Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Normals Painting
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject:  Normals Painting Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Tutorial Name: Normals Painting
Made By: Godwin, from Allies Revenge 2
Dificulty: Hard

Attention! If you are unhappy with your tutorial posted here, e-mail me at webmaster@ppmsite.com and your tutorial will be deleted from this board

This guide has been optimised for viewing in 1024x768 resolution screens.

|------------Introduction------------|
Surface normals, considered the most dreadful part of voxel making. The easiest way out is of course the auto-normaliser that
comes with the latest version of the VXLSE, avaliable here: http://www.tibed.net/files/ and it does already give great results.
This guide is to provide information on how to paint your own TS style normals(the pink stuff), and it is useful for
voxels which have lots of sloping faces and where thus the auto-normaliser could not apply normals correctly or efficiently.

|--------------Files-----------------|
This winzip file includes a test cube voxel, with perfect normals, and an image <<provided by Flyby, who has created multiple
useful tools for the editing community>> to let you better understand what I mean here.

|-------------Tutorial---------------|
Basically, this method of normals painting is one I devised from Strategic Commander's voxels, which have perfect normals.
To paint normals, you'll need Will's Voxel Editor, that is, the first and original, and you'll also need to understand
normals. To put it simply, surface normals manipulate the game's lighting to create different shades of light in accordance
to the direction the voxel is facing, and thus creates shades of light and darkness to make the voxel look like it is reacting
to the game's lighting and environment.

To create this illusion, each shade of normals on the palette serves a different purpose, they must be applied in the
correct places in order to acheive the desired result, this is what the image included in this package is for. As you can see
in the image, it is a 3D object with 26 faces, where the numbers indicate the shade(or index)of normals. When normals are
applied in this correct order, you will have perfect normals. Each face of the voxel has its unique shade of normals, so
refer to the provided voxel, you can see the similarities between it and the image. <<Please take note here, do not follow
the numbers or directions on the image and use that information to apply normals, it is strictly just to let you understand
the faces and indices avaliable>>

Now, make good use of your Windows OS, if you do not already know, you can open multiple voxels at a time, therefore you can
switch between windows to compare the shade of normal selected from the palette (there is an X over the selected shade).
Open the voxel provided, and refer to it, applying normals onto your own voxel. If you want to clear unwanted or old normals
that is messed up (for painting from scratch), select the extreme black shade in the palette, go to 'tools', and select
'set normals to active index', this will make the entire voxel dark, and therefore make it easier to paint on. Just remember,
each direction of facing has its own shade of normals, so every plane standing vertically facing left will have its own shade
of normals.

|----------Important notes-----------|
--When using TS style normals, make sure the normals index is 2, you can change this in the VXLSE by clicking on 'edit header'.

--The red colour shade at the top of the normals palette basically neutralises the area of application, that is, it will be
in the same light/darkness facing every direction, and does not react to ingame lighting conditions. This is good for parts
like lights etc.

--You can use the third black from the top for all details sticking out of your voxel, such as antennae, side mirrors etc.
and/or anything that is too small to apply a good shade on.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Voxels #Graphics #Media #TiberianSun #Firestorm #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #OpenRA #VoxelSectionEditorIII #VoxelSectionEditorII #WillsVoxelEditor 

Last edited by Banshee on Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:29 am; edited 4 times in total

Tapek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does this work for TS too?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, it does afaik.

Tapek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WTF is afaik?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As Far As I Know = AFAIK = afaik

Remus
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
|--------------Files-----------------|
This winzip file includes a test cube voxel, with perfect normals, and an image <
useful tools for the editing community>> to let you better understand what I mean here.

Can someone please tell me where I can get this tutorial's original winzip file with that test cube voxel and the diagram? I think those might help me greatly.

Liek ZOMG X 2
Flamethrower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Talk about bumping a topic Confused

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This tutorial is old. The latest version of VXLSE is hosted here (VXLSE III 1.1a), as well as cube normalizer.

The original tutorial is HERE.

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Jah
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo, Banshee, do u have the latest Will's Voxel Editor? Cuz the version I have is shit...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will's? He lost the code of the original one and made a new open source voxel editor (the VXLSE II). The VXLSE III is availble at the PPM site. Look at the CnC Editing Tools menu and you'll see an option called Get VXLSE III 1.1a

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Remus
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cabal901 wrote:
Talk about bumping a topic Confused

There's nothing wrong with bumping a topic if the reasoning is sensible.

I already have the VXLSEIII 1.1a and the Cube Normalizer, but thanks for the tutorial's address. (I would have googled, but I thought the only sensible place for it would have been if Godwin had his own website, something I was unsure if he even had.)

Jah
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have vxlse, and I know about the lost code, I just need the latest (thou very old) Will's Voxel Editor. I find it much better for making voxels from a scratch.

Jah
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

huh ?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Google... search there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon