Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 pm
All times are UTC + 0
(old) Alien Vulcan Tank
Moderators: EVA-251
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject:  (old) Alien Vulcan Tank
Subject description: aka AVAALT
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

--GENERAL INFORMATION--
Vehicle Class- Alien "Vulcan" Anti-Aircraft Laser "Tank"
Purpose- Anti-Aircraft
Speed- Maximum 76km/h
Movement- Hoverjet, treads when neccessary
Cost- 2350

--Weapons Systems--

Primary Weapon- Phased Array Laser Class A
---Damage: Medium-Heavy
---Range: Very Long
---Orientation: Anti-Aircraft, Anti-Airborne
---Recharge Rate: Around 3 seconds
---Firing Quantity- 2 round bursts, 4 when upgraded(elite)
--Comments: This weapon is highly lethal toward all airborne units, be it paratroopers or heavy bombers.

Secondary Weapon- Standard Low-Range Pulse Laser
---Damage: Light
---Range: Medium-Long
---Orientation: Anti-Infantry, Anti-Light-Armor
---Recharge Rate: Around 2 seconds
---Firing Quantity- 1 round burst, 2 when upgraded(elite)
--Comments: This weapon is designed to fend off harassing infantry or light vehicles such as HMVEEs and SS IFVs. Heavy armor and well equipped infantry are much resistant to this weapon.

--Armoring--
Avg Thickness- 5 inchs
Composition- Steel Composite, many unknown metal alloys make this resistant to kinetic rounds.

--Description--
The Alien Vulcan Tank earned its nickname from EDF/SS soldiers who survived to see the vehicle. The effective damage and lethal firing rate of the vehicle's primary weapon system makes it an incredible danger to anything that flies. This weapon has been known to down high-flying bombers, sturdy helicopters and clear the skies of paratroopers.

Our commanders have learned the aerial approach is the worst one to take toward this vehicle. The best way to approach this lethal unit is by the sea or ground. Its light anti-land and sea weapon, a pulse laser, does very little damage to ship plating and tank armor, especially of the composite variety. Ever-increasing contact with this unit has revealed that infantry weapons like light flak cannons, machine guns and low yield explosive devices do little damage to it.

Heavy anti-tank weapons, the Anti-Tank soldier's (formerly known as GGI) Javelin missile, the tank destroyer's cannon, and most heavy weapons systems mounted on artillery and assault tanks can damage this unit substantially more than standard issue weaponry.

SS Army battle experience with this unit brings the conclusion that most laser weapons can pierce the defenses of this unit and cause direct damage to it, unnegated by the armor.

Defining features of this unit include its large cockpit like structure at the front, suggesting a crew, backup hover jets to balance the front of the vehicle and the "neck" connecting the chassis with the command module.

INGAME PIC HAS VOXEL ON 90% SIZE, OLD NORMALS(SMOOTHED), AND IS THE FIRST FINISHED VERSION.

VulcanTank.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.56 KB
 Viewed:  21569 Time(s)

VulcanTank.PNG

Last edited by EVA-251 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Lee
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice. Smile

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why does it have threads when it can HOVER?

Lok
Stealth Laser Trooper

Location: (StealthTank) Destroyable=no Detectable=no Explodes=yes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Movement- Hoverjet, treads when neccessary

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thats kickass Eva

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so that means there's a better verion (to come?)
it already looks sweet.

Zodiac
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool , i like it.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, thank you Smile

Alex06, Lok is correct. The treads will never see use ingame, but should a ATGM or heavy kinetic hit the primary hover-unit, the treads initiate and the auxillary hover unit would come on to balance the front of the vehicle.

I plan to see what it looks like with the new normals, as the current version lacks them.

Ever since my parents set me up a "user" account on the computer I am using, I have had loads of difficulties with most of my CNC modding tools, including SHP Builder and VXLSE III 1.2C(?)

But, I have been testing this new unit, and the Aliens' issues with defense of critical areas from air attack has been solved to a good extent. Once the Aliens get their Proton Firewall(WIP) and Array Laser Defense, they should be able to protect against air assault just as well as the EDF and the SS.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think i see gaps. the distance between dots is too big i think. if it looks good in the voxel viewer it will look crap in the game and vice-versa.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, would you be referring to the cockpit? That is not a gap, that is texturing, but I may size the vehicle down 10% more.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually no i've been looking at your other voxels and it appears all of them have been ruined by incorrect bounds. the voxel dots are too spread out from each other causing gaps to appear between the voxel dots especially on the sloping surfaces of the vehicles. apparently nobody told you about the flaw in the voxel viewer. the distance between dots that looks good in the voxel viewer is 1 but in game it should be around .7 so if you use 1 then gaps will appear in the game but .7 in the voxel viewer makes the cubes overlap each other and it looks crap but you need it that way to look good for the game.

i told stucuk to fix this problem but he didn't apparently

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow...That is quite useful, but to say the voxels are ruined seems quite extreme...

So you are saying vehicles have to look like micro-machines to avoid this?

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you made your VXLs really high resolution, then when you squeeze the voxel dots or cubes closer together, just enough to close all the gaps, then the vehicle could still be huge.

i should have maybe shown screenshots of VXLs from my program, it can output vxls with no gaps that take up about a quarter of the screen play area.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's what I was saying in my bug report post. They don't have to be micro machine size when you resize them, just a little bit. Like less than 10% I think.

@Vipr: Wouldn't that violate the size restrictions the voxel editors use(255-pixel cube)?

Now on ModDB!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

actually i think maybe they need to be 30% smaller assuming the cubes in the voxel viewer meet each other perfectly. the bounds difference needs to be about 70% of the number of voxels along that axis i think.

yah there's a limit of 255x255x255 on the voxels for the game i believe and i'm not sure how much of the screen that took even when all the gaps were closed but i remember it was so ridiculously huge that there was no way anyone had to worry that closing the gaps was gonna make the vehicles too small. of course that means you have to make the voxels very high resolution in the first place and unfortunately if you used 3ds2vxl you wouldn't have to worry about this at all.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did not 3-d Model any of them...
I have seen some of my vehicles at that 30% smaller...They really look ass-ugly, and tiny small. It practically mandates that infantry be resized, cuz the little troops would be 30ft giants compared to them.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yah you're screwed then. it's sad. someone should have told you a long time ago.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it need 5% smaller, thats enough yet barely noticeable

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well I dont think that is actually 100% true. My SS Tank used to have far far far worse problems with its holes and the voxels were of good design but no detail.

Yeah, my Sleipnir Stuff topic for SS still exists. Those show how much the mods voxels have improved since I started competently voxelling.

I am compiling a progress picture set, to show how many each unit that I have recorded images have improved...

And at this gap issue, can I not just thicken the internal layering of the vehicle? I have encountered mild success in some vehicles, like the SS tank, which has noticed a major decrease in the amount of visible gaps.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah i guess thickening would work but sounds extremely tedious.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could you PM me the voxel, i can take a look at it

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Vipr-
It is, but it is the method I have used to fix the wholes on several of my problematic tanks.

@Chielscape-
Ok, I will try to get you to that ASAP.

BTW- The original SS tank was designed on the front view, so HVA rotation was used to fix this. Yurisarmy is the one who redesigned it to face the right angle.

Havoc
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, interesting concept and its specs are good. But the cameo looks like a heavily compressed JPEG picture.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^_^, I know...My cameo skills are much improved still..

For a note, I use a Quake I and II texture editor for all my cameos. (wally)

I may have to sharpen the picture and manually enhance it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [24 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon