Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:49 pm
All times are UTC + 0
FLH positioner
Moderators: Community Tools Developpers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Denmon
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject:  FLH positioner
Subject description: A tool that can help you write weapon FLH's
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a small request for a tool. So, basicly what I want is a tool that can position muzzle flashes and stuff by dragging it around with your mouse and then getting its FLH coordinates in a small box or something. Why you say? Beacuse I hate to write and test FLH's.

Now as Jean-luc Picard would say:

16524_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.17 KB
 Viewed:  5530 Time(s)

16524_3.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Gaffel
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have wanted this for a long time. It is very strange that it still dont exist in HVA builder yet

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have done some research into FLHs for both TS and RA2. by my crazy calculations, you can find the FLH for a unit by simply counting voxels and doing a little math.

RA2 voxel to FLH ratio: 4.2666666666666666666666666666667
TS voxel to FLH ratio: 5.3333333333333333333333333333333 (This is untested)

Now for a mini tutorial (Static turret voxel):

(Perform these steps in VXLSEIII)
1. Start counting the number of voxels from the center of the model to the end of the muzzle.
2. Count the number of voxels from the bottom of the model to the height of the muzzle.

(Perform these steps on any calculator)
3. Multiply both of the numbers of voxels by the corresponding game ratio you are using. (RA2/TS)

Example (made up numbers):
Howitzer tank voxel:
Forward = 25
Lateral = 0 (Since the barrel is usually centered, this is always zero)
Height = 12
multiply them by the Ratio:
Forward = 106
Lateral = 0
Height = 51

These numbers would be a good basis to start off your trial and error testing. There is more math to this that includes factoring in the voxel dot distance ratio, but I'm not going to explain it now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your a freaking god icy. I'm sure Denmon0728 would like them too. Very Happy

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this confirs an old notice at YRagr, 1 voxel ~ 4 leptons. And if you use boiunds, remember to calulate those too!!! so: if you use bounds in HVAbuilder, add this between step two and three. So if its 23 voxels forward, and you use a bound of 0,5 multiply 23 with 0,5 wich is 12,5.Then use that number and multiply with 4,2667/5.3333

Other than that, thanks IcySon55 Wink

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dupl3xxx wrote:
And if you use boiunds, remember to calulate those too!!! so: if you use bounds in HVAbuilder, add this between step two and three. So if its 23 voxels forward, and you use a bound of 0,5 multiply 23 with 0,5 wich is 12,5.Then use that number and multiply with 4,2667/5.3333

NO NO NO! Dupl3xxx, that's completely wrong.....

I would need images and a real voxel to properly show you how to calculate and apply the voxel bounds ratio. I'm currently not up to the task at this very moment. Just remember that what Dupl3xxx has here is very wrong.

Gaffel
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IcySon55 wrote:
I have done some research into FLHs for both TS and RA2. by my crazy calculations, you can find the FLH for a unit by simply counting voxels and doing a little math.

RA2 voxel to FLH ratio: 4.2666666666666666666666666666667
TS voxel to FLH ratio: 5.3333333333333333333333333333333 (This is untested)

Now for a mini tutorial (Static turret voxel):

(Perform these steps in VXLSEIII)
1. Start counting the number of voxels from the center of the model to the end of the muzzle.
2. Count the number of voxels from the bottom of the model to the height of the muzzle.

(Perform these steps on any calculator)
3. Multiply both of the numbers of voxels by the corresponding game ratio you are using. (RA2/TS)

Example (made up numbers):
Howitzer tank voxel:
Forward = 25
Lateral = 0 (Since the barrel is usually centered, this is always zero)
Height = 12
multiply them by the Ratio:
Forward = 106
Lateral = 0
Height = 51

These numbers would be a good basis to start off your trial and error testing. There is more math to this that includes factoring in the voxel dot distance ratio, but I'm not going to explain it now.

very smart. But when you say "count voxels" do you mean a pixel? That tiny dot that comes with the "Draw Tool"?
And if the voxel is scaled, then you should get incorrect values.

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gaffel wrote:
very smart. But when you say "count voxels" do you mean a pixel? That tiny dot that comes with the "Draw Tool"?
And if the voxel is scaled, then you should get incorrect values.

Yes, each pixel that you draw is known as a voxel or volume pixel. You count those.

If your voxel is scaled (using voxel bounds) you have to factor in the dimension to bounds ratio aswell.
Example:

Voxel Dimensions: 40,30,20
These normally have tons of decimal places, I've rounded them up/down for simplicity.
Voxel Bounds Min: -20,-15,0
Voxel Bounds Max: 20,15,20

The above bounds show a 1:1 non resized voxel currently positioned on the ground.

Now a voxel scaled down by 80% (We already know the ratio here because we know it's 20% smaller than normal.)
Voxel Bounds Min: -16,-12,0
Voxel Bounds Max: 16,12,16
To calculate it: Y max (16) devided by the height of the voxel (20) gives you 0.8 (Our known 80%)

You just multiply your previous FLH numbers by 0.8 to get a 20% smaller FLH to match the voxel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum