Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Normals test
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Witch one is the best?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
8.0 Range 6
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
28%
 28%  [ 6 ]
42%
 42%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 21

Gaffel
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:  Normals test Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

N 5.6.PNG
 Description:
Normals 5.6
 Filesize:  113.5 KB
 Viewed:  20609 Time(s)

N 5.6.PNG

N 7.1.PNG
 Description:
Normals 7.1
 Filesize:  126.51 KB

N 7.1.PNG

N 8 R6.PNG
 Description:
Normals 8.0 RA2Range 6
 Filesize:  82.71 KB

N 8 R6.PNG

N 8.0.png
 Description:
Normals 8.0
 Filesize:  108.85 KB

N 8.0.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Range 6 is kinda high for Normals 8.0, making it too much smooth. For normals 8.0, I suggest you to use range 2, 3 or RA2 (3.69). Less than that is horrible. More than 5 is usually twisted.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think AN 5.6 with 5range and smooth on, is BEST! Ant to banshee, AN 8 is BAD! tested it on a 10x10x10 cube, it hurt my eyes Sad And AN 5.6 with 5range bets the h3ll out of AN 8 with RA2 range... I don't know what can be done, sorry...

Gaffel
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I compared two others.
btw what do you think about this unit?

AN 5.6 R6.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.88 KB
 Viewed:  20537 Time(s)

AN 5.6 R6.PNG

AN 3DS2VXL.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.81 KB
 Viewed:  20537 Time(s)

AN 3DS2VXL.PNG

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks realistic compared to everything else there. to realistic...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AN 5.6 is a way too much smoothed. AN 7.1 fools your eyes. The lighting angles are wrong, but the result is consistent. AN 8.0 is better used with range 2. The results are more realistic, but there are some chances of the oposite normal be choosen, which makes you see a black dot instead of the correct normal. I'll try to work in a way to reduce this problem...

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL, now that's a mean looking über smooth tank Laughing

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why does it look like the light is in the wrong direction on that tank?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In which picture?

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

both the last 2. the light looks like it's from bottom right when it is supposed to be from bottom left.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys. I managed to track some bugs in the ray casting part of AN 8.0 and the results were heavly improved in my end. I should commit the changes soon to the SVN.

Update: You can download it HERE.

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is one of my old tanks with AN 8.1 at range 2 ( Banshee's fix applied )

I'm happy with the result, and the brightness on the sides is likely due to me using to light of a color..

AN 8.1 range 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  270.21 KB
 Viewed:  20457 Time(s)

AN 8.1 range 2.png

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now, when I download it, it's not a file, it's just vxlse_III, without an extension, like *.exe or *.dll...

Oh, and here's a preview of why this fix is MUCH needed:

At this one, I think AN 1.1 looks most like the original, but AN 1.1 looks Sad ingame

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The file is vxlse_III.exe. However, your windows may hide known extensions.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hehe, now that would not be the most impressive done by vista yet Rolling Eyes I now need the vista disc to be able to start Laughing Am I just going to replace the file or? Did try replace, but it gave me an "This file is not a valid Win-32 program"

Am I doeing something waay wrong, or is just vista being a bad witch?

EDIT: Also, the new file is ~100KB and VSE III .37 is ~1700KB Don't tel me you only complied the new AN 8.1, not the rest Laughing

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your download failed very early and is corrupted. Download it again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see, opera didn't like it :'( But there is always IE7 at the back of the bus Laughing

EDIT: It's better, but I'll still use 7.1 and 5.6
AN 8.1 is very good at some points, but overall, meh Confused

I don't know, I havent got the time to test every single on ingame, but VSE gives some "good" signs...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Autonormals 8.1 has been improved today.

It's faster, use less RAM and the result is even better. It has wiped almost all black dots.

You can grab it HERE.

(just replace your vxlse_III.exe with this one)

And I'll still improve the auto normals with a special feature in the next days.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ohh, I cann't wait!

But the normals is still "dead"
Look:

The "old" AN looks alive, curved and nice, but the new 8.1(8.1.3?) looks flat and dead. It's like AN 1.1. with more angels, dead and flat...

I wounder how fast it can normalize in the next version? 0.000000000000001ms :p

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Smooth normals doesn't mean that it is good. In fact, it is bad, because it doesn't detect the borders correctly. Good normals are smooth when it needs to be smooth and detect the borders in a proper way, which AN 5.6 doesn't do. I'm improving the border detection ability, while the smoothness can still be reached with a higher range.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry the bump, but this is important! If you run ctrl+q you will get very good normals in an 8.1 but many of you know hollow voxels looks bad ingame Rolling Eyes

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I wonder,if it wouldn't be possible to make better normals using mixes of normals.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, if you grab the latest SVN revision of the program, you'll notice some improvements with the Tangent Plane Autonormals (8.3)
http://svn.ppmsite.com/filedetails.php?repname=OS%20Voxel%20Tools&path=%2Fvxlseiii14x%2Fvxlse_III.exe&rev=0&sc=0

First of all, it is much faster now, since it no longer normalizes voxels that are inside the volume. The second thing is that it no longer normalizes 1 pixel walls or lone pixels, which are mathematically impossible to normalize. So, you'll notice a fake feeling that the normals are better or not at these regions. There is also some little improvements when dealing with other special cases, which really improves the final quality of the normals. Check it out and have fun.

During my tests, they've got excellent results for everything, from Kirov, passing through some awesome cruisers to Duplexx's challenging voxels.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1201>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1203>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1204>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1205>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1206>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1207>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <8029>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1033>

Cursor Error
Error Cursor Missing <1201>

Files Missing
Files Missing Load Aborted

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errr... you need to install that executable over a VXLSE install. Otherwise, it won't work.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Neutral D'oh!

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New EXE crashed my PC, and 3d view doesn't work correctly...

MT
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you oh so very much Razz

The old normals kept producing on my voxels either 1-black spots, or 2-weired-shaped patchs on the flat surfaces.
I really hope these auto normalizers are better!

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Normals=good
Bugs=Bad
It caused my PC to restart for no reason and I had to disable then re-enable the 3d window to get it to work each time...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is something I forgot to say: I'm using windows xp 64 bits to develop it. I'm not sure if it is compiling with 32 bits or 64 bits... :S.Considering what you said, I'm not surprised if this is a 64bits thing. I'll try to figure out how to compile in 32 bits here.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
There is something I forgot to say: I'm using windows xp 64 bits to develop it. I'm not sure if it is compiling with 32 bits or 64 bits... :S.Considering what you said, I'm not surprised if this is a 64bits thing. I'll try to figure out how to compile in 32 bits here.

Not possible. If you compiled it in 64 bit mode, he wouldn't be able to run it at all! Windows would not recognize it as a Win32 executable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well it works for me. Vista.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, just checked Delphi help files and FAQ and my Delphi really compiles in 32 bits. What happened to Lt Albretch's computer is beyond my scope.

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're kidding me right? Just downloaded this now and the Normals are nothing better IMO. I'll let the pics tell the story.

F22RS_5.6.gif
 Description:
AN 5.6 still wins IMO. [smooth=6]
[Range=RA2]
 Filesize:  690.32 KB
 Viewed:  16955 Time(s)

F22RS_5.6.gif

F22RS_RA2.gif
 Description:
Your Tangent plane Normals at Range 6 [RA2] This one looks better compared to the TS one. I see no improvement compared to the last version IMO.
 Filesize:  782.55 KB
 Viewed:  16961 Time(s)

F22RS_RA2.gif

F22RS_000.gif
 Description:
My uber handpainted Normals [TS]
 Filesize:  921.29 KB
 Viewed:  16963 Time(s)

F22RS_000.gif

F22RS_001.gif
 Description:
Your Tangent plane Normals at Range 6 [TS] ugh...this has to be a joke
 Filesize:  866.2 KB
 Viewed:  16963 Time(s)

F22RS_001.gif

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've improved the thing once again. Click in the link of the post above to grab it.

Banshee wrote:
More improvements on auto normals. For those wondering why I'm working so much on it. I've noticed that tangent planes failed with 1, 2 pixels wide surfaces. You cannot generate a tangent plane with only one pixel. And a tangent plane with two pixels is hardly reliable. So, for these cases, the tangent plane mode is now using the Cubed Normalizer method, which works very well in these situations and awful on bigger scenes. I'm still trying to figure out a nice way to mix both of them to get the best scene on every case.

MT
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, the best of both good normalizers Smile .
One step closer to the "perfect autonormals".

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum