Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am
All times are UTC + 0
Mod of the Year 2017 Results!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject:  Mod of the Year 2017 Results!
Subject description: PPM has two mods as charismatic as Kane. Brotherhood, unity and peace!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Every year, ModDB.com (and IndieDB) makes a popularity contest known as Mod of the Year (and Indie of the Year). In this year, we had two mods that have been proven to be quite popular on their ranks. Twisted Insurrection is the 3rd place there, while Dawn of the Tiberium Age has got the 8th position. Here's the media press release on this event:

Quote:
As 2017 reaches its end, we have tallied 104,181 votes and can announce the 2017 Mod of the Year.

---

December 29th, 2017 - This year saw many compelling entries however in the end it was Brutal Doom that took out 1st place, followed closely by the popular Star Wars: Thrawn's Revenge II: Ascendancy and Twisted Insurrection taking out 2nd and 3rd respectively.

We believe that modding is going to play an increasingly important role in shaping the future of gaming, as new content and creativity is key to engaged and happy players. This is evidenced by the winners below, who have pushed boundaries and made something amazing on top of the games that they modded. The final top 10 includes:

10. SWAT: Elite Force
9. Age of Empires III: Wars of Liberty
8. Dawn of the Tiberium Age
7. Morrowind Rebirth
6. Age of the Ring
5. The Empire At War Remake
4. Third Age: Reforged
3. Twisted Insurrection
2. Star Wars: Thrawn's Revenge II: Ascendancy
1. Brutal Doom

Huge thanks to all modders and supporters of the awards who recognize the work these developers dedicate to their craft, read the full results, the editors choice and best upcoming.

Although I have personally lost my enthusiasm regarding popularity contests for a couple of years, I have the moral obligation to congratulate the teams behind Twisted Insurrection and Dawn of the Tiberium Age for this achievement. It's worth reminding people that Tiberian Sun is a 18 years old game that became freeware for nearly a decade and these guys are constantly making a miracle out of a dinosaur.

However, from another perspective, and paying more attention to the other mods listed there, it is clear that most of the popular mods there are based in old games. I think this might be related to this DLC and micro-transactions monetization policies taken by the strongest players in the game development market and the complexity of the newer games that are still moddable that poses as an obstacle for the creation of popular mods by common people.

In PPM, we hope to create tools to eventually lower the difficulty of modding these games or to allow the creation of resources for more advanced indie games. I've been working on it for my whole doctorate. Hopefully, one day, we'll see the result of this effort... but we still have a long road ahead.

Key Words: #News #ModDB #ModDBModOfTheYear #TwistedInsurrection #DawnOfTheTiberiumAge #TiberianSun #Firestorm 

Last edited by Banshee on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats to both mods. Applauses!

I wonder why mods like Renegade X aren't that popular. After all it's imo a very modern engine with many very well done assets. Though i'm only rarely following this mod and maybe not up to date.
Or is it an indie game, since it's not based on some other game but using only a free engine?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A) Congrats

B) What happened to MO?

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If a mod cannot end up better in it's position than what it had in the years before, it won't be mentioned in the results - ModDB had employed this in the Top 100 voting for years now, to make sure not the same project wins all the time (which could actually happen, think of Brutal Doom always being around in this Top 10 list for a while).

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, it's just I'm surprised MO didn't get into the top 10, being the most popular YR mod, apparently.
Do people really like the TS engine with its limited sidebar that much? #Tongue

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As Graion already said, a mod that has previously been in the Top 10 won't be included in the Top 10 unless it ends up in a better position than what it had before.

Because MO was 2nd in 2015 (IIRC), that means MO would have to actually win MOTY to be included in the Top 10.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, that's actually a bit disappointing.
More like a consolation prize/place than a real win, if all the good mods can't be listed by default anymore, since they were already in top10.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great achievement for this community. Congratulations!

JeagerEX12
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congrats for Twisted Insurrection, but why MO did not won in any place?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently, it won last year, and didn't move from its spot in the Top 10 list since then.
Hence why it's in the Honored Mentions list instead.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!