Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Smoothed Cubed Normalizer vs Westwood
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject:  Smoothed Cubed Normalizer vs Westwood
Subject description: Hard to detect the difference!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Straight from a secret PPM labs, today I've started to have some ideas on how to improve the Cubed AutoNormals featured on Voxel Section Editor III 1.2c. My original idea was to make a Cubed AutoNormals 2x. which would normalize it and then, normalize over the normalization. The idea failed even in the paper (the results were very distorted).

So, I've decided to investigate the traditional way of normalization + smooth and the results are excelent. To be honest, it will be very similar to what you get by doing Cubed AutoNormals + Smooth and the difference might be only few voxels in very few ocasions.

Here's some results:

smin_002.jpg
 Description:
Slave Miner with the Westwood perfect normals
 Filesize:  286.28 KB
 Viewed:  12329 Time(s)

smin_002.jpg

smin2_000.jpg
 Description:
Slave Miner with the new normals.
 Filesize:  287.02 KB

smin2_000.jpg

zep2_000.jpg
 Description:
Kirov airship with the new normals. I have yet to find the difference between this and the original Kirov from Westwood.
 Filesize:  142.25 KB

zep2_000.jpg

mad-dog9_000.jpg
 Description:
Mad Dog's front with the new normals
 Filesize:  268.97 KB

mad-dog9_000.jpg

mad-dog9_001.jpg
 Description:
Mad Dog's back with the new autonormals
 Filesize:  275.84 KB

mad-dog9_001.jpg

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bumpage!

To consider the effects of comparison, I'm following a suggestion from Stucuk and I'm posting the units above with the old Cubed Normalizer, so you guys can feel the difference.

smin3_000.jpg
 Description:
Slave Miner with the old cubed normals. The differences are minimal.
 Filesize:  272.65 KB
 Viewed:  12299 Time(s)

smin3_000.jpg

zep3_000.jpg
 Description:
Kirov with the old cubed normalizer. The normals in the front are not good, although the problem is more noticeable on VXLSE III.
 Filesize:  168.9 KB

zep3_000.jpg

mad-dog4_001.jpg
 Description:
Mad Dog's front with the old cubed normalizer. Note the curves in the head of the mech.
 Filesize:  284.8 KB

mad-dog4_001.jpg

mad-dog4_002.jpg
 Description:
Mad Dog's back with the old cubed normalizer. There are few abnormal 'turn ups' in the back.
 Filesize:  225.17 KB

mad-dog4_002.jpg

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does this mean the annoying no-1-voxel-wide-objects-rule can now be broken?

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No. Voxels can still only have one normal each. That rule will never change. Unless C&CVK writes an updated voxel format that can take more than one normal. I highly doubt it'll happen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But does this mean that the annoying stairs in the front of the Kirov will be lost forever? (if autonormalized)

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, it does. There will be no stairs in the front of Kirov with the new autonormalizer Smile.

Clarkson
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ingame? specifically of the Kirov's lack of annoyng stairs?(havent seen stock Kirov in a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.)

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy Holy Holy!!! I can't wait for this come out! excellent work Banshee!!! and Stucuk too, I suppose?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, Stucuk isn't helping me with this new version of VXLSE III.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah. I was just trying to prevent the "skirmish" that occurred before...

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yuri o07 wrote:
ah. I was just trying to prevent the "skirmish" that occurred before...

Simpler is to just say "Excelent work" and not mention any names. That way ur never wrong.

bobingabout
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: error Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its not as good as you say it is, it seems to have problems with front right(left hand when looking at the front) and and rear left(left hand looking at the back) sides.

wwan5.PNG
 Description:
Left hand side is Original Boomer Sub. Right hand side is using VXLSE III 1.32's autonormals 5.
 Filesize:  8.08 KB
 Viewed:  12060 Time(s)

wwan5.PNG

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get the same error on every voxel I try to normalize Confused

Banshee (logged out)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once my computer is functional again, I'll try to simulate the problematic parts of this boomer by hand to see what could be wrong with the normalizer..

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Pleace do? If you can fix this, your the best Smile

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just released VXLSE III 1.33, with autonormals v5.1 that makes Boomer look good.

The black things happened due to the function that returned the signal had wrong priorities, which is now fixed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum