Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
XCC mixing 101
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject:  XCC mixing 101 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Under request of Biohazard, I put this together. It covers the most basic functions of the XCC mixer, and XCC editor.

XCC mixer:

1. in the left column in XCC mixer, you can browse through your computer, just like in Windows Explorer. You can either hit Backspace, or the ".." to go back in your search.
You can use this to open any Westwood mix file, as if it was an ordinary folder, just select it and it'll open. "TIBSUN.MIX" holds pretty much all of TS's files.

2. The easiest way to extract a file is to right click on it. You'll get several options on what you can do wit this file.

3. Click "Extract.." to get the 'save as' window.

4. it will make a copy of your file in the directory you specify. For myself, I made a separate folder called 'Extracted' where I extract stuff to, this helps to organize all the stuff I've extracted.

----------------------------------------

XCC Mix Editor

Open XCC Mix editor. It'll take you to a blank table. Hit "New" to get started. It'll give you a 'save as' window, asking yo where you want to put the mix, and what you want its name to be. The name is VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! it tells the game to read the files inside.

Put all your shp in "ecache##.mix"
pretty much everything else goes in "expand##.mix"

## means any two digit number between 02 -99. Do NOT use 01 because that's what the firestorm expansion uses.
Anything in these mixes will override other files with the same name.
For example, if you make a new voxel called bggy.vxl, it will OVERRIDE Tiberian Sun's Nod buggy (bggy.vxl) and display your new voxel as the Nod buggy instead.

I want to put voxels in this mix, so I'm calling it "expand09"

Adding stuff:

1. Simply select the files you want to add, click & drag them into the Mix Editor box.

2. when you put everything in that you want to put in the mix, remember to click SAVE, or else it won't save. Yeah, i forget this too sometimes Rolling Eyes

3. After you save, I like to hit "Compact". It's not always necessary, but it's always good to do.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Modding #TiberianDawn #RedAlert1 #TiberianSun #Firestorm #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #OpenRA #XCCUtilities 

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aye - people have informed me that XCC mix editor isn't neccesary (I've been doing it the hard way all this time Rolling Eyes )

XCC mixer does all that - just drag and drop like you would in Windows Explorer

The Team Black Index

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BS!
Mix editor forever!

I like it...

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe soon a windows explorer integration?

OVERKILL
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been overlooking this topic multiple times and i see that you have expandxx.mix i cannot find mine? why is this ?

Last edited by OVERKILL on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total

OVERKILL
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been overlooking this topic multiple times and i see that you have expandxx.mix i cannot find mine? why is this ?

untitled.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.54 KB
 Viewed:  36785 Time(s)

untitled.JPG

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You make one youself...

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need XCC Mix Editor to create your files; XCC Mixer is for viewing mixes and extracting things from them Wink

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nope, XCC can make new mix files, XCC Mix Editor is not needed.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, I'll have to remake this tutorial someday excluding Mix Editor..
although, I'm not sure if there is a 'compress' feature in the mixer like in the editor, is there?

The Team Black Index

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dont need it, it automatically does it.

OVERKILL
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i wanted to say thanks to gufu and Team Black i finally figured it out, and now it works perfectly fine. All i did was use mix editor and made a new expand01.mix file and from their i just added my voxels and hva's and just compact and close, it automatically saved the files and put them into tiberian sun, and for me it works great so thanks again to gufu and Team Black, on a side note this is helping me out alot with my first detailed mod so iam taking my time and patience to do this correctly, and all i can say for now is their is 3 sides and maybe a fourth.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't use Expand01.mix, that is already used by FireStorm. Rename it to Expand02.mix or another two digit number higher than one.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TSHyper wrote:
Nope, XCC can make new mix files, XCC Mix Editor is not needed.

Ow, I didn't know that. Thanks for telling Smile As you see, you learn something new every day Wink

OVERKILL
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:
Don't use Expand01.mix, that is already used by FireStorm. Rename it to Expand02.mix or another two digit number higher than one.

Yes you are correct and i appreciate it very much but for now my mod is just for tiberian sun, the reason for this is because i want to have a sequal to which it will involve firestorm, but i will not discuss that topic here so for now thank you everyone for helping, it is all ways good to have a lending hand Smile

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

XCC Mix Editor is essential for compacting big mixfiles after editing... XCC Mixer tends to be quite wasteful with space. I think this problem is usually caused by XCC Mixer only removing the mix index references to removed files, rather than REALLY removing them.

For example... the RA1 main.mix file in the First Decade pack, made with XCC Mixer, is 1.23 GB. If you open it in XCC Mix editor and press Compact it's reduced to about 870 MB.

oh, also, bulk extracting and stuff is way easier like this:

(this also works with the normal "Copy", for extracting files. You can select multiple files for these operations.)

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's funny Nyerguds how many users don't know how XCC Mixer *really* works. Pretty sad actually...

Last edited by IcySon55 on Sat May 10, 2008 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Allied General
General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 get off your elitism issues and actually post something constructive if your gonna reply, thats something even noobs are taught Rolling Eyes

At least it isn't someone asking how to use tibed and having a tutorial for the most basic things at least reduces the probability of useless how do I use xcc mixer posts.

Even Nyerguds who game hacks, hex hacks has a more mature attitude then you.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You realize I don't care what you think right?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Allied General
General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My point which was a post to everyone (yes Icyson its not just about you) in general but using your post as a example, is how your so called elitism, snide remarks aren't amusing but rather pathetic and not useful, its like gufu random posts.

Your comment could have been done on msn, pm and yes its a Internet forum so I don't really care if you care.

Also the only reason I disagree with your post here is because tutorials are for new modders who are actually willing to learn but have no idea how to use the tools given and want to be taught.

Its like giving a surgeons tools to a trainee surgeon who is still studying.

On the other hand the numerous noobs on PPM posting stupid questions, mod announcements, etc are like kids who have been given a gun.

Finally there are some features in XCC Mixer which only a few users will ever touch.

Mig Eater wrote:
XCC Mixer has the ability to convert PCX images to vxl files, so really you can use a lot of programs to make voxels, even paint…

I’m not surprised you don’t know about it tho, only a few do & it’s mostly just used for doing skinning quickly, I’m about the only one that makes voxels from scratch this way

Finally 1.45 is rather buggy at best (its crashes when carrying out certain functions and support for other games for which you won't need.

So for something which is smaller, faster and quicker to install (no annoying installer, just delete files) try

http://esource.freedomstudios.net/misc/xcc.zip

Unzip it into a folder, call it say MOD, run xcc mixer and then just use right click - copy and the files will be directly copied to this folder and thus you won't need to use extract.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allied General wrote:
Also the only reason I disagree with your post here is because tutorials are for new modders who are actually willing to learn but have no idea how to use the tools given and want to be taught.

Did you learn XCC Mixer from a tutorial? Probably not, there weren't many useful ones around the time we started modding. I learned XCC by simply using it on my own. So my statement still stands, that it's sad that the new modders are incapable of figuring something out without full blown over-detailed tutorials.

What I posted was somewhere along the lines of what DCoder might post and/or think. I don't see you attacking his posts.

Last edited by IcySon55 on Sat May 10, 2008 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
Allied General wrote:

Did you learn XCC Mixer from a tutorial? Probably not, there weren't many useful ones around the time we started modding. I learned XCC by simply using it on my own. So my statement still stands, that it's sad that the new modders are incapable of figuring something out without full blown over-detailed tutorials.

QFT, same here. in fact, even though i stopped, i learned modding in general this way. and IMHO, someone who doesnt have the brain to figure stuff like that out, doesnt deserve to mod, as he wont be able to produce anything worth looking at anyway.

Street
Combat Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be fair Id have to agree that the XCC Mixer is incredibly easy to use, I worked out how to use it in under 10 minutes after getting it. But I suppose I also have to agree that if someone asked for a tutorial on it, it is nice to post one and not just say, go work it out yourself.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
QFT, same here. in fact, even though i stopped, i learned modding in general this way. and IMHO, someone who doesnt have the brain to figure stuff like that out, doesnt deserve to mod, as he wont be able to produce anything worth looking at anyway.

On question to see whether I agree with this statement or not. Is any of the stuff I've done worth looking at?

And yes, I worked it out myself too, however I gave it to a fried and he repeatedly asked how you use it for quite a while until he figured it out.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well no need to reinvent the wheel.

At least the question being asked related to a common TS/RA2/YR modding tool and not something mind numbingly easy and not mention make you worse at modding such as TibEd.

To be fair I am shocked as to why the person asking didn't go to http://xhp.xwis.net/ and just check the section saying Guide: Using XCC Mixer cos afaik I used that in the very beginning but then again maybe many new modders are unused to the tools.

The posts I hate are spoon fed threads where people ask code my ai or a list of questions without trying e.g. showing sample code.

Since this is a tutorial thread though, I expect more useful, constructive comments to be posted here unless the tutorial is bug ridden/useless.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The tutorial basically says what anyone with half a brain can figure out in 10 minutes of messing around with XCC... so I don't think Icy's remark is that odd.

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lt Albrecht wrote:
Quote:

On question to see whether I agree with this statement or not. Is any of the stuff I've done worth looking at?

And yes, I worked it out myself too, however I gave it to a fried and he repeatedly asked how you use it for quite a while until he figured it out.

yes, your stuff is far from bad. Very Happy

HB
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kind of interresting reading this pros and cons about tooling and modding.
It seems to me that you guys mixing serveral topics:
-how easy it is to handle XCC
-how to learn modding
-and the use of tutorials in general.
I have to admit I'm a beginner in modding even though I learned to handle XCC very fast.
But with the rest (how to understand the ini files, etc.) I think tutorials are the core for people who what to learn. And by the way: how much time can you invest in modding ? I still have other responsibilies besides so I'm very thankfull for every good tutorial that helps to understand and learn more.

Juggernaut
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How come I don't have the rules.ini file in my TIBSUN.MIX ?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i don't know about TS, but in YR and RA2, the rules were in the local.mix

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in TS too. Look in local.mix

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TIBSUN.MIX > LOCAL.MIX > Rules.INI

=3

All of the voxels in regular TS are also in the LOCAL.MIX, but the SHPs of units are in CONQUER.MIX, while the buildings are in the TEMPERATE.MIX and SNOW.MIX, but you can find their build ups and the cameos in CONQUER.MIX.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon