Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am
All times are UTC + 0
Is there a limit to how many trees RA2/YR can have?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject:  Is there a limit to how many trees RA2/YR can have? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a limit to how many trees RA2/YR can have?

I have tried to add more for the desert terrain, however the game errors out while loading.

Any one have any ideas luck adding new trees?

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested as well, because I always thought I had to replace existing trees images for it to not crash. I never tried adding 1 more tree at a time though.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you adding the same number of trees for all theaters? It's possible it isn't finding your art too, Theater=yes and correct extension?

I've actually had a few missing trees (art) in my mod in one or more theaters, though all were correctly defined, and I never had any crashing either game or editor.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you mean TerrainTypes in rules.ini or placed Trees in a map?

I would guess 255 for TerrainTypes and 65535 for Trees in a map

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have 258 TerrainTypes in D-day, 137 of them being trees & haven't had any problems...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TI also has over 500 TerrainTypes, I doubt RA2 would've imposed a limit here that TS didn't have.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can have plenty of new trees. TerrainTypes does not have the limits
like OverlayTypes. You can have more in desert and not in other theaters,
no problem with that. If art exists, it will be shown in the map, otherwise
it won't be displayed.

Only thing to take care is that in YR 1.001, it can be placed in expandmdXX,
but in RA2 (and probably in YR 1.000) it should be placed in ecache* and
not in expandXX.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

since there is no limit reached and even missing art isn't causing a crash, i assume a bad ini coding is the reason for the crash.
Since it happens already during map loading i assume some bad/wrong used DemandLoad key or something similar.

Or it's the classic corrupt mix bug.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite wrote:
Only thing to take care is that in YR 1.001, it can be placed in expandmdXX, but in RA2 (and probably in YR 1.000) it should be placed in ecache* and not in expandXX.

Thought I'd emphasis on this, as it was quite pesky until I figured it out.

BUT: YR (un- & patched) accepts all SHPs in an expandmdXX.mix, while RA2 only accepts non-TechnoType SHPs in that MIX, everything else has to be in ecacheXX.mix.

I can't confirm for trees, however.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am shocked to see this many comments... Didn't know there was that many active members... Though I will say its nice to see this many people post.

Anyways, Ya I have no idea why it was crashing... I re-coded the trees and created a new mix... And it works now... So, i am not sure...

But ya, it seems like you can add quite a few more trees.

Thanks!

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There shouldn't be a limit. TS and onwards don't use fixed heaps, so the maximum number of objects isn't a fixed value. If anyone has an except for YR with Ares, I can take a look at it.

MadHQ
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This wasn't with Ares, and the problem could have been a corrupt mix or bad code (I am still not sure). But I guess the limit is quite large.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon