Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am
All times are UTC + 0
Open Tiberian Sun
Moderators: Judeau
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [110 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next

Would you mod and play Tiberian Sun in 3D ?
yes
89%
 89%  [ 50 ]
no
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 56

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amd64 X2 3800+, 2gb RAM and GeForce 7800 GTX gets an avarage of 55 fps. I'm sure that frame rate from 8800 graphics card should be excelent.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't there a way to convert vxl to 3ds? (does the 3ds2vxl to both ways?) If not, If i remember correctly, Banshee was woring on something like that? #Tongue

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Amd64 X2 3800+, 2gb RAM and GeForce 7800 GTX gets an avarage of 55 fps. I'm sure that frame rate from 8800 graphics card should be excelent.

where do you count fps?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChielScape wrote:
Banshee wrote:

where do you count fps?

log.txt

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

banshee, how the hell are you getting a much worse frame rate than on my weaker machine?

and no 3ds2vxl does not convert both ways.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this should fix the problem, speed it up, AND gives you full mobility

KP_ENTER to move down, KP_PLUS to move up
normal arrows for strafing/forward

mouse + left button to look around

terrain.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  terrain.rar
 Filesize:  393.18 KB
 Downloaded:  360 Time(s)

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, dude this is ztyping insane. I love it. so what exacly will the terrain be ingame. Will we be able to move the camra around like this or will it be a fixed isometric one. Also are you using realtime voxels or 3d models?

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah glitch fixed. 230 FPS. but your controls are sadistic.

also you need to change the thing that controls how far you can see.

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, its very nice, and as log.txt reports on FPS:
seconds taken : 59.686, average / second : 58.439

IVI
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fantastic Shocked !! although, the way I see it, all the SHP buildings and SHP graphics we've done through the times will be useless and unuseable in this new 3d engine for TS Sad . but that doesn't affect my hopes that this new engine will be finished and be applied effectively. Very Happy

Idea perhaps we can convert the 2d SHPs into sprites? kinda what half life does with flame effects?? or if this ever gets implemented we'd have to create everything in 3d (IOW, modernize)? Question

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IVI wrote:
fantastic Shocked !! although, the way I see it, all the SHP buildings and SHP graphics we've done through the times will be useless and unuseable in this new 3d engine for TS Sad . but that doesn't affect my hopes that this new engine will be finished and be applied effectively. Very Happy

Idea perhaps we can convert the 2d SHPs into sprites? kinda what half life does with flame effects?? or if this ever gets implemented we'd have to create everything in 3d (IOW, modernize)? Question

yes, we do have to convert everything to 3d. gangster and holy master already have joined

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well if you followed my advice all the SHPs and VXLs that you guys made will have been converted from 3d models so you should already have nice source artwork to use for a 3d engine.

i would like to also add that even though judeau has decided not to make this a next-gen 3d engine. this does not mean that you have to make your 3d artwork old-gen. there is converter software to generate old-gen art assets from next-gen art-assets. that way you will also have nice ready-made source art assets to use for the next engine after this current Judeau engine. that engine is already being developed by someone else since Judeau doesn't want to develop it yet.

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bottom bar- I think stuff like positions of GUI should be customizable.
Frustum culling? How do you do this? Do you split the terrain into sections?
Cull against frustum (6 planes) or against frustum sphere, cone? Are culled things defined by boxes, spheres?
I can't test it yet, I'll give you my FPS later.
I recommend spheres for culling. Much faster for me, altough not so much stuff culled.
Also, if you're gonna have RTS camera, culling with just 3 planes could be effective (didn't try it)-upper,left,right- left and right meet just a bit behind you, upper one meets ground.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad at all because it's getting better all the time, great job Judeau!

My FPS:
seconds taken : 71.604, average / second : 58.921

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why is the colormap flat grey? and why is my FPS better than everyone's by far even though i have like the oldest equipment? and why did you give out your source code for this?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kiith-Sa wrote:
Bottom bar- I think stuff like positions of GUI should be customizable.
Frustum culling? How do you do this? Do you split the terrain into sections?
Cull against frustum (6 planes) or against frustum sphere, cone? Are culled things defined by boxes, spheres?
I can't test it yet, I'll give you my FPS later.
I recommend spheres for culling. Much faster for me, altough not so much stuff culled.
Also, if you're gonna have RTS camera, culling with just 3 planes could be effective (didn't try it)-upper,left,right- left and right meet just a bit behind you, upper one meets ground.

culling spheres against the six planes, terrain is subdivided into 32x32 pieces

ViPr wrote:
why is the colormap flat grey? and why is my FPS better than everyone's by far even though i have like the oldest equipment? and why did you give out your source code for this?

because the colormap is a placeholder , if you looked at the sky or w/e , or were close to an edge, your FPS would speed u significantly due to the culling, and i post the source because it IS TS : OPEN

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:

err, wasnt this software rendered BTW,
if my 8800 GTX would increase performance, i wouldve gotten more than 60FPS, which seems more like it fits with my P4 3.0Ghz.
if i get mah new system in a few weeks (hopefully earlier)
ill test it on an E6420 maybe at stock first, but probably only at about 3.5ghz (my goal).

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChielScape wrote:
Banshee wrote:

err, wasnt this software rendered BTW,
if my 8800 GTX would increase performance, i wouldve gotten more than 60FPS, which seems more like it fits with my P4 3.0Ghz.
if i get mah new system in a few weeks (hopefully earlier)
ill test it on an E6420 maybe at stock first, but probably only at about 3.5ghz (my goal).

3d rendered, banshee's graphics card is bound to his refresh rate, so he doesn't go faster than what's needed.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, any way to unlock this?

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you guys probably have v-sync enabled or something.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChielScape wrote:
ah, any way to unlock this?

driver config util ?

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Catalyst/ForceWare. Sometimes even "application controlled" forces OpenGL vsync, so set it to "always off". Also, you can find many other settings there to improve your general 3D performance. If ForceWare/Catalyst is not enough, download Omega on top of it (no guarantees, though, Omega sometimes messes up and you need to reinstall drivers then), and/or ATI Tray Tools (ATI only of course).
I have AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice, 2.0 Ghz), 512 MB DRR I and Radeon X1600 Pro with 512 MB GDDR II. Vsync disabled.

06/04/07, 18:41:50 : done initializing, seconds taken : 0.318
06/04/07, 18:42:36 : done 12466 frames , seconds taken : 46.005, average / second : 270.971

BTW, Judeau, your frustum culling code is copypasted from the same source as mine.#Tongue If you find any way to get bounding sphere (or just center) or cone of the frustum, tell me, I'm sure this code can be replaced by something much more effective.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah.
average / second : 314.477
(8800GTX, Pentium 4 630 HT, 1GB DDR-400)

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kiith-Sa wrote:
Catalyst/ForceWare. Sometimes even "application controlled" forces OpenGL vsync, so set it to "always off". Also, you can find many other settings there to improve your general 3D performance. If ForceWare/Catalyst is not enough, download Omega on top of it (no guarantees, though, Omega sometimes messes up and you need to reinstall drivers then), and/or ATI Tray Tools (ATI only of course).
I have AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice, 2.0 Ghz), 512 MB DRR I and Radeon X1600 Pro with 512 MB GDDR II. Vsync disabled.

06/04/07, 18:41:50 : done initializing, seconds taken : 0.318
06/04/07, 18:42:36 : done 12466 frames , seconds taken : 46.005, average / second : 270.971

BTW, Judeau, your frustum culling code is copypasted from the same source as mine.#Tongue If you find any way to get bounding sphere (or just center) or cone of the frustum, tell me, I'm sure this code can be replaced by something much more effective.

care to explain yourself ?

bounding sphere of a frustum ?, cone of the frustum ?
aren't those LESS effective ?

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's faster to compare to a sphere than to 6 planes. I've also read some about cone, altough I'm not sure. Sphere doesn't miss so many objects the frustum culls, and can be more effective especially if you have huge maps with tons of objects. Another possibility is to sphere-check, and ones in sphere frustum-check (sometimes can get further speedup).
Also, if you use sphere, you should not need to extract all those planes every frame/camera posrotsize change.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kiith-Sa wrote:
It's faster to compare to a sphere than to 6 planes. I've also read some about cone, altough I'm not sure. Sphere doesn't miss so many objects the frustum culls, and can be more effective especially if you have huge maps with tons of objects. Another possibility is to sphere-check, and ones in sphere frustum-check (sometimes can get further speedup).
Also, if you use sphere, you should not need to extract all those planes every frame/camera posrotsize change.

but wouldn't you get all kinds of stuff behind you ?

if this was pure RTS view, i suppose sphere would be faster, but as i said, i intend to make units controllable by players, and extracting all the planes is a pretty cheap operation #Tongue( if done once per frame )

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChielScape wrote:
ah.

that isn't much faster than my old graphic card. i guess we won't notice much difference unless the program is using lots of shader processing.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

new version, i've been working on some features, like dynamic lighting, and level of detail for the terrain

light test is going well, level of detail is performing as expected, also modified frustum culling routine, and perspective.

LOD causes cracks to appear in the terrain in seams between tiles, i know

terrain.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  397.17 KB
 Downloaded:  352 Time(s)

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah that's why doing LOD on terrain is so tricky.

btw i decided to test the frame rate now without moving the camera at all. the rest of you make sure you do the same in case you haven't.

anyway i got around 356 FPS.

btw judeau please change the near far planes thing, i think it is, so that we can see all the terrain.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He can't change it because his machine can't handle it.

On my machine here at work I got 708 fps on the first test, and 739 fps on the second test. Second test had more lights, both moving the camera.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ViPr wrote:
ChielScape wrote:
ah.

that isn't much faster than my old graphic card. i guess we won't notice much difference unless the program is using lots of shader processing.

larger differences will probably bee seen when the cards are stressed more.
larger polycount, larger textures, and as you mentioned heavier use of shaders.
like i said though, a P4 really bottlenecks an 8k8, and the E6420, will probably increase performance significantly. not to mention the motherboard chipset upgrade from intel 915 (ASUS P5GDC Pro) to 965 (ASUS Commando)

Icy, what CPU do you have? dual core by any chance?

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ and an ATI Radeon X1300 Pro PCI-E

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great. Is light count on-screen still gonna be limited by 8?
BTW, The LOD switching is way too aggressive imo. Switch a little further.

Runs:
03/27/07, 18:49:45 : done initializing, seconds taken : 0.277
03/27/07, 18:50:50 : done 5458 frames , seconds taken : 64.874, average / second : 84.132

on netcafe Athlon XP 2000+, GF 4 MX 420 (no idea what RAM is)

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wtf are you talking about. there's about 3 lights.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried compiling on Linux and it won't accept these two switches: -lopengl32 -lglu32.

Code:
gcc -o tsopen main.o IO.o SDL.o math.o opengl.o terrain.o -s -Wall -O3 -funsigned-char -DLOG -lSDLmain -lSDL -lSDL_image -lSDL_mixer -lopengl32 -lglu32
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lopengl32
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Without them it doesn't work and spits out lots of OpenGL-related errors. Don't suppose you have any ideas, do you?

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kiith-Sa wrote:
Looks great. Is light count on-screen still gonna be limited by 8?
BTW, The LOD switching is way too aggressive imo. Switch a little further.

Runs:
03/27/07, 18:49:45 : done initializing, seconds taken : 0.277
03/27/07, 18:50:50 : done 5458 frames , seconds taken : 64.874, average / second : 84.132

on netcafe Athlon XP 2000+, GF 4 MX 420 (no idea what RAM is)

i guess that would be 256MB, since i have the same thing, except the 420 is a 440. i only use it to watch anime and play music now though

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ViPr wrote:
wtf are you talking about. there's about 3 lights.

I get special builds from Judeau, got a problem with that?

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most 3d cards have limitation to 8 lights being processed at the same time.
You can overcome this by sw/shader lights.
I think Judeau turns on/off the visible/invisible lights to allow a lot of lights on the map. So I want to know if he is still limited by this. (too lazy to read source now #Tongue)

BTW, Judeau, are you planning texturing? I think it might be pain in the ass for terrain with LODs.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is awsome Surprised I have tested it, and the controls are good to go! but ragen drawed needs to be longer Wink Very good!

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kiith-Sa wrote:
Most 3d cards have limitation to 8 lights being processed at the same time.
You can overcome this by sw/shader lights.
I think Judeau turns on/off the visible/invisible lights to allow a lot of lights on the map. So I want to know if he is still limited by this. (too lazy to read source now #Tongue)

BTW, Judeau, are you planning texturing? I think it might be pain in the ass for terrain with LODs.

texturing isn't a problem, and, it seems, my wonderful little method of switching lights on and off fails, still limited to 8 lights, so, i'll be using lightmaps for terrain.

i'm also thinking about just using geomorphing on the visible sectors of terrain, perhaps it'll cost a wee little CPU power, but i think it'll pave the way nicely for dynamic terrain.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to kill the happy feel right now, but I tested with some color on the colormap.png, ang the texture didin't look good at all! It got blury and awfull Confused I nkow this is a beta, but I think you should know Wink Oh, and after some testing, I think this rocks even more! The hightmap works as I want it to! Really good work!

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dupl3xxx wrote:
Sorry to kill the happy feel right now, but I tested with some color on the colormap.png, ang the texture didin't look good at all! It got blury and awfull Confused I nkow this is a beta, but I think you should know Wink Oh, and after some testing, I think this rocks even more! The hightmap works as I want it to! Really good work!

the colormap is pretty much a placeholder

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hehe, ok then Wink Hope it gets better #Tongue

shinji
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks cool Very Happy kud u post some screenies Question

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, i could, once home, ewither way, disabled terrain LOD, view distance doubled, fog implemented, and scale sized up

use KP_INS and KP_DEL to switch between wireframe and normal view

terrain.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  723.66 KB
 Downloaded:  365 Time(s)

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

something is screwy in this version; the terrain seems to get lighter and darker depending on what direction i'm looking. plus the fog lets me see further when i look diagonally at things coz the distance is the perpendicular distance to the camera plane instead of the distance to the camera point. i've seen that mistake in many games. plus i still want to see the entire terrain. can you make the view distance configurable?

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ViPr wrote:
something is screwy in this version; the terrain seems to get lighter and darker depending on what direction i'm looking. plus the fog lets me see further when i look diagonally at things coz the distance is the perpendicular distance to the camera plane instead of the distance to the camera point. i've seen that mistake in many games. plus i still want to see the entire terrain. can you make the view distance configurable?

that's how opengl fog works
and, yes, the lighting is screwy, blasted thing refuses to remain static

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also, banshee has created a TSO subforum, look under pre-alpha

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Moved to the new forum just to keep everything together.

Kiith-Sa
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems to be much better (and it seems to be fast as the LOD version)
On the same netcafe computer:

03/29/07, 18:19:05 : done initializing, seconds taken : 1.014
03/29/07, 18:19:57 : done 4223 frames , seconds taken : 52.593, average / second : 80.296

Are you scrapping terrain LOD forever or only until you get it right?

What about making your own shader fog for GPUs that support it?
It should be faster+look better that way.
Anyway, it's not that important. Most RTS's do exactly the same and can blend fog colour with enviroment nicely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 3 [110 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon