven't worked on that yet. Only prepared for it to become possible one day.

Ich-Henker wrote:
Great news! Have you checked for the unit delivery default ai behavior 'hunt' wich seem to be guard?
I'm on it. The bugfix will be available soon.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
TAK02 wrote:
Ares grants so much, I can't help but wonder how it'd change old RA2. Any chance of getting Ares to work with original RA2 without YR?

Ares is tied to this exact version of YR. It is tailored to the structure sizes and field offsets in those structures, and to the exact location of certain functions in the exe. To support RA2, a new dll would have to be created, most likely using knowledge from Ares, maybe reusing some data types, but using none of the function addresses or registers or stack offsets. That's an endeavour for many months.

That still doesn't aswer my question, but thanks all the same. Is there anyone else working or willing to help out? Because if not, I could help. When I get a PhD in programming that is Very Happy
On a more serious note: Does the above mean we'll see Ares for RA2 after Ares for YR is complete?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Does the above mean we'll see Ares for RA2 after Ares for YR is complete?

No. Not at all.

By the way, AlexB's answer did answer your question and enumerated most of the reasons for it. You don't even need a BSc in programming to understand his answer. Al you need is just some programming knowledge and computer architecture basis. Something that you can learn in less than in a year in a half-decent university Wink.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could have said that I don't know whether there will be such a dll for RA2. I only know for certain that it won't be me working on that, because I neither have the time nor would I pick another project like this. Yet, everyone interested can start to plan and create something, so there's always a possibility.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Several performance improvements

What was changed/updated?

Steam

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can confirm Tooltip colours are working correctly now. BuildupTime is working as intended too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FurryQueen wrote:
Quote:
Several performance improvements

What was changed/updated?

Many small things, a lot of minor details. Not doing needless work in several places. For example Super Weapon code now saves a few function calls. Sometimes the additional Ares data was looked up on an object too early, and checking the actual game object would have shown it wasn't really needed to look it up.

I wanted to dive into this topic deeper (and maybe I'll do that in a later post), but overall, it apparently didn't make much of a difference. In my measurements it did, and it should actually reduced the "Ares overhead" quite a bit. But as Ares is only responsible for a faction of the overall runtime, even speeding it up by 100% wouldn't give you more than a few frames per second.

Mig Eater wrote:
Can confirm Tooltip colours are working correctly now. BuildupTime is working as intended too.

Thank you!

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
TAK02 wrote:
Does the above mean we'll see Ares for RA2 after Ares for YR is complete?

No. Not at all.

By the way, AlexB's answer did answer your question and enumerated most of the reasons for it. You don't even need a BSc in programming to understand his answer. Al you need is just some programming knowledge and computer architecture basis. Something that you can learn in less than in a year in a half-decent university Wink.

Alex did answer my question, tho only parially. I didn't want details, only if we'd see him working on Ares for RA2 sometime in the future (I'm a nitpicker , I know Twisted Evil )
By the way, does anyone even have interest in developing Ares further (asides from Alex)? I thought there'd be a much higher supply of programmers willing t help out, especially here

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its great to see you still plugging away at this, great work as always.

Are you going to update the source on github to match the latest version at any point? You've updated syringe and the docs as recently as Dec, but the code for the actual DLL languishes with the last update being 2014 unless you maintain a repo other than the "The Ares Developers" repo.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The source code issue still stems from 0.9 not going as planned. According to plan, the sources would have been available as always, usually the night after the release or maybe a week later.

There's features in there which are unreleased and untested, and which I commented out. I want to release them properly, before I upload the source code for them.

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick question: Where does one find this/these unstable builds? I wanted to test some in the past, but couldn't find it.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The rendering order of voxels seams to be broken in 0.D, units in the background are being rendered over the top of units in the foreground.

vxl_layering.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.01 KB
 Viewed:  12641 Time(s)

vxl_layering.png

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the testing so far! I'll soon start to do the bug management on LaunchPad again, so things can be checked off correctly. Until then, here's another unstable binary with a few more features and fixes. Today's topic: Starting Units, Death Bombs and Digging.

Unstable builds can be found here. It's the Rough Sea one (which is another remnant of the 0.9 plan.)

• Layering issue is fixed and objects should now draw in correct order
  • UnitDelivery SW didn't set AI units to hunt correctly
  • Fixed the bug where the game crashes if there are no startup infantry units
  • Put cargo units on the map using the facing of the Carryall
  • Properly restore the turn rates of the cargo unit when unloading a Carryall
  • Don't hide Display Texts from owners if their object is cloaked
  • Another fix for ArmorTypes defined in a game mode or map

Starting units customizable by country
[Country]StartInMultiplayer.Types= (list of TechnoTypes)
The custom list of potential units to start with in multiplayer games. If not set, the game selects the types by using AllowedToStartInMultiplayer. Use <none> to disable starting units. Only InfantryTypes and VehicleTypes are supported.

If a country doesn't have any starting units, then previously the game aborted placing other houses' base and starting units. Now the game will proceed normally. Thus, having no starting units is now possible.

Use a fixed credit amount for starting units
The Unit Count lever in the game options when setting up a match does not decide the actual unit count. This might be a bit of a mysterium because the logic behind it doesn't seem to be widely known. The value of the Unit Count setting is multiplied with the average cost of units that are AllowedToStartInMultiplay=yes (mind: only checking the houses in the current match), then places as many units randomly as it can until this cost is met or exceeded. This means, the starting unit cost of Allies vs. Soviets might be different from Allies vs. Yuri. This setting is to always use a fixed amount.

[General]StartInMultiplayerUnitCost= (integer - credits)
The fixed amount of credits for one unit. The Unit Count setting is multiplied with this. If not set, the game will determine the average cost of a unit by summing up all costs of units that could be used as starting units (ignoring countries that aren't in the match).

This fully supports the new custom starting unit tags above, and it is also fully backwards compatible to the original game.

A debug line has been added to output the calculated unit cost used for starting units per match. This might help as a guideline.

Support for pre-deployed MCVs in multiplayer games
This allows for countries to not have an MCV at the beginning of the match, as well as for game modes where the base locations are fixed and the Construction Yard is not undeployable (like Generals headquarters). The feature works like in Siege game mode, but actually does support AI players.

[Country]StartInMultiplayer.WithConst= (boolean, defaults to no)
Whether this country shall start with the first buildable building from BuildConst instead of a unit from BaseUnit when starting a multiplayer match.

Ivan Death Bombs
This sort of implements a RA2 feature that apparently has been cut from the game. Death bombs do not detonate automatically after a countdown but stay active until defused, manually detonated or the rigged object is killed or sold.

[Weapon]IvanBomb.DeathBomb= (boolean, defaults to no)
Whether this bomb will not detonate after a countdown, but remain active on an enemy object either until the unit dies and go off then, or the owner manually detonates it, if allowed.

[Weapon]IvanBomb.DeathBombOnAllies= (boolean, defaults to no)
Whether this bomb will be a death bomb instead of a timed bomb when planted on allied objects.

Optionally not detonate Ivan Bombs when selling
[Weapon]IvanBomb.DetonateOnSell= (boolean, defaults to yes)
Whether attached bombs shall explode if the victim is sold. Otherwise, the bomb will will just be disarmed.

Customizable Digging of Units Using the Subterranean Locomotor
[TechnoType]DigIn= (animation, defaults to [AudioVisual]Dig)
The optional animation used when this unit digs into the ground.

[TechnoType]DigOut= (animation, defaults to [AudioVisual]Dig)
The optional animation used when this unit digs out of the ground.

[TechnoType]DigInSound= (sound entry, defaults to [AudioVisual]DigSound)
The optional sound played when this unit digs into the ground.

[TechnoType]DigOutSound= (sound entry, defaults to [AudioVisual]DigSound)
The optional sound played when this unit digs out of the ground.

Separate TurretROT
[TechnoType]TurretROT= (integer, defaults to ROT=)
The rate of turn for the turret. Valid values range from 0 to 127. Supported on VehicleTypes and AircraftTypes.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Layering issue is fixed and objects should now draw in correct order

Voxels are still rendering incorrectly, if that is what you meant by the above statement.

I can confirm StartInMultiplayer.WithConst. Not having to waste a few seconds deploying an MCV is a nice time saver, I can see this along with the new starting unit system being used to create some interesting new game modes too.  

TurretROT is working as well, it adds a nice bit of extra visual movement to units & adds a new layer to unit balancing.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB, lets do this:

Issue with cloaked Oil Derricks is fixed. Now when buildings are covered, green text appears again.

Layering issue is fixed and objects should now draw in correct order
Yes, I do not see drawing dissorder like before. This seems fix'd. At least for me. Since Mig Eater confirmed differently, this is eye candy stuff, maybe i missed something, I must test that further. But animations are definitively fixed. I do not see messing working anims into buildings.

Customizable Fall Rates
[SNIPE]
FallRate.Parachute=5
FallRate.ParachuteMax=-200

First part, paratroopers are dropping, sniper is last, second part, sniper is falling faster than them and last part, sniper is in ground while they are still falling. I suppose this works.

Now, lets test new fresh stuff:

Support for pre-deployed MCVs in multiplayer games
Starting units customizable by country
[YuriCountry]
StartInMultiplayer.WithConst=yes
StartInMultiplayer.Types=MIND,YTNK,TELE,VIRUS,BRUTE
So, Yuri should start with deployed MCV, and started units should be MasterMinds, Gattling Tanks, magnetron, Virus and Brute (He got replaced for cyborg in my mod, but ID remains same)

When started game, indeed this happened!

[SUBT]
DigIn=DIG
DigOut=DIG
DigInSound=CowMove
DigOutSound=CowMove

Left is when unit burrows into ground, right is when unit emerges from ground. I think i heard both sounds, so I suppose this works.

Separate TurretROT
[HTNK]TurretROT=1
[APOC]TurretROT=50

So both Apocalypse and Rhino are looking at screen. I ordered them in same time to shoot at ground at oposide direction, to test how fast they will turn their turrets. On second image, Apocalypse even fire weapon while Rhino rotated its turret, and third part is just before apocalypse shoot again. Rhino almost finished rotating. So, this works.

AlexB, like in goold old days eh?

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Things seem to be working like normal so far. Tested some things:
AIBuildCounts:
Works.

AIExtraCounts:
Couldn't figure out how this works, set it to 6,4,2 on gaairc and 2,1,0 on gagap, but it didn't seem to change anything for the AI.

BuildupTime:
Works, set it to 0.5 on a building, and it took about 30 ingame seconds to build.

Ivan Death Bombs:
All things work as described related to Death Bombs, but it seems it doesn't allow me to manually detonate the bomb anymore if set to Death Bomb.

TurretROT:
Works. (I suspect this would look weird on some units with slower turret ROT than body when moving, with the turret staying behind.)

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Railgun is broken. Fixed and broken.
First two pictures at top are railgun dealing damage even AmbientDamage=0, which is seen in second picture in health bars. That is from Ares 0.C
Bottom two pictures are same railguns, same code, just different Ares, newest binary. It does not deliver AmbientDamage since it is 0 as supposed, so it is fixed, but no railgun displayed.

Ivan Death Bombs
[IvanBomber]
IvanBomb.DeathBomb=yes
IvanBomb.DeathBombOnAllies=yes

As you can see, I put bombs at everything! Whole base, tanks, infantry and even civilian stuff! And nothing exploded without my command! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! This works.

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So far no issues with the newest features (2nd post, didn't test all from the 1st one yet), except the following:

AlexB wrote:

[TechnoType]DigIn= (animation, defaults to [AudioVisual]Dig)
The optional animation used when this unit digs into the ground.

[TechnoType]DigOut= (animation, defaults to [AudioVisual]Dig)
The optional animation used when this unit digs out of the ground.

[TechnoType]DigInSound= (sound entry, defaults to [AudioVisual]DigSound)
The optional sound played when this unit digs into the ground.

[TechnoType]DigOutSound= (sound entry, defaults to [AudioVisual]DigSound)
The optional sound played when this unit digs out of the ground.
DigOut= doesn't work properly. It appears when the unit digs into the ground, not out (at the very moment it starts moving down). This means two animations appear when its burrowing, and nothing appears when it's emerging.
EDIT: actually, it does play while unburrowing when i use an animation without Flat=yes, so maybe it's just a layering issue (but it still plays twice when burrowing)

It also plays both DigInSound and DigOutSound when burrowing. Only DigOutSound plays when unburrowing.

Dig= and DigSound= still work properly, though.

Agent Z wrote:
Ivan Death Bombs:
All things work as described related to Death Bombs, but it seems it doesn't allow me to manually detonate the bomb anymore if set to Death Bomb.
I can confirm it at least for custom Ivan Bombs. The cursor doesn't change when hovering over them, and it does when it's a regular timed bomb.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Voxels are still rendering incorrectly, if that is what you meant by the above statement.
It should be back to normal. There was one change to layers, which I messed up. That has been fixed. I'm not sure what it could be.

Agent Z wrote:
AIExtraCounts:
Couldn't figure out how this works, set it to 6,4,2 on gaairc and 2,1,0 on gagap, but it didn't seem to change anything for the AI.

Ivan Death Bombs:

TurretROT:
Works. (I suspect this would look weird on some units with slower turret ROT than body when moving, with the turret staying behind.)

The extra counts add a random amount on top. That is, if you only use that, and set it to 10,10,10, the AI might build a building from 1 up to 11 times (1 from the normal build count).

Death Bombs have their own tags (one global one on the weapon) to manually detonate them. Maybe it's not set?

(Technically, it's correct physics. Rotating turret and barrel along with the chassis requires to overcome inertial force of the turret.)

MasterHaosis wrote:
Railgun is broken.

A big Thank You for testing and all those images! I'll look into the AmbientDamage issue, most likely it's the wrong target coordinates used, or I'm putting them in the wrong place.

mevitar wrote:
DigOut= doesn't work properly.

Thanks mevitar! I'll take a look into digging again. Could be difficult to fix that if digging in somehow does both digging in and out. I hope it's a simple fix.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome! These things are happened in my mod:
-AI built more than 1 Factory without cloning structures.
-CLegs can finish low healted enemy faster.
-Bullet attacks can't make IC/FC shield flash.
-Tank Paradrop fall faster.
-Friendly unit bombplaced by Ivans won't explode if they killed (for suicide trap).
-Realistic Turret rotates.
-and more!

Agent Z
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:

Death Bombs have their own tags (one global one on the weapon) to manually detonate them. Maybe it's not set?

This seems to be the case, missed that CanDetonateDeathBomb existed, and assumed they used the same on both.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It should be back to normal. There was one change to layers, which I messed up. That has been fixed. I'm not sure what it could be.

I did some more thorough testing and it is now working as it should, I must have been confused by one of D-day odd shaped units XP

Ich-Henker
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some happy confirmations:

AbductorTemporal = works [big thanks for that]
Temporal.HealthFactor= works
UnitDelivery of AI uses Hunt Command =works
TurretROT = works [changes the gameplay for the better - more tactical]
StartInMultiplayer.WithConst= works [but I would suggest to make it a checkable game mode option because i fear for maps that have rocks at the starting cells ...]
The performance truly improved - it even seems to look a little better ...

Great great work!

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Buildings delivered through the UnitDelivery= SWs are bugged: they will play their buildup animation infinitely.

AlexB wrote:
Thanks mevitar! I'll take a look into digging again. Could be difficult to fix that if digging in somehow does both digging in and out. I hope it's a simple fix.
Normally the game calls for the Dig= several times if TunnelSpeed= makes the unit take more time to burrow (that's how it works normally, it's not something that Ares introduced), so i guess that might be the "hard to fix" case.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
The source code issue still stems from 0.9 not going as planned. According to plan, the sources would have been available as always, usually the night after the release or maybe a week later.

There's features in there which are unreleased and untested, and which I commented out. I want to release them properly, before I upload the source code for them.

Fair enough, you must share a perfectionist streak with CCHyper Wink. Nice to see you still intend to release it at some point even if only a handful of us ever actually look at it. It also means someone else could (at least theoretically) take up the mantle if you were to decide you'd had enough or tested the universes crash detection with a bus or something.

MustaphaTR
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has been a while since i last visited PPM Site, i'm pretty happy that Ares.dll is still being worked on even tho i no longer mod YR. Some really good new stuff there Alex.

Generals Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/generals-alpha
Romanov's Vengeange: https://www.moddb.com/mods/romanovs-vengeance

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wish I havent wasted my time before on TS and jumped directly on YR/Ares :/

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do like I do: seperate the flags into TS/FS-only and RA2/YR/Ares-only. That way, you can switch from one engine to another quite easily, without having to do anything but outting/removing ';'s
It should be noted tho that the workload to making it so easy in the end is HUGE (and that's just if you wanna switch between RA2 and YR, then moving on to Ares)

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for testing so much already! I should really start to check the issues off that are verified. Maybe that's for the next few days. Things that aren't yet fixed are the AmbientDamage railguns and the Dig problem, which I both yet have to look into.

@Ich-Henker: Adding a checkbox for deployed bases would be a nightmare. I remember working on the Multi Engineer UI, which was just an awful experience. Also, I guess it wouldn't really help to have an option, if the maps wouldn't support it. The feature should only be used (maybe in a game mode), when it's clear the maps do support auto-deploy.

@Blade: the Bus Factor on Ares is pretty low, yes. I can't say I took measures to ensure the source code is released in case of some unfortunate ultimate mishap -- otherwise I'd have to really watch out for people being too interested in the code. In this case it's not really perfection; I'm rather using the privilege of the creator to set the release date.

But now to the new build that's available now. Today's topic: Fixes and repairs.

• When creating an instance of a TeamType, use the owning house's paradrop plane
  • Prevent blocking by placing units on enemy bibs (usually Refineries and War Factories)
  • Fix pre-deployed Construction Yards playing a piece of their buildup anim on start
  • Fix buildup animation looping when Deliver.Buildups=no
  • Units in Tank Bunkers can no longer be mind controlled (bug introduced by Ares)

Mechanical and Organic warheads (Mechanics and Ambulances)
Finally got to commit a feature that I was working on early 2011: Infantry and vehicles can heal all types, depending on Verses. It's now possible to cross-type repair infantry and vehicles. The original game was hardcoded to only allow infantry to heal other infantry and repair vehicles to only repair other vehicles.

It's not supported on aircraft and buildings, though. Also, the game handled deployed fake-vehicles (like the Tick Tank, Artillery and Juggernaut in TS) differently, and prevented healing real buildings. So, better check interactions there.

Aircraft on the Helipad/airport cannot be repaired. This mimics the original behavior.

Ares supports the GuardArea action, which makes units follow and protect a specific unit, and, as a little bonus, overriding heal by pressing the Force Move keys as well, which allows to enter damaged transports.

Customizable cursors for heal and repair
[General]InfantryHealCursor= (MouseCursor, defaults to single heal frame [355, 1, 0])
The cursor to use for warheads with negative damage on InfantryTypes and Organic=yes types.

Alas, there's no good cursor to use. The original healing cursor was a rotating white circle with a red cross, but it only survived to YR partially, which doesn't look good. So I chose a single frame default. Change it to something better, if you like.

[General]UnitRepairCursor= (MouseCursor, defaults to repair cursor)
The cursor to use for warheads with negative damage on non-InfantryTypes with Organic=no.

Pause repairing when on low funds instead of aborting
[General]RepairStopOnInsufficientFunds= (boolean, defaults to yes)
Whether repairing will automatically be stopped when the owning player has insufficient funds. If no, repairing mode will not be turned off. The wrench will still be visible, even though the building is no longer actively repaired. Repairing will resume when the player gains more funds. This only affects human players.

Distinguish between AI and human players when randomly choosing a country
[Country]AIRandomSelectionWeight= (integer, defaults to RandomSelectionWeight)
The random selection weight used for AI players. This can be used to make it more or less likely for AI players to pick a certain country randomly.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MUAHAHAHA!
Finally feature I requested ages ago, and I gave up last year, I though it will never be finished! Fully functional Mechanic Infantry and Ambulance vehicle.
AlexB surprised me for Easter Very Happy

Now, lets see how it all works:

Mechanical and Organic warheads (Mechanics and Ambulances)

Left imagines, Rhino is damaged and smokey came out of it, then after I press guard on Mechanic, he came to repair Rhino as seen in picture.
Right images, Ambulance and hurt Conscript, then after pressing guard, Ambulance came and healed Conscript as can be seen.

Customizable cursors for heal and repair
InfantryHealCursor=356,1,0
UnitRepairCursor=149,1,0
It works, but I can't show it as in my screenshots mouse is never caught for unknown reason, but I got complete different mouses as I set them, so this works.

Pause repairing when on low funds instead of aborting

Now, all buildings are damaged, and watch out money, I had 300$

Now, watch out, all buildings got repair animation and I got 0$. Repair stopped, animations are staying, and:

...And, buildings got repaired all when I got money.
This works as supposed, although I may suggest if Repair Animation on 0 cash will stay at one frame, so people can determine when repairing stopped because of no money but is still active. However, it is not necessary, I just had idea. Most important is that it works.

Distinguish between AI and human players when randomly choosing a country
I have only three countries, Soviet, Allied and Yuri, so I set this:
[Americans]
AIRandomSelectionWeight=0
[Russians]
AIRandomSelectionWeight=0

Yuri Country does not have this for testing purposes, which means AI should always be Yuri on random.
Then I set me and AI as random and played game several times

So, each time I was random, but AI was always Yuri, with different colors of course, but this works.

,,AlexB__
i'll expect a normal post, then you can surprise me xD "
So, did I surprised you with this normal post? I told you it will be rapid testing this time.  Very Happy

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice, Medic/Mechanic.

Augusto
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good Work! Can suggest a tag like "BerserkFriendly" can make units affected cant attack anyone? A "BerserkNoAttack=yes/no" tag? Can be used combined with speed attach effect to create "Panic Effect" into enemy units...

Ich-Henker
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can confirm the Mechanic as working.

PePsiCola
Cyborg Specialist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm currently only using a few additions from these three releases, and they have all worked:
- AIBuildCounts and AIExtraCounts (long awaited this, thank you!)
- Temporal.HealthFactor
- TurretROT

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3 [116 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon