Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Terrain Expansion files
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:  Terrain Expansion files
Subject description: Would've been one and self-extracting file here, but PPM can't handle the size of it
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Download link for the self-extractor:

http://www.moddb.com/games/cc-red-alert-yuris-revenge/downloads/terrain-expansion-self-extracting-installer
(~10.11MB)

7Z download (by 4StarGeneral):
(~21.8MB and dead)

I do NOT claim ownership/making-of this.

Except for the little addition to expand06.mix to allow RA2 to use the inner-corners of the paved-shores (had to manually rename and insert the files, I think).

I also took the liberty of fixing up what bugs I found regarding the TX's INIs.

Known:
-Action 11 was bugged.
-some terrain-sets for some theaters were unusable/unselectable for the map-editor.
-some Technos couldn't be placed. And for good reason: they're still bugged. Use the new toys (which are actually left-overs from the TS days) at your own risk.

Unfixable:
-RA2's FA2 can't add the rail-overlay. At all. EXE problem I can't fix.

If you find any more, please let me know so I can fix and update this.

Info.txt (because of PPM's max of 6 attachments):
Code:
Don't thank me for this.
Thank E1 Elite for giving me the... file-list, and Blade for letting me upload the custom files.
I've fixed up the errors in TX' FAData.ini so that nothing is hidden/ignored, but remember they were ignored for good reasons (they could trigger an IE upon use/presence)

And remember RA2's FA2 can't add rails for unknown reasons, only FA2.02 can, maybe even FA2YR.
Also: INIs/MIXs without md-suffix are there so that the TX can be used for RA2. Had to manually insert the inner-corner paved-shore for RA2's urban theater, tho.

EDIT: Took me quite a while just to get the file format and compression good enough for PPM.

Use 7Zip to extract the files. Have a nice day, and go nuts!

EDIT2: How to get the keywords to show up?

EDIT3: The REAL TX installer is now available for download on ModDB. Links are at the top.

YR.2.7z
 Description:
If this doesn't work, it's the game's/map-editor's fault.

Download
 Filename:  YR.2.7z
 Filesize:  5.72 MB
 Downloaded:  171 Time(s)

YR.1.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  YR.1.7z
 Filesize:  14.73 KB
 Downloaded:  54 Time(s)

Shared.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Shared.7z
 Filesize:  5.8 MB
 Downloaded:  53 Time(s)

RA2.2.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RA2.2.7z
 Filesize:  5.88 MB
 Downloaded:  46 Time(s)

RA2.1.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  RA2.1.7z
 Filesize:  9.91 KB
 Downloaded:  33 Time(s)

FA2.7z
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FA2.7z
 Filesize:  219.83 KB
 Downloaded:  56 Time(s)

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

Last edited by TAK02 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:18 am; edited 7 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you're gonna release it in parts, include it all in 1 zip, they're all tiny MB amounts. If it doesn't fit on the forums, then just dump it in Dropbox or Mega.nz, it's not rocket science.

No reason to include flaming in this post either, please remove. Also, this belongs in RA2 specific forums...

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral wrote:
If you're gonna release it in parts, include it all in 1 zip, they're all tiny MB amounts. If it doesn't fit on the forums, then just dump it in Dropbox or Mega.nz, it's not rocket science.

Now a non-hyper-sensitive installer is available on ModDB. Links at the top.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE:
4StarGeneral's Mega.nz link now included, just in case.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As one of the original authors of the TX I'd like to see this unauthorised modified version of the TX removed from ppm for both modifying it without permission and the poor attitude shown by the poster towards those who originally worked on it and made totally reasonable decisions regarding packaging it at the time.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A) The modifications were errors/bugs you forgot, somehow, in addition to duplicates of the inner-corner shore pieces so that they'd be placeable in RA2's Urban theater as well. (NOTE: I'm sure I did something else as well to get them to work, but forgot)

B) The only disrespect goes to whoever made the installer ask for a specific YR version instead of just installing into whatever directory you tell it to, just like the installers of RA2 and YR, etc. And who thought it would be a splendid idea. Thus eliminating all possibilities of bugless compatibility. Especially considering TX works for unpatched YR as well. I even successfully tested it with RA2 1.0003 (missing THREE patches!) and the old FA2!

But if you insist on making life difficult for modders who want to use your TX, I'll delete the attachments.

Speaking of which: what are the FSM and YVS files for?

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A) What specific changes have you made to the ini files vs the TX shipped ones? FinalAlert ini stuff was probably not known at the time and won't affect compatibility, but the actual control files for the theatres can affect compatibility with existing maps.

RA2 was never intended to be supported by this version, for a start it doesn't need all the stuff for the extra theatres so it would be bloated just renaming the expand06md.mix. As you note it was also missing some base tiles.

B) The installer lock is to ensure it was only used by 1.001 for the casual user because that is the only tested version we wanted to support. It doesn't eliminate bug less compatibility, it ensures it by making it hard to install on any other version where incompatibilities could arise. At the time there were no other versions to conflict with. Get some perspective and stop being a dick about it.

Honestly I actually don't care if its repackaged properly. A package for the game with the original unaltered expandmd06.mix and an additional package for the FA2YR inis as well as any optional changes users might want to make to the theater ini file would be fine (any original readmes should still be included). If you want to build and support an RA2 version then feel free, though demand for that originally was largely none existent or people just built their own for their mods as they desired.

Regarding older versions of FA2, the last release of FA2YR specifically had some old FinalSun code re-enabled for use by the TX which is why earlier versions don't support tracks and other stuff missing from vanilla YR. However FA2YR is quite capable of making RA2 maps.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:
A) What specific changes have you made to the ini files vs the TX shipped ones? FinalAlert ini stuff was probably not known at the time and won't affect compatibility, but the actual control files for the theatres can affect compatibility with existing maps.

RA2 was never intended to be supported by this version, for a start it doesn't need all the stuff for the extra theatres so it would be bloated just renaming the expand06md.mix. As you note it was also missing some base tiles.

The only tiles missing were, again, the inner-corner paved-shores for the urban theater in the right palette. I can't remember what exactly I did to get it to work/show on RA2's Urban theater without it looking like the wrong palette was applied to just those tiles. The least is copy-pasting and then renaming.

And no, just renaming expand06md. mix wasn't enough. Temperate, Snow and Urban INIs had to copy-pasted as well as their name changed.
And RA2Action 11 was bugged (-4 instead of 0. Someone found that bug here on PPM).

Blade wrote:
B) The installer lock is to ensure it was only used by 1.001 for the casual user because that is the only tested version we wanted to support. It doesn't eliminate bug less compatibility, it ensures it by making it hard to install on any other version where incompatibilities could arise. At the time there were no other versions to conflict with.

That explains quite a bit. Still like I said, someone should've still tested it, but seeing as the patched YR was the rage back then and original RA2 pretty much in the background and no-one thought of people who couldn't get the patch to work for various reasons...

Blade wrote:
Honestly I actually don't care if its repackaged properly. A package for the game with the original unaltered expandmd06.mix and an additional package for the FA2YR inis as well as any optional changes users might want to make to the theater ini file would be fine (any original readmes should still be included). If you want to build and support an RA2 version then feel free, though demand for that originally was largely none existent or people just built their own for their mods as they desired.

Then why are you demanding to have the downloads removed from PPM?
I already listed all the changes made. And I'm even asking people to report any bugs and their possible fixes so I can update/change the files.

I'm not as dumb as to not at least make a change log anymore.

Blade wrote:
Regarding older versions of FA2, the last release of FA2YR specifically had some old FinalSun code re-enabled for use by the TX which is why earlier versions don't support tracks and other stuff missing from vanilla YR. However FA2YR is quite capable of making RA2 maps.

I know that.
I'm already using FA2YR 1.02 for the tracks. And ONLY the tracks.
But seeing as I'm moving to the YR engine for C&C S, an RA2 version of the TX that even the first version of FA2 can support is only required for a compatibility patch for the mod. But that's something else.

Last edited by TAK02 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was asking for it taken down because of the disrespectful tone you are taking over 15 year old decisions that were made for perfectly good reasons just because they inconvenience people now. Change the tone to be less scornful of the original packager and make sure you don't make braking changes to the theatre .ini files and I'm fine with it.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Took you long enough #Tongue
Blade wrote:
I was asking for it taken down because of the disrespectful tone you are taking over 15 year old decisions that were made for perfectly good reasons just because they inconvenience people now. Change the tone to be less scornful of the original packager and make sure you don't make braking changes to the theatre .ini files and I'm fine with it.
Very well. I'll try to have it all changed by next week, but no promises.

Although, AFAIK, no changes have been made that would/could break the TX, merely fix what little things went unnoticed until much later, and the inner paved shore corners.

On a side-note: some new pavement tiles don't really connect to existing pavement, if you know what I mean.

Isn't there some flag to tell the game paved shore-tiles are actually pavement so that we don't get a thin line of grass between the paved shore and actual pavement, for example?
Because I remember not even MO fixing that, so...

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfortunately not, the autolat system makes it choose those tiles, you'd have to clone the tile set so it didn't lat at all or make changes to how the game handles the auto lats. At least as far as I recall anyhow.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its not possible, thats why there is a pavement tileset that doesn't LAT.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, how does one define tiles and -sets that LAT when in proximity anyhow? Maybe there's something there...

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can change the LAT tiles in the terrain ini files (snowmd.ini etc) via the "ClearToXXXXLat" tags. The game only has four of them (you cant add anymore) & they only work with the "clear" tiles.

FA2 tho mainly ignores those tags tho & instead uses it's own hardcoded system for LAT tiles. Because of this you can fudge the system a bit so you can have more then four types of LAT tiles but it will result in maps looking different between FA2 & ingame.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...the one instance I hate WW.

Anyone know if Ares will add more?..
Just... whether or not it's possible to add such tags in the first place...

...sigh...

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are no plans for adding any new terrain features to Ares. I've asked multiple times over the years but I've been alone in that request.

I came up with a new method for making LAT tiles tho which you can see here, you need some experience with terrain editing to use it tho.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
There are no plans for adding any new terrain features to Ares. I've asked multiple times over the years but I've been alone in that request.

Terrain is one of the most hard part of the enginge, I've ask some times (via SKYPE) about custom palette or another thing for the terrain... but... heh, maybe is too hard per the number of things that use terrain palette: Buildings, Trees, Tiles, Smudges...

Anyway, MigEater method is the best discovery of the modding about terrain.

Example:
https://i.imgur.com/4bf3jvw.png

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
I came up with a new method for making LAT tiles tho which you can see here, you need some experience with terrain editing to use it tho.

Hope you don't mind me complementing you on such nice tiles. The trenches, pipes, tracks etc. are all nice too. Same goes HG, of course! Smile

What program did you guys use to edit the terrain, tho? Is one better than the other?

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blade wrote:

Sorry for just reading this topic today (it took me long enough).

Anyway, as far as I understand, you are still giving him/her some time to fix these issues. If you give up on him/her, just inform me and this topic will be crapped.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Blade wrote:

Sorry for just reading this topic today (it took me long enough).

Anyway, as far as I understand, you are still giving him/her some time to fix these issues. If you give up on him/her, just inform me and this topic will be crapped.

Already done, and for quite a while too. Last change in the code section made just now.
Now it's just the self-extractor on ModDB and C&C S' credits. The former may take me a while, so apologies in advance.

One more thing:
TAK02 wrote:
EDIT2: How to get the keywords to show up?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Keywords will only show up if they are approved by a moderator. The keywords you are using are not adequate for the standards used in PPM. And I do not know Blade's current reaction to this post and your updates.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Keywords will only show up if they are approved by a moderator. The keywords you are using are not adequate for the standards used in PPM.

Is there atopic for that?
What would the adequate standard for this topic/post be?

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apologies for the bump, but this just occured to me:

Is there a tag/flag in the theater INIs that enables/disables craters on a tile/tile-set? Or is this hard-coded to everything not pavement or road (and how'd one change this definition)?

I'm asking because I have yet to see craters form on roads and pavement.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Add Morphable = true to the tile set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon