Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:10 am
All times are UTC + 0
Spain
Moderators: Mig Eater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
TDC
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:  Spain Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings!

Have you considered including Spain as a faction? If you don't know on mid 30s there was the Civil War. I ask you this because there are some pros on including it.

1.- Subfactions: At least 3 (Republic, Nationalists and Anarchists) all with their distinctive units.
2.- As it was a very internationalized conflict, most armored units were foreign (German, Soviet, Italian, etc.). That means that most vehicles are already made, and it leaves room for a few disctintive units.
3.- Extraofficial involvement in WWII on both sides: division Azul under German command and republic exiliates on the French Army (the most prominent were the ninth company of the second armored division Leclerc).
4.- As the conflict involved most of the european countries present in the mod and happened in the period you called "pre-war" it could be useful for missions too.

Well, don't know if this could be useful.
Thank you

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spain Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TDC wrote:
2.- As it was a very internationalized conflict, most armored units were foreign (German, Soviet, Italian, etc.). That means that most vehicles are already made, and it leaves room for a few disctintive units.
Think thats actually why Mig Eater hasn't included many countries, such as Spain. So far he's gone for those that had their own designs.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As Bolt said I generally prefer to only add countries that have their own indigenous unit designs, they also need enough of them to fill all the basic roles. At a general glance Spain doesn't meet either of these criteria. However I'm in a researching mood so I spent the day going though my reference material & digging deep online for any obscure projects to see if there is enough units to make a playable side.

I've complied a list here, I still need to do more research on the infantry weapons & the base defenses but I'm sure I'll find some with more time. I've yet to find anything that could be used as a mobile anti-aircraft unit tho, which is a major gap. I've also tried to use as many indigenous Spanish designs as possible but I could only find enough for about 30% of the list, the rest is filled with equipment they bought from other countries (mainly Germany).

Overall tho if you ignore the large amount of German units & if some SPAA can be found it could be possible to add Spain as a playable side...

Last edited by Mig Eater on Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
TDC
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for giving it a try! I'll make my rsearch, too. I'm sure you have already found this. I've heard too that a Panzer I prototype fitted with flamethrower was tested on Spanish grounds (but not likely used in combat).
I found that republicans used Polish Browning and MP28 "Naranjero" (between a lot of other weapons) for their infantry. The polish Browning machinegun was also used in vehicles, such as T-26. Hotchkiss was also popular.

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wasn't Spain neutral after the civil war?
No reason to include them in the mod if they had no part in the conflict, right?

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
TDC
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neutral officially, but not in practice. Both sides of the civil war extended their fighting during WWII. Franco sent men on Russia and Republican fought alongside the allies in hopes of a Spain invasion after the liberation of France. Spain would have entered the war alongside the axis as they agreed with Hitler and Mussolini, but on a date decided by Franco and without warning them (he used this clausule for not enter officially, but if the tide of the war hadn't have changed, sure it would). This conflict is often considered a prelude to WWII, a direct cause and testing grounds on the new armored units, air force and navy (including submarine warfare).
For the republicans fighting on French command, "La Nueve", they liberated Paris, but were then erased from history because French army wanted the public to think France liberated herself. The first flag the Parisiens saw the day they were liberated was the Spanish republican tricolor (as they were allowed to fight under their own flag intead of the french one).
As for the Spanish state, it was one of the main ratlines. They were fighting republican resistence "maquis" for years, the last ones in the 1960s.

Last edited by TDC on Sat May 05, 2018 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The neutrality or belligerence of a country isn't an important factor when deciding if they should be added or not. A large focus of D-day is what-if scenarios after all. The main requirement is that a country has enough equipment to fulfill gameplay requirements.  

Sweden has already been added to D-day as a playable side & is a prime example of this. They remained neutral for the entire war but built up a large army in case either the Axis or Allied forces invaded.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Ramius_Typhoon
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spain would definitely be an interesting thing to play both in the context of the Spanish Civil War or in alternative scenarios (Republican Spain winning and fighting alongside France in 1940? Nationalist Spain striking Gibraltar? Allied landings in 1943 in southern Spain?) and would not need a lot of new models, but it would still be one hell of a large project that could be hard to handle on top of an already ambitious mod with tons of units.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon