Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Building Upgrades...
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Da_orky_alchemist
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject:  Building Upgrades... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, I was sitting back in Spanish today, and something popped into my head...

Tiberian Sun has all kinds of neat civilian buildings and things like that, but urban warfare, well its a little bland. So I got to thinking...

Why not make civilian buildings capturable? Since I'm using a new armed engineer, as a sort of SWAT trooper, it makes sense. Then I thought some more....

How about arming civilian buildings? So you can capture a building in a city and its like having troops inside, then...

Why not make it so you UPGRADE the captured civilian buildings, so you can arm them like you want. Either hiding a sniper inside, or a machine gun, or maybe an anti tank missile crew. THAT would make city fighting interesting!

One more thing, using the "disguise=" so each building will still look like a regular building to the enemy untill it fires. That way you wont know which ones have guys hiding in them...

What do you think?

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you could also try emulating the capturable tech buildings from RA2. Captured building gives access to new units etc... (obviously oil refinery's and dtuff wont work).

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excelent idea. We were already thinking about that for PPM, but we never went as detailed as you in this subject...

One Of A Kind
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One problem (I REALLY hate doing this) doesn't the disguise line only work for infantry? Also, you really would IMO want to make the structure look like its been taken over with sandbags, barbed wire etc but those are just my thoughts on the idea.

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think you love doing that, could also (if NOD) could have access to building civilian slaves as cannon fodder, to protect your troops during an attack. (i know that's sick and twisted, but it would be fun)

hellfire
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be fun.

All hail me

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Da_orky_alchemist
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actualy I don't know what the "dsguise=" applies to. I know it works for infantry, but its put up at the top with the misc. variables, so it could very well work for anything, or, just infantry... hmm...

I thought about having buildings look taken over... but first off, didnt have a clue as to how to do it, and secondly, I think it would be a bit more fun if you don't know where they are hiding. I was planning to use existing weapons, but to have the upgrade "hidden units" have a guard range half of that of the weapon, or aprox the distance acrost a street. That way your wandering down the road, and POP! a rocket flys out of a storefront and nails your lead Titan, so you fall back, but your still in weapon range, more ambush like if you ask me...

At least with my Mod, both sides have an alternate MCV. Nod has a "Preacher" who is suposed to go into the decimated cities and converte the locals. GDI has an airborne command Orca Transport that can deploy and is used to land troops. So on a map you could opt to start off like that as oposed to the standard way, and have to scramble into a city and dig in, awaiting the enemy.

I dunno, a city ambush just seems soooo good to me...

The upgrades I had in mind were:

<<GDI>>
Infantry Squad: basicaly the standard infantry weapon, but higher ROF to show there are more guys...

AT Squad: a tank killer squad, with a missile launcher and light cannon

Machine Gun Squad: a pair of machine guns...

Aid Station: Heals infantry nearby (working on experiment with seeker logic, and reloading seekers. So they leave the building, heal, then run back to reload.)

Observation Post: just that, some short ranged sensors and decent sight

Snipers: just that, dual sniper rifle with special wood targeting rifle for counter sniper kills (see post about selective targeting)

<<Nod>>
Conscripts: using same logic as the GDI Aid Station, consripts run out and fire like mad...

Regulars: basicaly same as GDI Infantry squad

AT Squad: Missile Launcher and maybe an invisible "demo charge"?

Suicide Bombers: essentialy just infantry hunter seekers

Informant Cell: disguised infantryman that follows enemy units, so you can keep tabs on them

Snipers: same as GDI

Church of Nod: basicly a mini temple (my temple has some special features, but its rather late so Im not going into it now...)

Recruiting Station: Barracks (only in certain buildings though)

Bomb: building explodes, BIG

Chem Bomb: explodes releasing chemical gas... nasty stuff

Dragon Stein Cole
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are brilliant ideas. but, if you were trying to ambush someone, then you wouldn't want the building you're in to change and have huge sandbags outside. would kinda give the game a way.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alt= in art.ini is where we put the picture of how the enemy sees the building (or unit), I think...

Da_orky_alchemist
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmmmm... well if dusguise won't work, I supose the individual pugrades could be made cloakable. Simply using the cloak variables in the misc. section to have them decloak rather fast, but takes forever to recloak... so the upgrades will be hidden untill they fire then eventualy, if they dont fire anymore, you can't be positive that they are still there.

This could be fun...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah very fun Razz

Da_orky_alchemist
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now if one of you uber modders out there would care to post the steps to creating upgradable buildings, maybe this will work...

I think I'm missing something when I do it... just wont work!

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Code:
; GDI Upgrade Centre
[GAPLUG]
Name=GDI Upgrade Centre
DamageParticleSystems=SparkSys,SmallGreySSys,BigGreySmokeSys
Armor=wood
Owner=GDI
Prerequisite=PROC,GATECH
TechLevel=10
Strength=1000
Sight=6
Cost=1000
Points=60
SpecialThreatValue=1
Sensors=yes
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
DamageSmokeOffset=800, 550, 400
MaxDebris=6
Power=-150
Adjacent=2
Capturable=true
Powered=true
IsPlug=true
Crewed=yes
AIBuildThis=yes
Upgrades=2

That's the GDI upgrade centre, on which you should see the following lines which will need to be added to any building you upgrade.

Code:
IsPlug=true

This designates the building as upgradeable or essentially as a 'plug socket'.

Code:
Upgrades=x

Replace x with however many upgrades you want to be able to put on the building. This does exactly that, and tells the game how many upgrades to allow on a particular building.

Code:
; Ion Cannon Uplink
[GAPLUG3]
Name=Ion Cannon Uplink
Image=GAPLUG_F
Armor=wood
Owner=GDI
Prerequisite=GAPLUG,GATECH
TechLevel=10
Cost=1500
Points=30
Explosion=TWLT070,S_BANG48,S_BRNL58,S_CLSN58,S_TUMU60
Power=-100
AIBuildThis=yes
SuperWeapon=IonCannonSpecial
PowersUpBuilding=GAPLUG
PowersUpToLevel=-1

This is the ion cannon upgrade, from which you should add the following lines to your upgrades,

Code:
PowersUpBuilding=GAPLUG

Designates which building this plugs onto.

Code:
PowersUpToLevel=x

x should be replaced with a number, i dont really understand this but it appears to me that any offensive upgrades have positive (+) numbers and any defensive (including superweapons, which dont actually 'fire' a weapon) have negative (-) numbers (usually -1). As i said i haven't got a clue about this so you'll have to ask someone else but that is basically it.
Except that if you want the upgrades to appear on your building then you need to create correctly positioned SHP's unless you just use an existing one.

Da_orky_alchemist
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol, missing two lines of code might have hampered my efforts...

but now that thats all cleared up....

my plan is coming together..... excelent....... Twisted Evil

tyrane
Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tratos wrote:
i think you love doing that, could also (if NOD) could have access to building civilian slaves as cannon fodder, to protect your troops during an attack. (i know that's sick and twisted, but it would be fun)

Hehehehehe Twisted Evil #evil #Sniper #2gunfire #Onfire
very good idea you dont want to know my sick and twisted evil plan now LETS DO IT!!!!!!

kopaka649
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wat does the disguise line do?

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

spy's use it it makes your units appear as something else to the enemy. (i believe this is defined in the rules.ini)

Da_orky_alchemist
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that's half right...

Spy is "invisible=yes/true" making it only visible to units with the line "iscaynine=yes/true" or if the invisible unit is armed and fires a weapon it is temporarily visible so long as it is shooting...

"disguise" replaces the image of a unit and its targetability so the enemy won't recognise it untill it fires and thus loses its disguise...

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon