Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Looking For: Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge Terrain Expansions
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [48 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:  Looking For: Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge Terrain Expansions Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't find a decent link. I know there's one on ModDB I downloaded. It goes by the name "TX_v202a". Is this the one that I am looking for? Please help.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is. Good luck getting it to extract the files tho.
It will demand a patched copy of YR to be placed to in the same folder. The problem?
It will screw up and not work with many YR 1.001 copies. Just like the FA2YR switcher you'll need if you want to place tunnels & tracks (I could be wrong about the first one tho).

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v2.02 was the last version of TX & it works fine with official versions of YR patched to v1.001. TAK must be using an pirated version with an illegal hack.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
v2.02 was the last version of TX & it works fine with official versions of YR patched to v1.001. TAK must be using an pirated version with an illegal hack.

I have an idea, just buy the original CD ROM from Westwood Store. actually you cant anymore, it was better than origin Sad

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK: Oh my.. it kept on demanding me even if mine's already to 1.001.

Miggy: Wait. Does this mean even if with AlexB's patch this will not work?

Pus: Such a shame that it's not available on Origin. Only Ultimate Collection. And I have no money. *cries outside LA's doorsteps*

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares isn't a patch & wont effect the TX. Anyway, I uploaded the extracted files here.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was talking about the "CnCGraphicsPatch" actually.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Downloads from http://tx.strategy-x.com/ is not working. It points to
v202a. Moddb has the same version.

If it asks for YR 1.001, attached reg file could be merged to registry.

As the download is not working, if you can't find FA2Switcher, ask
for it (TXFA2YRSetup.exe).

CnCGraphicsPatch of AlexB doesn't affect this.

YR1001ForTX.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  YR1001ForTX.zip
 Filesize:  320 Bytes
 Downloaded:  48 Time(s)

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DarkVen9109 wrote:
Pus: Such a shame that it's not available on Origin. Only Ultimate Collection. And I have no money. *cries outside LA's doorsteps*

*WW Store was better..

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:

Actually, I was using Origin's version which was on the house a while back. I also tried with XWIS. Nothing.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry TAK, My bad. Maybe the TX only works if you install RA2 to the default location?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Depends on what that location is.
By the way, I remember getting my hands on a pirate RA2+YR back in Syria. Which I payed for. Didn't know anything about piracy back then. And even when I did, it was the only one I could use for debugging. It still is. And, IIRC, said pirated copy actually got the TX to work, but not the FA2YR switch.

Didn't anyone get the brilliant idea of uploading all the files TX adds/modifies up here without the installers? Would be useful if you have admin-related probs among others (including this installation-Prereq-mess)

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
Downloads from http://tx.strategy-x.com/ is not working. It points to
v202a. Moddb has the same version.

If it asks for YR 1.001, attached reg file could be merged to registry.

As the download is not working, if you can't find FA2Switcher, ask
for it (TXFA2YRSetup.exe).

CnCGraphicsPatch of AlexB doesn't affect this.

Does the terrain expansion require the FA2YR Switcher or is it independent?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The switcher is needed if you want working tunnels and add tracks. Everything else needs TX installed in game folder and the theater INIs inside expandmd06 extracted to game folder
(I needed to do this for some reason, but it might be because I wanted TX for RA2, not YR. It works! But you need to erase 'md' from file-names)

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To use tunnels & tracks turn beginner mode off in FA2's options menu. FA2YR Switcher isn't required for those features, it's just that using it turns beginner mode off too.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't used beginner mode for YEARS and none of those options are enabled. Are you sure you don't need edit at least one INI?

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have downloaded both Miggy and E1's files. Let see, on Miggy's mix file, putting it to RA2 directory outright and launching FA2 didn't do anything. In fact, it still viewed the default contents of the terrain files.

E1's on the other hand, I really feel hesitant to alter registries on my laptop since it's just 6 months old.

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nvm what I said. I got the installation working already. Now all I need is the mod switcher itself. Where can I get it?

Also, I did ran FA2YR after installing the Terrain Expansion but seemed not to make it work in a sense that it does not view the expanded set. Where to get the switcher?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need to extract these from expand06.mix:
Temperat.ini, Desert.ini, Urban.ini, NewUrban.ini, Snow.ini, Lunar.ini.
(Names might be slightly different)

I had the same problem before. FA2 wouldn't read the Theater-INIs in the mix for some reason.

Oh, and I think there's another file which is already in game folder but has to be in the FA2YR folder. Dunno which one tho.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The reg file I shared is only needed if you are using the TX installer and
it reports that you don't have 1.001 even when you have it. It only sets
the YR version to 1.001 in the registry, a change of 0 to 1. It can't harm
your system in any way.

FA2 Mod switcher depends on pretty old .OCX files which doesn't come
with Win7 or higher. It would make changes to your system. Use at your
own risk!

TXFA2YRSetup.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TXFA2YRSetup.zip
 Filesize:  96.61 KB
 Downloaded:  35 Time(s)

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where exactly is that reg file? I still have the 'YR 1.001 not installed' bug even tho the EXE is IN the game folder when I run the switcher (doing that this worked once for the TX-Installer and then never again)

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Where exactly is that reg file?

If you somehow cannot see my first post in this thread, above which has
the reg file, here is the reg entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Westwood\Yuri's Revenge]
"Version"=dword:00010001

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm... I can't figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong...
I moved the REG to the folder with RA2YR, launched it there, and tried again with both EXEs. Nothing. (Didn't notice the attachment before)
Anyway, what's the default location for RA2 & YR? Maybe that's part of the problem.

I have XWIS' installed on
D:\Westwood\Red Alert 2
and Origin's version from the 'on the house' a year back
Origin: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin
RA2YR with CnCNet: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Command and Conquer Red Alert II

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It doesn't need RA2YR to be in any specific folder, its location is found
out from registry, so it can be installed anywhere. For me it is in E drive.

There is a config file called as tx.yvs, it has details for the switcher. If
you are changing expandmd to expand, the switcher might be looking
for wrong files.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just rechkd: expandmd06.mix is present.
According to the list, Terrain Expansion.fsm is missing from folder.
Re-extracted Terrain Expansion Theater Iso Control Files, retrieving FSM from previous installation...

Nothing. Doesn't work with Origin.
Retrying with XWIS... Nope.

Actually, you know what? Why don't you put up all relevant files up here, and let us all move on. This mess is starting to get annoying.

leaoaltamirano
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Guys, sorry for bumping this thread, but I have the same problem. TX2.02a installer doesnt work. I downloaded Migeaters' expandmd, but im not really sure what i should do with it. The registry update didnt help either. What can I do to make it work?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

leaoaltamirano wrote:
Hi Guys, sorry for bumping this thread, but I have the same problem. TX2.02a installer doesnt work. I downloaded Migeaters' expandmd, but im not really sure what i should do with it. The registry update didnt help either. What can I do to make it work?

It won't, plain and simple. The TX guys probably thought they were "revolutionary" by making a installer, that exclusively works only when a YR has been patched to 1.0001, with the VersionNumber and location to be found in the registry.
The only problem is that the TX itself (not the ztyping installer) doesn't even need the patch to work right (it even works with RA2 1.0003, for crying out loud!)!
The only thing you can do is extracting the files from a ZIP, or maybe even with a 7Zip self-extractor.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because they should've somehow forseen all the repackages and thus different registry entries EA would later give the games.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Because they should've somehow forseen all the repackages and thus different registry entries EA would later give the games.

That's supposed to be an excuse?
Why make an installer that specifically asks for YR patched in the first place?!

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really so sorry that the great modders who passed on content that is still desperately sought after and used to this day didn't make something to your worthless liking. Nobody needs to make any excuses for anything, especially not to you.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry, worthless liking?

All I wanted was some compatibility with all YR and RA2 versions. Not just for me, but everyone who has the problem of not getting around the "YR 1.001 not installed" issue.
I know I'm NOT the only one.
Just like I'm not the only one who got issues with getting RA2 & YR to run on Loser10 like it would on a good-old XP machine. And will the instant I switch to another machine.

@All with TX-related problems:
Here you go: https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=564306#564306

You can thank me later.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Huh, but blaming Westwood for making an installer that doesn't work with W10 wouldn't make sense, would it? So doing the same thing for some 12+ year old amateur mod project is just ludicrous. You can criticise it but acting as if its some deliberately malicious decision on their part just comes across as weirdly entitled.

There are already plenty of copies of it around that aren't packaged into an installer (or for that matter split up annoyingly into several tiny files).

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the era of that installer, the registry was a must - not just merely for TX but also because all worthwhile mods used XCC Mod Launcher which, again, depends on the registry.

Reatrd02, I thank you now how much of an idiot you are - don't see any reason to wait with that.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
split up annoyingly into several tiny files).

If you read the full post and subject description, you'd realize Banshee/PPMServer are to blame for that.
And people like you and GraIdiot call me a retard.

Also: while I do understand why people make installers that access the registry, I can't seem to understand why the installation is for patched-YR users only, especially when it's just as usable for RA2 as well (still need to add rails with FA2YR, tho).

Please, oh GreaterBolt and Graion Deity, teach me!

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
If you read the full post and subject description, you'd realize Banshee/PPMServer are to blame for that.
And people like you and GraIdiot call me a retard.
I didn't call you a retard. And again youre just blaming Banshee? I did read the post and I don't understand why you'd do it that way. You can host it in full on Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega or a million other hosting services. Forums are not designed for that.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apologies for not knowing my around the new age of the internet then!

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TAK02 wrote:
Maybe downloading it piece by piece isn't such a bad idea, after all.

Stop crying and listen to advice given to you. >Removed Per Request<

Last edited by 4StarGeneral on Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parts of the tx may work properly with RA2 with some modifications, but it was never intended to be used with it and was untested and hence unsupported by the installer. There was a cut down version once specifically for RA2 but it was never maintained.

The installer was perfectly fine for all possible versions and operating systems at the time so its pointless to complain. The game itself can be a challenge to get installed and working on new operating systems, it's just how things are with programs this old.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
Parts of the tx may work properly with RA2 with some modifications, but it was never intended to be used with it and was untested and hence unsupported by the installer.

Then why didn't you test it?
I can confirm the TX works for RA2 (both game and FA2) just as it does for YR.
Of course, the tracks issue is still there, but that's FA2's problem.
Blade wrote:
The game itself can be a challenge to get installed and working on new operating systems, it's just how things are with programs this old.

Have you tried XWIS? Works fine with CnCNet's client too. Can't confirm for MO 3.3 yet.

Speaking of which: what are the FSM and YVS files for?

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because no one cared to as there was no demand. This must be the first time the decision was ever questioned in 12 years is it? Looks like it was the right decision.

The fact it can be made to work correctly isn't the point, it doesn't work easily out of the box these days and neither does the TX, not the fault of the original packagers.

Of the top of my head I don't recall what those files were for. I didn't build the last version of the installer. Which allowed the TX and FA2YR additions to be enabled and disabled easily BTW, not done just for the sake of it. In fact they were probably part of being able to do just that.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
Because no one cared to as there was no demand. This must be the first time the decision was ever questioned in 12 years is it? Looks like it was the right decision.

Elaborate. I tested the TX as-is (not counting necessary renaming to make RA2 and FA2 actually use those INIs and MIX). Works. Already said that.

Blade wrote:
The fact it can be made to work correctly isn't the point, it doesn't work easily out of the box these days and neither does the TX, not the fault of the original packagers.

It works out of the box as-is. It's just the installer asking for a patched YR that not even EA can provide us with (I remember testing the installer with the RA2+YR from the on-the-house thing. Didn't work). But your other post explains why you never thought of supporting different versions.

Blade wrote:
Of the top of my head I don't recall what those files were for. I didn't build the last version of the installer. Which allowed the TX and FA2YR additions to be enabled and disabled easily BTW, not done just for the sake of it. In fact they were probably part of being able to do just that.

...what..?
Enabled/disabled easily? Easier than just deleting/moving the MIX and INIs?

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe it was intended to operate with a mod manager that was in development at the time, but that never got traction in the community because it never got some of the features it was supposed to get like being able to modify mix files and audio.bag on the fly. The idea was that the TX could be a dependency of a mod and it could pull it in when it installed or disable it if it wasn't compatible IIRC.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So those files aren't need for the game, just a TX-manager that was never finished.

Are the the other TX-creators still around? Is anyone even actively working on the TX? I remember water tunnels among other things being WIP before development went silent.
And yes, the water tunnels are usable for FA2, looking like they would in Marble Madness, but so far haven't been tested with any game. Did anyone test them with RA2/YR? (they're pretty much the same engine when it comes to terrain, no need to differentiate)

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Water tunnels only work with amphibious units & not ships, they weren't finished because of this limitation IIRC.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Water tunnels only work with amphibious units & not ships, they weren't finished because of this limitation IIRC.
Does the game think of the tunnel itself between the entrances as [Clear] or some other terrain Float can't cross by default?

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is possible its some limitation like that, I don't know enough about how the game handles the tunnel path finding to really say for certain.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tunnels use there own terrain type [Tunnel], setting Float to 100% tho has no effect & ships cant move over a cell with that terrain type to enter the tunnel. They are a leftover from TS which didn't have naval units, tunnels are also unused in RA2 too so presumably the logic just wasn't updated to include naval units.

BTW the tunnels in RA2 use the clear (or was it rough!) terrain type which made them unusable, the TX changes it to the correct tunnel terrain type tho.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [48 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon