Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am
All times are UTC + 0
You're invited to join Mark Skaggs' new C&C/RTS game project
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject:  You're invited to join Mark Skaggs' new C&C/RTS game project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, Mark Skaggs, the Executive Producer of the original Generals game and I, are looking to make a new C&C RTS game. It may or may not keep the C&C title and it may or may not be an indie game that we'd sell (most likely not), we haven't thought up a lot, but we do know we want to make a fun RTS game that is in the spirit of Generals and that feels and plays like a C&C game. We're looking for people interested in the project. We have a small team so far, some modders from the community are helping us. We're currently debating using Unity, the original Generals (SAGE, probably heavily modified) or Unreal Engine 4, and are probably most likely to use Unity. We haven't talked about what the game will be like, the factions, the era it would be set in, etc. It's all still very open to discussion. We want the community's input.

We're currently working using a platform called Slack, which is great for teams to communicate. Most professional businesses use this. It's a great tool. Send me your e-mails and full name and I'll have Mark send you an invite by e-mail to join up his Slack team page. Check your inbox and junk folder, it should be an invite to join "Mark Team 1".

I know you guys are talented C&C modders and that's what we're looking for. Mark appointed me to get people on the project. So send me your e-mail and full name if you're interested. We already have some famous people from around the community, along with community leaders, like Cypher, Eric Krause (EA_Cire, community manager from the now-defunct Victory Games), EA Rhiordd (Tiberium Alliances community manager), CC_Hyper and the RotR team.

My info is (you can add me on Facebook):
Full name: Alexander Tanasie
E-mail: alex05222@hotmail.com

P.S. - I did send this to a few of you, but figured this way, things would be a lot easier. And the old message formatted strangely here and wasn't as descriptive.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First of all, I appreciate this initiative. I hope a good game comes out of this initiative. I have a couple of doubts about some things you've said in your post, Alex. I'll restrict it to one question.

My question comes from your quote:

Quote:
We're currently debating using Unity, the original Generals (SAGE, probably heavily modified) or Unreal Engine 4, and are probably most likely to use Unity.

How would SAGE be heavily modified in such situation? I mean, it is an engine that belongs to EA. I understand that Mark has led a team who worked on it in the past, but it still belongs to EA. I don't think Mark is part of EA anymore and this project won't have a connection to it, either. If SAGE is used, this mod should be treated as a mod and the source code of SAGE (if Mark has a copy of it) can't be recompiled directly.. at least not legally.

I'm aware you guys tend to choose Unity... but I was really curious about this SAGE option.

Other than that, I wish you guys good luck. I hope somebody can code a proper A* algorithm that takes into account team work and the other many alliance and terrain restrictions that a proper RTS will require. I don't know if it is a trivial thing to add to a Unity or Unreal project. I remember that Victory Games was having a hard time to do that with Frostbite engine.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IF we chose SAGE, it'd only be a mod, like any other. ZH Enhanced, Tiberian Dawn/Sun Redux, Modern Warfare, Final Battle and a few others are all using modified SAGE engines. That's what was implied by that. But their non-profit mods. If we use Unity, we can do our own thing and *maybe* get paid for it. But even now, it's not sure.

I'd love to be able to have a huge, able team that could tackle a game on an engine like Unreal Engine 4. However, it seems that given that Unity is easier and Mark is already on track with acquiring access to Unity, that's probably what we're going to use.

As for Frostbite, that was due to how the engine was made. It was designed with nothing integrated to it, so you have to code any new feature into it yourself, by hand. It was like starting everything from scratch. Frostbite was first and foremost an FPS engine, not designed to work for RPG or RTS games. But Unreal has a lot more, and Unity, well, we can pretty much do something that's easily shippable, which is what attracted Mark and other team members to the engine.

And thanks for the support. We'll do our best. Smile

EDIT: I'm hearing we might have Louis Castle on board...
EDIT 2: John Riccitello, former CEO of EA, who loved C&C and campaigned for Generals 2 to remain in development at EA during 2012, is now CEO of Unity Technologies (who created Unity Engine). And Mark Skaggs is still in contact with him (and we're using Unity). Things may just have gotten REAL real.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm interested in helping, once you have a plan & know how, where & what you are going to make etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All right, Mig. Shouldn't be too long, Mark says he has a high concept for an RTS game that he wants to pitch to us these coming days.

If you ever feel like joining in to pitch some suggestions or ideas, you'll be welcome, of course. Otherwise, we'll keep you posted.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I'd obviously love to give some input on the design side, ideas etc but I've no graphical or I suppose practical skills particularly, I've just modded YR. I did use Unity some but I depends what level you're going into.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am part of the RotR team. I am not part of this. And right now I don't even intend to be a part of this.

I also see no proof that any good stuff will come out and honestly, this seems to me that a forgotten name tries to abuse his name to leech off the modding community.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:
I also see no proof that any good stuff will come out and honestly, this seems to me that a forgotten name tries to abuse his name to leech off the modding community.

You mean you will be overused with no benefits?

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'd volunteer as non-payed concept artist, seeing as i'm still learning in a current project, i'd broaden my skillset with this.

Hydraw Art on Facebook

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be nice if something good came out of this, but I don't think I'll take part in it.

I consider my strongest points to be in game-design-related aspects like story, missions and gameplay concepts in general, but that also means I usually consider my own ideas to be the best and have some difficulty to compromise on them Laughing

That, and Generals wasn't exactly my favourite C&C, so the explicit mention of it makes me a little uncomfortable.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Generals was okay game but game engine as stands is pile of camel shit, its unstable and laggy as hell and curiously C&C3 + run far better...
Either way SAGE/RNA is outdated junk engine that does not live up to today's graphical expectations and any considerations of using it should be forgotten.

Unity may be most ideal choice, going for UE4 may have far higher workloads and even less people are familiar with it and UE3 experience isn't quite the same.

Sadly this news post does not outline what is really needed apart from genericly asking modders... modders in general? specific engine?

and so therefore, what part of development in particulars? art, sfx, ideas, concept artists, story writers... ?

Joining this and finding out you have actually little to contribute as it was not clarified would be waste of anyone's time.

TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good luck.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, all those interested, PM me your e-mail and full name and I'll have Mark Skaggs send you an invite. (Notably blubb (yes! We need concept artists!) and ApolloTD (you're right about the engines, which is why we're going with Unity.)) State your talents if you want and it'll help Mark Skaggs assess if you're a good add to the team, but he trusts my judgment and I only send him the names of people whom I've seen the work of, already. OmegaBolt, send me your full name by PM via ModDB, Mark requested I send him everyone's full name.

We're looking for everything. Writers, art (everything, be it 2D, concept, animation, effects, etc.), ideas.

And thank you, TaShadan!

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wait, in what way will you use the original SAGE if it's only used as an existing game? Does this mean someone still has the SAGE source codes?

As for being part of this project: what kind of people would you need? I'm more of a jack-of-all-trades guy, so I'm not sure if you'd need those kind of people.

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
Wait, in what way will you use the original SAGE if it's only used as an existing game? Does this mean someone still has the SAGE source codes?

As for being part of this project: what kind of people would you need? I'm more of a jack-of-all-trades guy, so I'm not sure if you'd need those kind of people.

We're going to be using Unity, so a whole new game, actually. And I don't have any source code for SAGE and doubt that Mark has it, either. What I meant was that we could've chosen to modify Generals 1 like what Final Battle and Modern Warfare (two Generals mods) are doing and make a mod that's similar in vein. It was one of the suggestions/options, but now we're going with Unity engine.

As for what kinds of people we're looking for...Well, as a "jack-of-all-trades", what can you do?

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Y'all looking for writers? Huh... Alex, PM me?

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Latest row of invites sent. And PM me, Volgin. Full name and e-mail.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there i hope that i can help you with ideas and 3ds models as far as i can mostly for aircrafts and helicopters i also have a farly good knowledge in military specially Nowday one so i surgets to make a realistic RTS because i think that no one made it i mean the closest one is Wargame:Red dragon which is a coldwar one so if someone is going to make a game that is profitable(no only in term of money)i think that no one has exploited that concept

Houseplant
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Houseplant
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mark Skaggs has no affiliation with this mod and the interview was not about it. However, Eric Chou (GeneralJist) is Tiberium Secret's leader and Matt Ross (Fandore) also works on it. This is why this interview has a Tiberium Secrets logo on it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon