Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Tesla tanks in battle fortress cause IE
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EWAZX
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:  Tesla tanks in battle fortress cause IE
Subject description: TTNK in BFRT gives EIP 004C2C19
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An IE with unknown EIP=004C2C19 occurs when/after a battle fortress with tesla tanks inside is killed. More generally a VehicleType with IsElectricBolt=true weapon will cause the IE when inside a OpenTopped transport. This does not always happen but it usually does when the transport is killed while the electric bolt weapon is still firing. And it's observed in both YR1.001 and Ares.
A particular case is when a BFRT with many TTNKs inside as initial payload is created by UnitDelivery superweapon and then is killed when/after the electric bolt weapon is fired. This almost guarantees an IE.
Previously I have experienced random crashes with the same EIP, possibly caused by some OpenTopped transport (perhaps with Ares' InitialPayload as well). I have also tested other cases, like infantries inside the battle fortress, and tanks with other kinds of weapons. But the "TTNK in BFRT" is the only one where I can reproduce the IE so far.
I know people do not often stuff tanks into a battle fortress but I post it here anyway. And attached the except file in case someone knows the reason or can fix it.

except_TTNKinBFRT.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  except_TTNKinBFRT.zip
 Filesize:  7.94 KB
 Downloaded:  10 Time(s)

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

N00b question, but did you adjust the BFRT to be able to actually carry as many TTNKs as you had in InitialPayload? As in: BFRT's Passengers and SizeLimit and/or TTNK's Size.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
EWAZX
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. And I tried both InitialPayload and manually loaded BFRT. Also OpenTopped AircraftTypes loaded with TTNK give the same error.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a weird handling which specialcases infantries in electric bolts for the tesla bolt's firingoffset to be updated when the infantry switches-to-proneoffset but this is also used from firing out on a transport/garrison.

Pretty sure that's causing this crash.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting and think it would be prudent for Ares to fix this...

nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My apologies for necromancing this topic, but this IE still exists, and I can't find a workaround to prevent it from happening. Which basically means you can't have an open-topped unit that allows vehicles in it, because then you run the risk of having this crash happen. That seems like a major limitation to mods (I mean, who doesn't want Apocalypse Tanks inside Kirov Airships? #Tongue).

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

set the tesla tank Size high enough, so it can't fit inside any transport.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course, but that is not desirable behaviour and it makes no sense to exclude only Tesla Tanks from such transport units.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Set OpenTransportWeapon to the Secondary, which should be a dummy weapon that does nothing.

Or make it another Tesla-weapon so it crashes again.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually hadn't thought of that yet, so that's a good idea - but I believe the crash comes from a vehicle with IsElectricBolt=true, not? So we can't give the Tesla Tank a secondary weapon that looks and acts like its normal weapon, but prevents the crash from occurring. Unless we sacrifice the graphics that IsElectricBolt=true creates.

EDIT: Unless we give the Tesla Tank a dummy weapon and give it an InitialPayload passenger with the Tesla Tank's actual weapon. That might be a workable solution, unless it messes up the unique FLH? Can this kind of open-topped-inception-magic actually exist? Imagine creating an infinite loop of open-topped units inside each other. #Tongue

Virgil
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Set FireInTransport=no on its weapon to prevent Tesla Tank from firing inside an opentopped vehicle and everything will be fine.
InitialPayload passengers don't stop firing when the vehicle is lifted by magnetrons or EMPed or has its weapon disabled. You also need two passengers to create an FLH change as Burst on opentopped weapons dont change FLH.

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could you not set its second weapon to that of the Tesla Trooper? or do they crash it too? because if so, that'd be such a strange bug.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only the top-level unit will have InitialPayload read, having those units also have InitialPayloads will result in them being empty.

ex.
[TANK1]
InitialPayload=TANK2

[TANK2]
InitialPayload=TANK3

will result in TANK2 being empty inside TANK1.

It's odd because Tesla Troopers will fire from BFRT without issue so I imagine it's a vehicle type only bug. Have you tested Aircraft types?

nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you mean whether I have tested making an open-topped aircraft unit, yes; I put Tesla Tanks in Kirov Airships (well, technically Kirov Gunships...) and that is how I became aware of this crash.

Virgil, the point is to have everything work as expected (or, that it looks that way, without being aware of the underlying code); a Tesla Tank being able to fire its weapon from inside an open-topped transport, just like any other units.

I believe the crash is a result of a vehicle having IsElectricBolt=true, MRMIdAS, in which case that would result in a crash too, but I have not specifically tested your idea.

That is useful to know 4StarGeneral, thank you. Smile

MRMIdAS
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, that's quite a bug. lol

cxtian39
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FLH issues? Tank inside uses its own FLHs while man uses transport AlternateFLHs

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will this ever be fixed?

Quote:
set the tesla tank Size high enough, so it can't fit inside any transport.

That would exclude it from transports which aren't even oppen-topped.

And disabling the weapon somehow (does OpenTransportWeapon even work on vehicletypes? this logic was only designed for infantry) retains the problem that this is a gameplay disadvantage for any bolt-based vehicle as compared to any other.

nlspeed
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, vehicles can fire from inside open-topped units. What makes you think the logic is designed for infantry in specific?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon