Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Weird horizontal shadow glitch
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:  Weird horizontal shadow glitch
Subject description: Help appreciated
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

During many tests of my map, I have sometimes (twice yet) found weird glitched shadows/height on horizontal line cross whole map (pics bellow). It happened randomly during game and only 1 glitched line on map. Everything placed on this line (cliffs, buildings, slopes) have some graphical glitch. Location of this line is not firm, it changes sometimes when moving screen sight out.
This glitch is not permanent, saving and reloading remove this glitch, or quick screen moving using V or F9 - F12 changes position of this glitch or removes it completely. I have also noticed this glitch on TS map Stormy Valley rarely after some hours of gameplay.
Has somebody ecountered this glitch? Or anything what can cause it?
(Sorry for dark pictures, happened during night)

SCRN4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.71 KB
 Viewed:  3289 Time(s)

SCRN4.png

SCRN3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  282.82 KB

SCRN3.png

SCRN2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.97 KB

SCRN2.png

SCRN1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  294.02 KB

SCRN1.png

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll jump the gun and say the map is buggy
If it isn't that then something must be wrong with either the EXE you have (from recent engine-hacks maybe?) or it's the terrain INIs (in this case it would be temperat.ini). Other than that I have no idea why the engine would freakout like this
Although, it could be a RAM/memory problem, but I doubt it

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
I'll jump the gun and say the map is buggy
If it isn't that then something must be wrong with either the EXE you have (from recent engine-hacks maybe?) or it's the terrain INIs (in this case it would be temperat.ini). Other than that I have no idea why the engine would freakout like this
Although, it could be a RAM/memory problem, but I doubt it

I do have modified EXE but only with common hacks (TS Client + tiberium and VeryHigh projectile height), but I don't think it can mess up with rendering. Also temperat.ini is untouched. First time I encountered it was with vanilla TS about 12 years ago on Stormy Valley map, but it was permanent and reloading didn't help. I suspect it has to do something with terrain height or deformation. When I looked in FS and opened Strm. Vall. map, edges of map had unfinished height lines.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the height level you're using?
The max 2 to 3 height levels (12-14) can cause such ugly bugs. So it's better to use the lower heights 0-11 only

Though usually this only causes complete black holes in the tiles of the highest map levels, which is quite different to your issue.

Do you modified your game in any way?
Changes in the inis can cause strange bugs too.
e.g. a missing hva for a spawned voxel debris can cause the craziest render fragments.
corrupt mix files can cause such effects too

Are you using the client?
If yes, try some different renderer.

Do you have a map where you can reproduce this bug every single time, which you can upload for others to check? Or is this rather randomly appearing?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
The max 2 to 3 height levels (12-14) can cause such ugly bugs. So it's better to use the lower heights 0-11 only
Though usually this only causes complete black holes in the tiles of the highest map levels, which is quite different to your issue.

Could be it, I have max level 13 in map. I will do some tests

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

Do you modified your game in any way?
Changes in the inis can cause strange bugs too.
e.g. a missing hva for a spawned voxel debris can cause the craziest render fragments.
corrupt mix files can cause such effects too

I have modified, but this is surely map related, I have run hundreds of games on all maps without this issue (except rarely Stormy Valley).
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

Are you using the client?
If yes, try some different renderer

I will try that too, Thanks for suggestions

Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tuc0 wrote:
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

Could be it, I have max level 13 in map. I will do some tests

So after many days of testing I can confirm that max height caused this glitch. I have removed all 3rd level cliffs (9-13 height) and glitch never appeared again.
Thanks again for all suggestions  Smile  
Map will be released soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon