Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 pm
All times are UTC + 0
A brief history of dying game companies...
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
m666
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject:  A brief history of dying game companies... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is to address some major game companies who were on the verge of dying and produced a game, either bringing them back or not.

Square - Final Fantasy

D_mn, can't remember the name - Dead or Alive

Westwood (while they were just westwood, no known ea interaction) - Red Alert 2

Hmm...seems to me that if you are a dying company, the greatest games should come from you.  Its a regular trend in gaming industry.  But not with Westwood.  If they had only put more time into cleaning it up...

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Arikado
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tecmo made Dead or Alive for the arcades back in '96 and you're right, they were indeed in a slump. Besides their sports games they had nothing to show for since their Ninja Gaiden series went on hiatus.

Not every dying company can make its last stand.

Like Acclaim, known for their NBA Jam, Extreme-G and Turok series. Their last stand, 100 Bullets for PS2 and Xbox, was cancelled.

Or, TechnoSoft, creators of the Thunder Force series. They were bought out by some pachinko company before they finished the sixth Thunder Force game for Dreamcast. Sad

Another company sold its properties to a pachinko company (and others) to make amends: Shin Nihon Kikaku or SNK. King of Fighters or Metal Slug couldn't save SNK from their flops, Neo-Geo Pocket and Neo-Geo Pocket Color. The Capcom VS. SNK games were successful but Capcom got most of the money since they developed the games.
Even though SNK is still around now as SNK Playmore, its just a shadow of its former self. Crying or Very sad

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: A brief history of dying game companies... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modder666 wrote:

Incorrect, you loose 15 points. EA bought Westwood when TS was being developed. EA owned Westwood way b4 RA2 was being made. Hence why TS has EA in the copyright line.

WW afaik never were in trouble b4 EA bought them over. CnC and RA was hits.

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A brief history of dying game companies... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Modder666 wrote:
Square - Final Fantasy

Square merged with their one time rival Enix - they were only in danger due to ztyping up with The Spirits Within.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A brief history of dying game companies... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

stucuk wrote:
Modder666 wrote:

Incorrect, you loose 15 points. EA bought Westwood when TS was being developed. EA owned Westwood way b4 RA2 was being made. Hence why TS has EA in the copyright line.

WW afaik never were in trouble b4 EA bought them over. CnC and RA was hits.

they allowed themselves to be bought out and later consumed (after renagade but before generals) because they wanted to expand their fan base, as if they needed it.

Fellshyun
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A brief history of dying game companies... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnivean wrote:
Modder666 wrote:
Square - Final Fantasy

Square merged with their one time rival Enix - they were only in danger due to ztyping up with The Spirits Within.

Indeed, But they surelly didn't screw up Advent Children.

Anyways EA must be stopped, they think they can take over all the company's and screw up their best games. Just look at how much of the market EA owns

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im afraid there isn't much you can do about them. For every one person who belongs to an online community that understands how EA treats their games franchises, theres probably at least 5 or 6 more who dont and will buy the game anyway.

Besides, i bet your one of those people who dont like what EA are but still bought generals aren't you.

Fellshyun
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes indeed. But generals is fine, the gameplay I mean. only the story is screwed with the help of EA. And there are more games of EA that I have.
They don't screw up everything. And the problem is you can't buy a game these days which somehow EA isn't involved to.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think there were a few people (myself included) who hoped EA could produce a good-quality C&C game. After I found out that it wasn't, I gave up on EA. Since then, I have only bought one other EA game (Black and White 2) which has sealed my opinion regarding their gaes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum