Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Tiberian Sun: Reborn's Mammoth MKII's new look!
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject:  Tiberian Sun: Reborn's Mammoth MKII's new look!
Subject description: There will be no mercy against the terrorists of the Brotherhood of Nod.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The crew over Tiberian Sun: Reborn have recently posted an update with the new look of their Mammoth Mark II and some other bots as well. As a first-person shooter game, bringing the Tiberian Sun atmosphere to the Renegade engine, you'll be able to drive these beasts. And that must be fun, isn't it?

Here's a family photo:

And a solo one, showing the beast moving in 3Ds Max:

Their whole news post, showing up more goodies than the ones above is available at their forums on W3D Hub. I don't know if we will be able to drive this little guy in a low term since it is a very complex project to develop. Anyway, if you've got interested in this project, head to their Official Forums for more information.

Key Words: #News #Renegade #TiberianSunReborn 

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The models look great.

I don't think i like the walk anim though. Looks way too bouncy and lightweight for a multi-ton super heavy walker.
An elephant gait would fit better imo, even though it would require a quite slower movement speed.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

djohe
Cyborg Informer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
The models look great.

I don't think i like the walk anim though. Looks way too bouncy and lightweight for a multi-ton super heavy walker.
An elephant gait would fit better imo, even though it would require a quite slower movement speed.
I agree that walk animation looks wrong compared to the 2 videos of it, beside that it looks pretty good but it is little hard to tell. Not 100% sure but looks slightly off to me compared to http://www.cybergooch.com/pages/tibsunarchive/mkii.htm and the MK.II destruction video but mabe I am just imagining things.
PS: I like how you LKO have the avatar of a Mammoth Mk.II and posts on news related to it

Last edited by djohe on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only a few small issues from what i can see:
-the upper leg seems to be a tad long
and that square plate on the side of the knee should be attached to the lower leg, not the upper leg.
-the front section looks a tad long (one small armor plate shorter might be better)
-the bottom of the front section should be askew. if you look at the metal panels below the 17, they are higher under the 17 than further to the front. I think this gives the Reborn MMKII that slightly boxy look.
-if you look at the original, the gold part in front of the grey metal panel is also higher than it is long, while on the Reborn the gold part is way longer than it is high.

Public SHPs

Tools

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see - the legs like to extend once they hit the ground, which makes the bounce. That part of it does look unnatural.

Some trivia: the original Star Wars AT-AT animators actually looked at elephants to get tips on how to work the legs

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A heavy legged vehicle such as this would try to coordinate the walking to minimize vertical jounce. Seriously with that much movement everyone would be seasick in 5min inside, and probably throwing up all over the controls.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it would be no problem to make the cockpit steady as a rock, but i guess it wouldn't look that well.

When i made the Star Wars mechs looong ago, people complained about the non-moving ATAT body

btw, this would be a good example for an elephant walk gait, having always 3 legs firmly on the ground.

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Such close examination of a vehicle that cannot even turn around.

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Their textures are trash. The model is very low detail with various square polygons attempting to represent detail. It' looks like a stupid ATAT. We need some real artists up in here.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
When i made the Star Wars mechs looong ago, people complained about the non-moving ATAT body

btw, this would be a good example for an elephant walk gait, having always 3 legs firmly on the ground.

A sideways sway in the gait would make it less fixed in space, without looking like a bobblehead.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mechacaseal wrote:
Their textures are trash. The model is very low detail with various square polygons attempting to represent detail. It' looks like a stupid ATAT. We need some real artists up in here.

It's not the model quality. I did this 7 years ago on a whim. That's DarkPlaces Quake (IE a sourceport of the original Quake 1). I used the old APB mammoth model, ported it to MD3, made a shitty bumpmap in 5 minutes, put that on the turret. Two dynamic lights to cast the shadows, and done. Wouldn't say it looks great, but it's not awful.

The Renegade engine projects are what happens when you take relatively high quality models and put them in an engine that uses lighting techniques that were in vogue....20 years ago. Models look flat and undetailed. Artists have to prebake details into the texture that would otherwise be handled by the lighting system, etc etc...

One Winged Angel
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Only a few small issues from what i can see:
-the upper leg seems to be a tad long
and that square plate on the side of the knee should be attached to the lower leg, not the upper leg.
-the front section looks a tad long (one small armor plate shorter might be better)
-the bottom of the front section should be askew. if you look at the metal panels below the 17, they are higher under the 17 than further to the front. I think this gives the Reborn MMKII that slightly boxy look.
-if you look at the original, the gold part in front of the grey metal panel is also higher than it is long, while on the Reborn the gold part is way longer than it is high.

Thanks for this feedback! It really pointed out a couple of good things that can easily be fixed.

- I can't really do much about the leg length at this stage, but I have correctly reattached the square plate to the lower leg
- I have reduced the length of the front overall and will be scaling up the chin-gun, to scale it as it is done correctly in the cutscenes
- It's a bit too much work to skew the front at this stage
- I'm not sure about where you mean with the gold part

In regards to the animation, I can certainly have a go at making it bob and sway less to see if I can get it to look a bit more stable.

Keep an eye out for our update on Thursday to see the final results!

Cheers guys!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

attached some images of my model which i think comes pretty close to the original MMKII (i've added a few additional smaller details but main shape should match).
Images are 800x600 (right click open image to view full size)

a bigger version of my avatar, showing the walkcycle (maybe it helps)
though i'm not that fond of it myself, as the duration before the rear leg touches the ground and the front leg left the ground is too long. It would fall to the side in those few frames.
The front leg should leave the ground and immediately followed by the rear leg touching the ground.

concerning the gold part, see attached image with notes

\Edit
out of interest, can you use 3ds max inverse kinetics (IK HI solver) to animate legs or do you had set key frames and animate each part of the leg separately?

mmkii_side_notes.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.93 KB
 Viewed:  3589 Time(s)

mmkii_side_notes.png

Public SHPs

Tools

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh.

Last edited by Mechacaseal on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can someone ban already this useless troll?

Public SHPs

Tools

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh.

367576974.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.65 KB
 Viewed:  3530 Time(s)

367576974.jpg

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AAAAH! MY EYES! BLEACH!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
One Winged Angel
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
attached some images of my model which i think comes pretty close to the original MMKII (i've added a few additional smaller details but main shape should match).
Images are 800x600 (right click open image to view full size)

a bigger version of my avatar, showing the walkcycle (maybe it helps)
though i'm not that fond of it myself, as the duration before the rear leg touches the ground and the front leg left the ground is too long. It would fall to the side in those few frames.
The front leg should leave the ground and immediately followed by the rear leg touching the ground.

concerning the gold part, see attached image with notes

\Edit
out of interest, can you use 3ds max inverse kinetics (IK HI solver) to animate legs or do you had set key frames and animate each part of the leg separately?

Thanks for taking the time to put this post together. I appreciate it!

I have adjusted the animation and reduced the length of the front now, so I'll put together a video when I get some time. It looks a lot more stable now though, which is good.

I'm planning on reducing the size of the grey panel next, in order to allow some of the main chassis to come through, although that probably won't be as much as what you've got on your model, because it's a bit too much work to alter the UVs at this stage.

We're using CAT Rigging and IK solvers in 3DS Max in order to control the animation of the walk cycle. The Renegade X team gave us a hand with the rig and animation work, so I'm just adding polish to it now. I'm fairly happy with how it's come out personally.

Cheers again for the feedback!

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mechacaseal wrote:
Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Can someone ban already this useless troll?

Not the validation you were looking for i presume? Even The Mastodon looks better. And here you are discussing the shape of its ass.

1. we are discussing the MMKII, not the mastodon. topic failed.
2. i pointed out the end of the railgun. not the back of Reborn's mammoth, which isn't visible in any of the images above.
3. your image is useless as all of your comments
4. you again derailed a topic
5. you again failed to give constructive criticism
6. you again failed to discuss things in a polite manner

(7.) and i want you to remember that post of yours that was already deleted from this topic, which showed your usual foul manners

Public SHPs

Tools

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If that's the case, then why don't you go ahead and be the better man (or woman) and a role-model and actually STAY on-topic when others clearly don't?

That, and last I chked, you were the one who derailed your own (and others') topics. The others simply jumped on the wagon with you when you jumped.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mechacaseal wrote:
TAK02 wrote:
If that's the case, then why don't you go ahead and be the better man (or woman) and a role-model and actually STAY on-topic when others clearly don't?

That, and last I chked, you were the one who derailed your own (and others') topics. The others simply jumped on the wagon with you when you jumped.

True I guess. But the C&C reborn MKII doesn't need to look exactly like Tiberian Sun's. If it looks better than the original then it's a improvement. Odds are no one is gonig to downlaod reborn just to see the mammoth mkii shorter neck or walking animation. Now maybe someone will but odds are they wont notice the change. Cause no one plays it. Even with bots. Arguably a waste of time and energy but so is arguing with someone on this forum. Lin makes sure I notice him so yes the guinea pig was to make him notice me.

Fair enough. Do try to be less hostile to each other tho folks, we're all followers of Kane's vision here.

Mechacaseal
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh.

Last edited by Mechacaseal on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

McPwny
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what literally even is this thread?

Serial_Rapist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@McPwny Autistic passive aggressive nerds busy NOT playing W3D Hub.

All of you go play W3D Hub now: https://w3dhub.com/#/home

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!