Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Dune 2 eXtended Project
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [62 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:  Dune 2 eXtended Project
Subject description: Previously known as Super Dune II Second Edition
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dune 2 eXtended is a spin-off of the Dune II mod, Super Dune 2. Just like SD2, Dune 2 eXtended allows to command the "new" factions: the Mercenaries, the Fremen and the Sardaukar.

The mod is aimed at providing lots of new content from new graphics to a completely new storyline stretching across 3 campaigns. The ultimate goal of the project is to fully exploit the abilities of Dune II, and make a game that is enjoyable and challenging to play.

I have already done the following things:

• new title screen
  • new side selection screen
  • new animated Mentats for Fremen and Sardaukar
  • new player ranking system that uses the actual rank names from the books, instead of all those "desert mongooses" and the like
  • new Mentat database descriptions
  • modified tech trees and new units
  • harder AI
  • a fully playable Demo campaign
  • everything is neatly packed in PAK archives that won't overwrite any of the original Dune II files

Check the screenshots below for some visuals Smile

Special thanks
I'd like to thank the following people who helped me a lot with project development (in alphabetical order):

Thanks guys! Very Happy

Also, visit the Dune 2 eXtended Project Thread, there's some interesting discussion there.

If you're interested in giving Dune II modding a try yourself, these topics are worth looking at:
List of Dune II Editing Tools
[Dune 2] Dune II editor with 1.07 support
[Dune 2] EXE editing & programming issues
[Dune 2] Hex Editing Collection on EXE
[Dune 2] Editing .SHP and .ENG files
[Dune 2] A handy scenario editor for Windows  
[Dune 2] Scenario editing questions
[Dune 2] Scenario [MAP] 'hidden' feature
[Dune 2] DuneMaps v.64 Released
[Dune 2] Map format for Dune II remakes

DuneXSavegames.rar
 Description:
Saved games for all levels in all campaigns.

Download
 Filename:  DuneXSavegames.rar
 Filesize:  45.95 KB
 Downloaded:  2440 Time(s)

DUNEX129.ZIP
 Description:
The latest version of DuneX, created by drnovice. Check the Readme file inside the package for installation instructions.

Download
 Filename:  DUNEX129.ZIP
 Filesize:  693.31 KB
 Downloaded:  5288 Time(s)

Last edited by MrFlibble on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 56 times in total

bobingabout
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

since i havn't tried to mod the game, i'm probably just being stupid, but...

could the build errors be fixed if you replaced the original 3 sides with the new 3, then added the original 3 as extras? might also solve things like tech tree and endings too...

considering you've been adding new missions and everything, it sounds like a lot of work.

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that's a mod for an old game ROFL! I didn't know you could mod so old games! Great if you'll get it to work :p

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow i can san that this is indeed a game just before my time, I am supprised to say the least that this has surfaced and good luck with it all.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If I remember correctly I've played this mod very long time ago and it was nice :p

Oshog
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool Smile Modding a 15 year old game is just the thing I needed today. Thanks mate!

BTW, I didn't know you were Russian? Very Happy

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold wrote:
If I remember correctly I've played this mod very long time ago and it was nice :p

so did i...

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys. Thanks for your replies Smile I've been quite busy with other matters lately, so my work on the mod has slowed down significantly.

bobingabout wrote:
could the build errors be fixed if you replaced the original 3 sides with the new 3, then added the original 3 as extras? might also solve things like tech tree and endings too...

I have considered this course of actions but it has more cons than pros to it. Surely I can rename Mercenaries into Ordos etc., and also I can change the sound files so that the Mentat will say, "Mercenary unit approaching" instead of "Ordos unit...", etc. etc. This is indeed more or less easily doable (of course it will take some time to edit a dozen or so strings in Dune.eng, and some other stuff as well). However, the only way to change team colors (so that the original Ordos are now yellow and the Mercenaries are green) is by editing the executable, i.e. finding that part of the code which corresponds to House team colors and changing it.

Also, when you select a unit in the game, there's a message in the info box saying, for example, "Atreides Soldier". Well, the House name there is taken directly from the executable rather than from the Dune.eng string file, so changing House names would be problematic since their length is different.

I'm not even talking about the Mentat animations which will be cumbersome to change as well, because the sprites corresponding to the eyes, mouth and so on have fixed positions on the screen (whereas the new sides' Mentats don't, which made my job doing the facial animations easier), so even flipping Cyril with Ammon would already be a problem, to say nothing about adding completely new animations.

So it seems that whatever I do, executable editing is called for. Unfortunatley I'm not in shape to handle such a task, since my knowledge of programming, decompiling and debugging is minimal. Therefore if anyone has enough skills, enthusiasm and free time to give it a try, I'd deeply appreciate that.

Cheers,
MrFlibble

Bako'Ikaporamee
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like what you've done so far with this mod! I'd really love to help you but I have about as much programming skills as you do #Tongue. It's good to see a game as old as I am being modded XD. Finally read 3 of the books(my library has em all Smile). Oh and why mercs instead of the smugglers or something? Anyhoo good job so far!

Oh, fuggerbuggerrit!

Ultraq
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yo MrFlibble,

It's been a while, but I haven't forgotten your request to allow for the creation of those Dune 2 SHPs with multiple images in them. I've updated my conversion utility to allow for this, but I haven't been able to give it a really good test.

Details for the latest version are in the same thread: http://cnc-tech.planetcnc.gamespy.com/index.php?showtopic=3699

You'll probably be looking at using the new mpng2shpd2 (multiple PNG -> Dune 2 SHP) batch file. Usage instructions included in the program aren't the best, but basically if you want to turn several PNG files into a Dune 2 SHP, you have to name them the same, except for a 3-digit number included at the end of the filename, eg:
image000.png
image001.png
image002.png

Then use "image.png" (minus quotes) as the source file name. I think you'll be able to figure it out once you give it a try. Hopefully this should give you the ability to create those Dune 2 SHP files which have multiple images of different dimensions in them.

As always, feel free to reply to that CNC-Tech forum thread to tell me about problems/suggestions for the tool.

(I've also posted this to your D2K forum thread).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Siberian GRemlin
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ultraq, goodwork!

Westwood Studios forever!

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great news! Although I don't have enough time to test it right now, I'll do that when an opportunity presents itself Smile

Cheers!

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: A Tiny GFX Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've edited the mentat images a little, I think they look better now. Screenshots:

Still looking for someone to help me out with bugs and other issues that include coding/debugging/hacking skills.

Bako'Ikaporamee
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, it's nice to see an update too Smile

Oh, fuggerbuggerrit!

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: New Super Dune II Second Edition Demo Released Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I released a new demo today (attached to the first post of this thread). It shows most of the currently present features, and you can play the entire campaigns, although most missions are "placeholders" taken from the original Super Dune II.

The demo must be installed over Dune II v1.07 (either US or European release). It does not replace any original Dune II files, meaning that both games can be played without the need to change anything in the files. Even SD2SE savegames are different from the regular Dune II ones.

More info is in the readme file.

A couple of screenshots from the demo:

I have also been able, with the help of Nyerguds' Dune II Editor, edit the sides' tech tree a bit. The Mercenaries, for example, will now have no access to any House-specific tanks whatsoever, as they rely on conventional weaponry.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: SD2SE GFX and Demo Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am happy to announce that, with the help of Ultraq's WSA conversion tool I finally was able to create Faction Profile planet animations. Currently, the Mercenaries' and Sardaukar planets are ready:

I have updated the demo with these new animations, which you can download from the title post of this thread. For those of you who have the previous version of the demo installed, I suggest first removing it before installing the new one.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Demo 3 Released Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uploaded Demo Release 3. What's new:
  • New planet/herald image for the Fremen (not animated yet).
  • Fixed instant cargo delivery to the Starport. Now frigates will arrive after 10 ticks, as they should.
  • A new player rank has been added, the Bator. Now the ranks go as follows: Private, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Levenbrech, Bator, Colonel, Bashar, Caid, Burseg, Siridar, Padishah Emperor.
  • The size of the demo package has been slightly reduced, as well as the number of files inside.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Dune 2 eXtended Demo Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since my work on SD2SE has significantly diverged from the original Super Dune 2, I have decided to split the project into two:

Super Dune II Classic Edition - this is the original Super Dune 2 updated to v1.07 with all possible bugs and errors fixed. No new graphics (except the title screen) or missions.
Dune 2 eXtended - this project Wink It's aimed at enhanced gameplay and lots of new stuff Smile

I have uploaded a new Demo of Dune 2 eXtended. It includes a fully playable capmaign, two new units and lost of other changes. Download the Demo from the first post of this thread.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A minor update to the Demo: now the Mercenaries can build unlimited Saboteurs from the Barracks (you need to upgrade them twice and have the House of IX as well). Also the Setup program no longer offers you to select languages other than English (which are not supported) - thanks to Nyerguds for that!

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How are Ix related to Saboteurs?

Other than that, I like all the work done for this.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Demo Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I apologize for having released a demo version that would crash after the first mission. This is now fixed, plus:
  • Fremen, Mercenary and Sardaukar units are no longer immune to deviation.
  • Fremen Fedaykin changed back to Ordos Deviator.
  • The Deviator now requires the Hi-Tech Factory and three Heavy Factory upgrades to be produced. It no longer requires House IX.
  • Deviators are only built by House Ordos.
  • Sonic Tanks can be now built by the Fremen.
  • Heavy Trooper changed to Fremen Warrior.
  • Heavy Trooper Squad changed to Fremen Warriors.
  • Light Infantry Soldier hit points increased from 20 to 35.
  • Light Infantry Soldier movement speed increased from 8 to 10.
  • Light Infantry Soldier weapon damage increased from 3 to 5.
  • Light Infantry Squad hit points increased from 50 to 85.
  • Light Infantry Squad movement speed increased from 5 to 8.
  • Light Infantry Squad weapon damage increased from 3 to 5.
  • Saboteur hit points increased from 10 to 20.
  • Saboteur weapon damage increased from 2 to 3.
  • Saboteur cost increased from 120 to 150.
  • Sardaukar Trooper hit points decreased from 135 to 120.
  • Sardaukar Trooper movement speed decreased from 12 to 10.
  • Sardaukar Trooper sight range decreased from 3 to 2.
  • Sardaukar Trooper weapon damage (per rocket) decreased from 12 to 10.
  • Sardaukar Trooper weapon reload time increased from 60 to 75.

Read more in the Demo readme file.

Quote:
How are Ix related to Saboteurs?

They... err... produce... uh... hi-tech... explosives..?

Actually, since I removed the Palace from the Mercenaries, I thought I'd need a prerequisite structure for the Saboteurs now that they're built from the Barracks, and IX seemed perfect fro that purpose.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Dune 2 eXtended Demo Update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to segra the concrete bug and the vanishing house bug have been fixed, and I have updated the Demo accordingly. Other changes include:
  • Keyboard shortcuts now work correctly on the side selection screen. Press M to select the Mercenaries, F to select the Fremen and S to select the Sardaukar.
  • Windtrap power output changed back to 100.
  • Windtrap hit points changed back to 200.
  • Windtrap cost changed back to 300.
  • Barracks power consumption changed back to 10.
  • Starport power consumption changed back to 50.
  • House of IX reinstated as pre-requisite for all House tanks and Ornitopters.
  • The Sardaukar no longer need the Hi-Tech Factory to produce Devastators.
  • The Mercenaries can now buy a limited number of Deviators, Devastators and Sonic Tanks from the Starport on later missions.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Demo v1.21 Released Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've given the tech tree a major overhaul, now the Light Factory and the Heavy Factory are united in one Vehicle Factory structure that produces all kinds of vehicles. The similar-type "duplicate" units (Trike/Quad, Combat Tank/Siege Tank) have been given to different sides to increase diversion and avoid "useless" units in the tech tree. I think players will still want to buy more powerful units from Starport at later levels.

Here's a detailed list of changes:
  • Switched to a newer version of the game executable.
  • Light Factory and Heavy Factory united into a single Factory structure which produces all vehicles.

• Trike is now produced by Atreides and Fremen only.
  • Quad is now produced by Harkonnens, Ordos and Mercenaries.
  • Combat Tank is now available to Atreides, Fremen, Ordos and Mercenaries, and requires one Factory upgrade to be produced.
  • Siege Tank is now available to Harkonnens and Sardaukar, and requires one Factory upgrade to be produced.
  • Mobile Construction vehicle now requires two Factory upgrades.
  • Rocket Launcher now requires three Factory upgrades.
  • Rocket Launcher is no longer available to the Fremen.
  • House of IX is no longer required to produce 'Thopters or special tanks. It is still required to produce Saboteurs and Deviators.
  • Devastator is no longer available to the Sardaukar.
  • Sonic Tank now requires 3 Factory upgrades and a Hi-Tech Factory.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a small update to the demo. I have finally figured out how to make decent quality VOCs, and the voice announcements now sound a lot better. Other changes include increased cost for the Sardaukar Vehicle Factory (from 500 to 600), and decreased build time for the Fremen/Mercenary Vehicle Factory. Also, several mission files were tweaked a bit, and some Mentat database entries were edited to reflect tech tree changes.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Development Discussion at FED2k Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one is a relatively big update, with lots of changes. I have reworked quite a few things in the tech trees, balance and (hopefully) playing strategies. I've backtracked to the original tech layout for the vehicles, meaning that the Light Factory is back producing the wheeled vehicles (it was very difficult to balance the one-factory tech tree, because in the Sega version the Vehicle Factory has more upgrades than any factory in the PC version, simply allowing to replace the construction of a Heavy Factory with an upgrade). The Mercenaries are now only able to purchase heavy vehicles and aircraft from the Starport (I've made sure they won't get an "out of stock" situation), and the Sardaukar have all the heavy units but can't repair them. The Fremen have the bonus of rare sandworm encounters in most missions and non-decaying structures, but can't produce combat and heavy tanks (they can only buy them from the Starport in limited quantities).

Here's a complete list of changes:
  • Fremen Warrior hit points increased from 45 to 50.
  • Fremen Warriors hit points increased from 110 to 115.
  • Trikes and Quads are again produced in the Light Factory.
  • Light Factory is now available to the Mercenaries and the Fremen.
  • Heavy Factory upgrade levels now work as follows: UpgLvl0=Tank, Harvester; UpgLvl1=MCV; UpgLvl2=Launcher; UpgLvl3=Siege Tank, Sonic Tank.
  • Heavy Factory is no longer available to the Mercenaries.
  • Combat Tanks and Siege Tanks are no longer available to the Fremen.
  • Rocket Launchers are now available to the Fremen.
  • Repair Facility now requires the Light Factory to be built first.
  • Repair Facility is available starting from mission 5.
  • Repair Facility is no longer available to the Sardaukar.
  • High-Tech Factory is no longer available to the Mercenaries.
  • Rocket Turrets are now available starting from mission 7.
  • Starport is no longer available to the Sardaukar.
  • Starport deliveries for the Mercenaries take half the normal time.
  • Sonic Tanks, Devastators, Deviators and Ornithopters again require a House of Ix to be built.
  • House of Ix is now available to the Fremen.
  • Starport is no longer required to construct a Palace. In order to build a Palace, an Outpost and a House of WOR must be constructed first.
  • Sardaukar Cluster Missile recharge time reduced from 600 to 300.
  • Fremen buildings no longer "decay" from weather conditions.
  • All missions have been modified to reflect the tech tree changes.
  • Missions 6 and 7 for all sides now have two CPU opponents instead of one.
  • Sandworms are made more rare and less aggressive in the Fremen campaign.
  • The Mercenary player gets a +500 credits bonus at the start of each mission.
  • Quantity of each unit type in stock available at the Starport for the Mercenary player set to 25 in all Mercenary missions.
  • Mercenaries can no longer buy House special tanks from the Starport on mission 9.
  • Fixed the issue when upgrading the Construction Yard on mission 3 would not allow to build large concrete slabs.
  • Saved games fro all campaigns are now included in the Demo package.

I'd like to thank Daelin for lots of feedback and suggestions that helped me with development of this Demo release.

NOTE: Since I've changed many things in this release, including some file names, it is recommended that you remove any previous version of the DuneX you might have before installing the current one.

Anderwin
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see this mod going well, going to get my dune II up and running maybe soon and test this Smile

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This update is mostly about modifying AI behavior. Recent updates of Nyerguds' Dune II Editor, based on Daelin's research, and the subsequent investigation of AI attack priorities have opened the possibility to significantly increase AI efficiency in Dune II. The Demo features a new AI attack priority system, which supposedly will make the game more challenging.

Another development, also made possible with Nyerguds' Editor, is that the Demo now consists of less PAK files, and its size is also reduced. This was done by "rewiring" the PAK file contents (previously I had to replace certain files within the PAK archives), so all the duplicate files that were not changed compared to Dune II are read from the original archives. Because of this, it is highly recommended that you uninstall any previous version of the Demo you might have before installing the current one.

Also, the Mercenary campaign is now complete with new briefings. The story isn't exactly breathtaking, but this is better than just placeholder Ordos briefings from Dune II Smile Most mercenary missions have new briefing images that are more or less appropriate to what's going to happen in the mission itself.

Here are some action-packed screenshots:

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This release only has some minor tweaks and changes. I've added a new Windows icon, and updated some briefings.

An important two-in-one fix in this release remedies the situation with the game freezing at the side selection screen with sound enabled on WinXP, and removes the incorrect side announcements during side selection.

As always, it is recommended to completely remove any previous version of the Demo you might have. You can leave the savegames though, as the campaigns were mostly left unchanged (note that all Demo savegames are deleted during uninstall by default, so don't forget to make back-up copies).

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very small update really. Fixes a few issues that were pointed out by various people, and also adds the Troopers sonic immunity.

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does this work with opendune?

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea (haven;t tested yet) but I hope that when OpenDune is completed, it will allow for mods like DuneX to be implemented more easily (e.g. if it will be possible to add new unit types instead of replacing existing units with new ones).

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrFlibble wrote:
I have no idea (haven't tested yet) but I hope that when OpenDune is completed, it will allow for mods like DuneX to be implemented more easily (e.g. if it will be possible to add new unit types instead of replacing existing units with new ones).

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

=)

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A relatively minor update with some tweaks and fixes:
  • Carryalls will no longer automatically pick up repaired units from the Repair Facility unless all exits are blocked by obstacles. This was done to prevent incorrect Carryall behavior caused by units leaving the Repair Facility on their own when a Carryall was en route to pick them up.
  • Rocket Turret attack range restored to its original value.
  • Changed the ownership of Fremen-controlled Sandworms in all versions of Fremen mission 5.
  • The Sandworms in the last Fremen mission will no longer Area Guard the vicinity of the player's base, causing the Ordos to attack prematurely.
  • The Ordos are now able to produce Trikes.
  • Saboteur production cost changed from 150 to 120.

Thanks go to Jordos for helping to fix the issue with Ordos not being able to build Trikes.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The new version has quite a few changes. First, the light infantry was scrapped, and the Heavy Troopers are back. The Light Infantry was converted into the new Fremen Warriors, who are like the regular Troopers but have twice as much hit points, lack the missile attack, and cost more.

The Mercenaries got the Heavy Factory and the High-Tech Factory back, and no longer receive faster Starport deliveries. They still have a bonus with the Starport in that they get it on mission 4, one mission earlier than everyone else. More units are in stock for the Mercenaries too. That Sardaukar also can buy stuff from the Starport, and require it to build a Palace.

I also added the building decay fix (thanks TrueBrain!) and looped reinforcements (thanks Segra!) that will now occur on most missions.

Here's a detailed list of changes:
  • Structures will now decay only if placed on bare rock or incomplete foundations. Structures that were placed on normal concrete foundations will only take damage from power shortage (thanks TrueBrain!)
  • Looped reinforcements have been added (thanks Segra!)
  • Fremen Warrior and Warrior group units no longer have the secondary missile attack.
  • Heavy Troopers now replace Combat Infantry. Heavy Troopers retain their original stats from Dune II.
  • Fremen Warrior cost increased from 100 to 150.
  • Fremen Warrior sight range decreased from 2 to 1.
  • Fremen Warrior hit points increased from 50 to 90.
  • Fremen Warrior group cost increased from 200 to 250.
  • Fremen Warrior group sight range decreased from 2 to 1.
  • Fremen Warrior group hit points increased from 115 to 220.
  • Sardaukar Trooper hit points reduced from 120 to 110.
  • Sardaukar Trooper weapon damage (per missile) reduced from 10 to 8.
  • Sardaukar Trooper weapon reload time reduced from 75 to 55.
  • Sardaukar Trooper cost reduced from 250 to 200.
  • Saboteur hit points increased from 20 to 40.
  • There can be no more than two Saboteurs on the map at any given time.
  • Trike movement speed increased from 45 to 60.
  • Quad movement speed increased from 40 to 50.
  • Fremen can now produce Combat Tanks.
  • Fremen can produce Rocket Launchers starting with mission 5.
  • Sonic Tank no longer requires 3 Heavy Factory upgrades for production. It only requires the House of Ix.
  • Large concrete slabs are now available for production starting with level 2.
  • Wall segment hit points decreased from 100 to 70.
  • Radar Outpost tech level changed from 2 to 1.
  • Radar Outpost is now required to build Barracks, WOR facility or Starport.
  • The construction of a Light Factory is now required to build a Heavy Factory except for the Sardaukar. The Sardaukar need to build a Windtrap and an Outpost in order to access the Heavy Factory.
  • Heavy Factory hit points increased from 200 to 400.
  • Heavy Factory tech level changed from 3 to 4 for Fremen and Mercenaries.
  • High-Tech Factory hit points increased from 400 to 500.
  • Repair Facility hit points increased from 200 to 450.
  • Repair Facility tech level changed from 4 to 5.
  • The construction of a Starport in now required to build a Palace.
  • Palace no longer requires a WOR facility to be constructed first.
  • Sardaukar now have access to the Starport.
  • Mercenaries can build Heavy Factories and High-Tech Factories.
  • Mercenaries no longer have faster Starport deliveries.
  • Mercenaries get access to the Starport on mission 4.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A quick update mostly devoted to fixing things. First and foremost, I finally got to edit some of the game sound effect files that had an audible clicking noise at the end (e.g. rifle and machinegun firing sounds, some explosions etc.). Using Audacity, I was able to fix them, so the clicking noises are now removed. Other than that, I fixed an issue with Sardaukar weapon sound that also caused weird clicking sounds when lots of Sardaukar Troopers were firing at a target, and slightly tweaked the Sardaukar Troopers' stats for better balancing.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another small update with cosmetic changes mostly. First, I figured out how to change the faction heralds on the conquest map in accord with the faction that is currently played:

Secondly, the score screen bars are now coloured depending on the player's side:

Also, the Fremen get back their missile attack, as they were pretty much useless without it. They now deal a tad less damage for balancing issues, but so do the regular Troopers' missiles too.

Cantdrawbutmod
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On my default color settings,the fremen color is exactly the same as the harkonnens.
When I increased the light,a small difference appeared.
It might need to be either really different,or lighter (they are the inhabitants of dune,they almost could have the color of unconquered lands).

The rest is great!

Argh I can't find time to finish my C&C mods testing,and I have to add Dune 2 to the list now lol Laughing

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cantdrawbutmod wrote:
It might need to be either really different,or lighter (they are the inhabitants of dune,they almost could have the color of unconquered lands).

The Fremen color scheme had been made a bit lighter in v1.07, but then it looks too much like the Mercenary color scheme.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finally the Gallery is working again, so I added more screenshots showing some early missions Smile

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SCO from FED2k forums helped to track down a bug in the Demo that caused incompatibility errors with some versions of Dune II. This release fixes the bug, nothing else is changed.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's yet another small release, mostly visual updates and optimizations:
  • The game will no longer generate or use the file ONETIME.DAT.
  • Fixed the remapable coloured text on production and map selection screens. The Mercenary colours will no longer blend in with the text outline.
  • The item selection box in the production menu is now animated.
  • Faction heralds are now displayed in the production menu.
  • Mission 1 score screen now shows stats for buildings.
  • Enemy score bar colour changed from purple to red.
This update wouldn't have been possible without Segra's Dune II database.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrFlibble, in the Dune II EXE Research thread at Fed2k I posted a fix for the score screen heralds Smile

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, thanks Smile (it turns out I check this thread a bit less frequently than FED2k)

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nyerguds helped me to fix the code so that proper faction heralds are displayed on the score screen for each side (previously, it would display a Sardaukar and a Fremen herald regardless of what faction was currently played). Other changes include:
  • The House of Ix structure now has correct colours (similar to this fix).
  • Structures that are placed on incomplete foundations or bare rock will decay in missions 1 and 2 (previously, decay was disabled in the first two missions).
  • Destruction of enemy units is now announced as "Enemy unit destroyed" in all missions, not just missions 1 and 2.
  • Destruction of enemy structures is now announced as "Enemy structure destroyed" instead of just "Structure destroyed".
  • Fremen Warriors now have both missiles and machine guns, just like regular Troopers.
  • Fixed incorrect info in the first Sardaukar mission briefing (thanks to Nyerguds for reporting that one)

I've also added a more detailed version history of the project, documenting all changes since the very first public release of the modification.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not in the least thanks to the breakthrough made by the OpenDUNE Team, and updates to Nyerguds' Dune II Editor, here comes this release Smile

First off, the game no longer uses limited voice-overs for in-game announcements, and original voices are back: the Sardaukar have Frank Klepacki as the Harkonnen Mentat, and the Fremen and the Mercenaries share the Atreides female voice.

Secondly, Sardaukar Troopers can no longer be repaired like vehicles (thanks to improvements made by Nyeguds in the latest version of his editor). This also lead to the reinstating of the Repair Facility in the Sardaukar tech tree, although it had to be moved up a bit and now requires the Heavy Factory to have been built first.

Finally, the Fremen will no longer automatically attack the Sandworms, which are now assigned to the Atreides in all Fremen missions. However, the Sandworms are generally less hostile towards the Fremen.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: DuneX v1.28 released Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After quite some time without updates, the DuneX v1.28 update is courtesy of a truly dedicated modding endeavour by drnovice, who is a source of important contributions to the Dune II Editing community Smile drnovice built and expanded on the knowledge of Dune II mechanics from such projects as OD2, OpenDUNE and Dune Dynasty, with the following results:
Quote:
ChangeLog:
v1.28: (April 22, 2013)
  • Fixed Timeout Scenario variable to reach victory condition by timing
  • Full working bilateral alliance between Fremen & Atreides (Atreides CPU now is active to Fremen)
  • Sardaukar Trooper can swap weapon type on short range like Regular Troopers & Warriors and no more explosion animation when they die (single infantry death animation)
  • GUI Unit Menu no more lost focus on selected unit when cancel a Move/Attack command
  • Fixed various Mentats alerts (restored missing "Unit" speech on Sardaukar alerts & always called Houses name for Units and Structures instead of "Enemy" speech)

Kudos to drnovice for this wonderful release! Very Happy

drnovice612
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally decided to register here, hoping that the discussions about Dune 2 are more active! Smile

P.S. the Avatar is a tribute to segra

Last edited by drnovice612 on Sun May 05, 2013 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon