Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:50 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Extending map beyond upper border?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject:  Extending map beyond upper border? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to extend map size to upper (red) area as shown in picture below?

I am trying to make large map as possible in FS and then extending it behind viewable area.

I would like to know if there is some way or tool to add empty level 0 tiles to upper part.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a wae:

When defining the new width and height, make sure that the "top" number is equal to the number of rows you are wanting to add.

It also goes for "left" if you want to add columns to the left of the map.

I tend to release things I create so that assets are never lost to hard drive problems, accidental deletion, or me having to pretend to care about rippers taking things from my project when it is done. #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I modify Size= under [Map], it will add tiles at the bottom for "height" and modified "width" adds tiles to both left and right sides, as blue area in picture.

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tuc0 wrote:
If I modify Size= under [Map], it will add tiles at the bottom for "height" and modified "width" adds tiles to both left and right sides, as blue area in picture.

But you might lose some cells on the bottom. If not, congrats, you've made a discovery!

I hope you've made a backup or are testing with a mostly clear map...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Twitter Channel URL Skype Account
Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is not possible to "lose" cells by changing map size in text editor and running TS afterwards.
Only FinalSun or other tools can change map file, but that I plan to use on finished map.

But I sure do backup my map progress.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no, it's not possible to extend a map towards north by editing the map ini.
In the north center is where the map has its x/2 and y/2 location, so top left corner has x0, y=width and top right corner has x=height, y0

Though I have a hard time to wrap my head around this strange layout myself.
I don't really grasp why when raising the width, the map moves up by half the amount of cells.
Like raising width by 14, moves the map upwards by 7.

I guess it has something to do how the map stores the map as rows.
Where changing width it has to re-adjust all stored rows, while changing heigth only has to add/remove rows from the end.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I have observed same behavior, also rendered map snapshot shows that.
TS for some reason crops few upper rows.

I wish there was some way to extend size (such as profile for MapTool)   Sad

TAK02
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tuc0 wrote:
I wish there was some way to extend size (such as profile for MapTool)   Sad

You could take the FA2YR 1.02 that E1_Elite made, and use it to extend the map accordingly.

Downside is, the map will always be "corrupt", and when saving, might actually really become corrupt...
But you can always try it out, see if it works, and use that method until someone thinks of something else.
You can get a working, bare-bones copy of RA2 and YR here.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haha you guys can't visualize a rotated grid expanding in two directions to get the visible grid to expand in one?

And to perhaps answer, yes you can extend the map upwards and leave all the existing map at the bottom in FA2, it has fields for the offsets, you can choose how many cells it shifts the map by down and right. If you expand an 85 wide map by 15 and want your map to be entirely on the right, you choose 15 offset instead of the default 7 if gives you.

The viewable area of the map, the blue outline, is separately adjustable and totally decoupled from the physical size.

Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Viewable area is not the problem.

Can FA2 handle bigger maps than w+h 418 compared to FS? If it crashes at 419, that wouldn't help the issue in the first place.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I understand is that the choosen map size is already at the maximum limit that FinalSun/FA2 can support. So any increase cannot be done even with the patched FinalSun. FinallSun and FA2 has the same limits. That limit is a combination of W+H <= 512 and W*H less than about 43500.

Currently both the Map Renderer and MapTool are inadequate for such a feature. It would be comparatively less complex to make a new tool than modifying these existing tools for this purpose, just for the coordinates computation without the preview pack change. But whether it is worth the effort is questionable as every section which has coordinates info has to be modified, just for a few lines extension of the outer boundary.

Tuc0
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True, FS works fine with to around WxH 43656, and up to 43904 works but minimap gets corrupted.

But I agree that making tool for less than 4 people to be able to make map larger by around 9% is kinda pointless.

Looks like that TS way of adding cells to changed size width works in both ways. Shrinking width adds cells to top and shifts whole map down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon