Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:33 am
All times are UTC + 0
Is there a way to resize a voxel by decimal?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

Also Known As: martx

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:  Is there a way to resize a voxel by decimal?
Subject description: I need to know how to do this so I could fully rework Westwood's voxels...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Might have been in the wrong forum again, maybe move it to the VXLSE forum later...
Anyway, since this thread is about editing RA2/YR media, so I guess it still counts Razz

So, is there a way? Or do I have to do it manually? In version 1.38 Roach's Shortcut Modification, I can only resize by +1 whole, seriously, someone needs to put in a Percentage Resize just like in OS SHP Editor! Or put it back in if it was removed...

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just use OS HVA Builder, go to "Tools" > "View Transform" and it's practically a decimal already.
Usually the number in the first column of the first row, the number in the second column of the second row and the number of the third column in the third row is a 1 or something very close to 1 like 0,999999940395355 (which can also simply be interpreted as a 1).

It should look something like this (the ? can be any number):
_____ _____
| 1 | ? | ? | ? |
| ? | 1 | ? | ? |
| ? | ? | 1 | ? |

The 1 is basically the factor of the size, so simply increase the number to enlarge the voxel (not recommended) or decrease it to shrink it down. Changing it to 0.75 would shrink the voxel down to 75% for example.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the help Bittah! Smile

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afaik this isn't the best way since the shrinkage is from the point of offset, which means your center goes off-center, and then you need to HVA move it back to center. Much better to use voxel bounds, just multiply each number by your preferred decimal.

I have voxels shrunk all the way down to 60% in some cases, I know some purists around here argue that's stupid, but they don't understand the renderer blends neighbouring/overlapping pixels. Thus you get both colour and lighting blend at the same time, and if you drew the voxel with this effect in mind, like simpler textures, smoother normals, you can get amazingly crisp results, with less apparent jaggies.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see why re-centering should be a problem. You then already have the voxel open in the HVA editor to begin with after all and all details are preserved when you shrink the voxel down (the volume pixels are then just moved closer together, which basically makes it look a lot smoother than it did before).

I've never tried resizing voxels with the voxel editor before though, so I don't know whether or not the result will be just as smooth (or if it will instead actually remove volume pixels to shrink it down and thus give a more pixelated result).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Downscaling via HVA or voxel header doesn't matter IMO. The end result is pretty much the same on the WW engine (The header bounds are ignored in OpenRA, but you can use Scale instead). The sole case where that might make a difference is voxel debris where I know for certain that HVA is ignored, but I never checked if the header bounds also are.

There should be a true downsizer though for the masses - converting to text with Mixer, downsizing that through some tool and converting back treats the normal values as TS mode normals, messes up scale, and drops all sections after the first.

Also, I like how G-E claims he's the voxel expert, when even his best voxels are mid-grade at best.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Also, I like how G-E claims he's the voxel expert, when even his best voxels are mid-grade at best.

Says the guy who makes everything looks like a box with wheels.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not sure what you mean by +1...

You can change the vxl scale to what ever you want...

Just modify the min/max (x,y,z) bounds.

scale.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.74 KB
 Viewed:  2970 Time(s)

scale.jpg

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant Growing/Making the Voxel bigger in Canvas and Complete Size. I'm not talking about shrinking it...

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can double the voxel in VXLSE itself and then can apply either the
section header bounds to reduce it or use HVA Builder to set the transform
matrix. Voxel bounds apply to the whole section whereas the matrix can
be applied to individual animation frames.

Another lossy method is to use XCC mixer to save the vxl as an image like
pcx. It will slice the voxel into 2D images which then can be resized to
whatever size you want and then convert it back to vxl.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right I forgot to be explicit about that, resize first, then use voxel bounds to shrink.

But if it's just a bit, chances are expanding the canvas, then doing a lot of copy paste in one direction and then again perpendicular to move the detail layers and duplicate simple layers is best.

NucleiSplitter
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But resizing it the SHP way (turning it to vxl->pcx->shp->pcx->vxl) often breaks the model that I made, so it's time consuming to get it right, but worth it, I still do it, I'm just wondering if there's any way of doing it in VXLSE instead cuz it's a long process...

Damfoos
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used a more complicated method: copy the voxel layer by layer into Photoshop (yes, you can directly copy layers into image editing software), resize all layers at once by the value you need, then copy those layers and past into your model one by one (don't forget to increase model's dimensions). Then your model will be by X% bigger/smaller in 2 dimensions. After that you change the view and copy layers again, but now you change only one dimension - if you initially used top view to resize, lenght and width of the voxel will be affected, while the height won't, so you change the view into "back" or "front" and copy the layers, then resize them vertically and C&P them into voxel editor again. Important: before doing all this change Photoshop settings for resize (Settings -> General -> Interpolation -> Use adjacent pixels).

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon