Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am
All times are UTC + 0
CnCnet
Moderators: Mig Eater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
prehistoric_pcs
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:  CnCnet
Subject description: When will this amazing mod be supported?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really hoping sometime soon that this mod will be supported by CnCnet and have it's own client! It would make playing online much easier and playing the mod easier as a whole!

Any ideas when it will be supported?

It's not made of snow... It's cheese...

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've only just recently looked into CnCnet, I need to do more testing before I decided on if I'm going to integrate into D-day or not.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All the cool kids are doing it

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Correction: all the cool kids are forced to do it, because Win10 renderer issues.

CnCNet5 "support" is more biased than PPM ever was. Half of the backend of the Rampaclient is closed-source and if your mod isn't Mental Omega, DTA or TI, you will receive no support. If you're on Mac/Linux, you're on your own.

Without Starkku, a good amount of the cool YR mods couldn't even try CnCNet5 integration.

Compared to how the initial CnCNet5 premise claimed how mods would still be supported as much as they were, it's obviously not the case... CnCNet4 was much, much, muuuuuch more modder-friendly.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
Half of the backend of the Rampaclient is closed-source and if your mod isn't Mental Omega, DTA or TI, you will receive no support.

Aside from the updater, the client is 100% open-source. And the only reason why I haven't made the updater open-source as well is that I wrote it in my early teenage years so the code is too horrible to look at, and I haven't had time for re-writing it yet. That being said, the updater is in its own separate library and it's pretty simple, so it'd be easy to write your own.

There are other closed-source components in CnCNet which I can't make open-source, because they've been developed by other people (so calling the closed-source components "the backend of the Rampaclient", when it doesn't really have much to do with me, is rather misleading). The most important closed-source thing when it comes to pure modding is the YR spawner (the TS one is open-source).

Some CnCNet services (like the website, online stats and map-sharing) are closed-source as well, although they're not necessary for getting a mod to work when it comes to basic online play. As with the YR spawner, they're out of my control too.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Without Starkku, a good amount of the cool YR mods couldn't even try CnCNet5 integration.

As far as I can tell, Starkku has helped a lot of people in setting up the client. But there's nothing that'd prevent someone from picking up the client even without Starkku, assuming that they're ready to invest a few hours into learning how stuff works, just like Starkku has done. While there's not much documentation, there's plenty of examples in MO, CnCNet YR, DTA and TI on how everything works. In case you still can't figure something out, you can ask me or other client modders.

Graion Dilach wrote:
Compared to how the initial CnCNet5 premise claimed how mods would still be supported as much as they were, it's obviously not the case... CnCNet4 was much, much, muuuuuch more modder-friendly.

Assuming you're not trying to mod TD or RA1 (since FunkyFr3sh keeps all his stuff, like the TD/RA/TS clients and v3 tunnels, closed-source), mod support isn't much different with CnCNet 5 compared to CnCNet 4. CnCNet 5 with my client does take more effort to set up, but that's to be expected because it's also far more complex and feature-rich, being free from the limitations of the original games' LAN lobbies. Even with its closed-source services that are partially limited to the bigger mods, CnCNet 5 provides far more features for mods than CnCNet 4 ever did.

Graion Dilach wrote:
If you're on Mac/Linux, you're on your own.

This is actually true and not mostly bitter complaining. But that's only so because there are no Mac or Linux users actively working on the client. Some people have still managed to get the client to work on Linux though, and one guy also wrote instructions on how to get MO to work on Linux: https://hastebin.com/raw/metoqelewu

The client is based on MonoGame, so I think it should actually be relatively simple to get it running natively on Linux. It'd probably be done by now if the (relatively few) complainers did something about it instead of expecting me to adopt a whole different OS just for them.

prehistoric_pcs
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I NEED to know if there is anyway to play DDay with my friend online. Does anybody know how? Assistance is greatly appreciated.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Couldn't you just place the D-day files in a clan install of RA2+CnCNet? I'd imagine the menu might have graphical errors but I'd presume that in game it should work fine.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
prehistoric_pcs
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you explain? I made DDay it's own directory with cncnet and the mod + a clean install of RA2. I just don't know what to do.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:

Assuming you're not trying to mod TD or RA1 (since FunkyFr3sh keeps all his stuff, like the TD/RA/TS clients and v3 tunnels, closed-source), mod support isn't much different with CnCNet 5 compared to CnCNet 4.

Even Funky's client, despite being proprietary, has support for mods. You just add two variables in the "cncnet5.ini" file under the "settings" section and off you go like the example below taken from the "Red Dawn" mod for RA1.

Code:

[Settings]
CustomGameType=rard14
CustomGameName=Red Dawn 2014

prehistoric_pcs
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once again, thank you for the swift replies. But i don't have a CnCNet5.ini in my folder?

prehistoric_pcs
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want to sound rude or anything but can someone tell me EXACTLY how to get this to work? I will love you and cherish you for it. I will supply some info in case it helps

My PC: Windows 10

Friend's PC: Windows 7

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont really have any experience with CnCNet, so I can't give you exact steps on what to do. Hopefully someone can help you though.

prehistoric_pcs
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok I don't want to limit my self to just CnCNet. Is there any way I can play this with my friend?  We both love RA2 and WW2 history so this is like the perfect mod to play, We NEED to play this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon