Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am
All times are UTC + 0
Syringe + ExceptChecker2 - Public beta release!
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [78 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:  Syringe + ExceptChecker2 - Public beta release!
Subject description: Want a first glimpse at my DLL system?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE (05/23/2008):
All known problems have been traced down and fixes are available!
-----------------------------------------------

I released the first public version of my DLL injection tool as well as the first DLL for Yuri's Revenge, the ExceptChecker 2.

The ExceptChecker replaces the Internal Error window by one that tells you why the game crashed, if that information could be retrieved.
It already detects a number of Internal Error reasons listed on the ModEnc.

All the info about everything you find in the latest news here:
http://rp2.strategy-x.com/

I'd be happy if people tried it out. Smile
Let me know whether it all works or not!

Important notice:
It will only work with Windows 2000 Professional or higher.
While I'm sorry for Windows 98 or ME users, I can't do anything about this, since it was Windows 2000 Professional that introduced the debugging API that I make use of.

It was tested successfully tested under Windows XP Professional (x86) and Windows Vista Ultimate (x64).

Last edited by pd on Fri May 23, 2008 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hoooooolyyyy shittttt!!! o_O

pd, you are ztyping awesome!

btw, is this topic in the right forum? if yes, do you want me to sticky it?

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it's not limited to YR editing (TS, RA1, MS Paint DLLs are possible just as well), but I will concentrate on that for now.

If you think this deserves a sticky, go ahead. Wink

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy motherfuck! This is good news Very Happy In theory this means I have to put up with Npatch less now, and whilst I still do this gives me a helping hand.

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The version that I released will not work with NPatch for a simple reason. I now got a version working with NPatch, however.

Did anybody try it yet?
For DonutArnold it doesn't do anything, I'm currently implementing log file writing to find out the source of that problem.

Please help by trying. Smile

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll do it when I get home at 5 (GMT). Please post the Npatch working version, it'll help loads.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the log file:

syringe.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  syringe.txt
 Filesize:  1.25 KB
 Downloaded:  363 Time(s)

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a bunch!
To everyone else: don't be surprised, your version will not generate a log file, I just created that one.

Still waiting for more input.

It looks like for some reason, skipping the launcher check will not work (ie you still can't run the game without ra2md.exe, which would be required).
I don't know yet why, because it works like a charm for me.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So we basically got a except check which checks all know errors but if EIP not recognised its something wierd.

Its a nice start pd but its just seems at moment to be a posh except checker.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:
The version that I released will not work with NPatch for a simple reason. I now got a version working with NPatch, however.

Can you release it please? hehe
Also great work pd, this help the whole community Very Happy

EDIT: I try it many time soon as NPatch comp. is released

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Its a nice start pd but its just seems at moment to be a posh except checker.

Even though you said it yourself you've missed the point entirely.
It's a start, it proves it can and is being done and that RP 2 and thw DLL thing as a whole is moving along. On it's own it's quite useful, as an example of what PD's doing it means a lot more.

Biohazard
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YAY this will help greatly. now we can have less IE error topics. thanks pd

Retired YR Player
Steam Account : MAS93
Xfire: msbiohazard

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

come one pd, give us Npatch fix version Smile

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First I want to solve the problem everybody has when trying this... the DLL functions don't get called because LoadLibrary fails.
The problem is not OS-related and I cannot recreate it. You'll have to wait till I have this sorted. >.<

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh man, this is going to be good thing for everyone. now i wont bother making topics and i wont annoy the people that reads them. but i so far cant figure out how to make this work >.< all you do is drag that gamemd.syr thingy ontop of the syringe.exe thing right?

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There seem to be major problems at the moment which were unforeseen, but thanks to the great help of DCoder, Marshall and IcySon55 I'm really closing in to an solution.

Be patient please. Smile

tobiasboon46
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BUT, it says that "It won't open just like that...blah" when I do that and no change is made...

Err...the image above means no offence to the american people...It's a bit of what I feel about it's gov't >_>

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have the same problem as Tobiasboon46.

I did everything the instruction says at your site and still no luck.
I even drag the gamemd.syr to syringe.exe and nothing happened like it supposed to. I even run the exe as an admin and still have the same problem.

I normally don't ask for help. I'm just letting you know. #Tongue

My OS is Vista 32bit.

error.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.86 KB
 Viewed:  53773 Time(s)

error.png

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

tobiasboon46
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have XP Pro...

Err...the image above means no offence to the american people...It's a bit of what I feel about it's gov't >_>

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

same problems as above. reason why i asked if i did it right. dose not show any ingame text on the load screen indicating it working... and when i get IE... nothing happens O_O

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wardeathfun, running ra2md.exe won't help you, you have to start YR via Syringe to make it work after all.

HOWEVER,
there are two things preventing stuff to work.

1)
It does not work by dragging and dropping the SYR on Syringe on Windows XP.
That's because if you do so, Windows XP sets Syringe's working directory to Documents and Settings\(Username), where it cannot find any DLLs.

Windows XP users should either
- Associate SYR files to syringe
OR
- Create a .bat file with the content:
Code:
Syringe "gamemd.syr"

2)
I found out that probably, the DLL requires the Visual C++ runtimes and that's the reason it doesn't run for most people.
I will look into fixing at as soon as possible.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

epic lol Rolling Eyes to all those people that said it would be hassle free and bug free ..

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stop being such an attention whore already, know-it-all. The only way you don't make mistakes at all is if you don't even try to do anything.

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allied General wrote:
epic lol Rolling Eyes to all those people that said it would be hassle free and bug free ..

It is, just as DCoder said...
This was an issue I could only find by doing a public release.

The system itself has had no problem on any computer so far (judging by the logs), it's just that the VC++ runtimes are missing for them and the DLLs cannot be loaded.
That problem isn't really my fault (IMO, it's Mircosoft's by not including the runtimes in Windows Update).

I will do another release in a short while.
Fixed versions and links to the VC++ runtime.

Last edited by pd on Fri May 23, 2008 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YuriX
Medic

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice work!

But when an IE is caused the message box is in the background. I can directly see it.

And the log file here:

syringe.txt
 Description:
IE caused by a missing weapon.

Download
 Filesize:  25.35 KB
 Downloaded:  350 Time(s)

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not sure why you posted the log file, but yeah, I'm aware of the MessageBox being in the background.

I think there was some flag that told it to appear in the foreground, I'm not sure right now.
Thanks for trying! Smile

tobiasboon46
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CRAP!
You all don't know how I hate Windows...tha bitch won't help me to run this...I need it, 'cause I have some units in my mod that crash and I don't know why...this could help...

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tobiasboon46 wrote:
CRAP!
You all don't know how I hate Windows...tha bitch won't help me to run this...I need it, 'cause I have some units in my mod that crash and I don't know why...this could help...

Same problem as before?
As I stated, the drag & drop method will not work for Windows XP.

Double-click the gamemd.syr file, Windows will show you the "Open With..." dialog.
There you check "Select a program from a list of installed programs", click OK, then click on "Browse..." and go to your Yuri's Revenge directory where you hit Syringe.exe.
Be sure to check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of files", so next time you just have to double-click the SYR file.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh seems like a lot of effort to run a except checker, you didn't do much internal testing beforehand if you somehow forget this microsoft crap and then rush out this fix, and its not gonna find every known bug, cos we all know YR engine is fail.

You could have waited and made something more user friendly or asked DCoder, Blade, Marshall to test instead of these lol users.

Also wasn't everyone complaining about lack of documentation in regards to the old exe hacks?

Finally when are we getting this epicness as shown by the pinned thread?

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16378

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thread title wrote:
Public beta release

You're supposed to give me ideas, not complain and say it's all crap.

And your inconsequence of thoughts is pretty funny...
AG wrote:
You could have waited and made something more user friendly

AG wrote:
Finally when are we getting this epicness as shown by the pinned thread?

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

*sigh* forget AG.

anyways. i thought you where suppose to move the "GAMEMD.SYR" or osmething... the one you gave us in package... right? i moved that file ontop of the syringe thing and it says yris revenge cant be run. the exact words are "Main Executable for yuris revenge stopped working a problem caused it to stop working" and bla bla bla. I am sorry in advance if im doing something so far off to what im suppose todo.

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wardeathfun wrote:
*sigh* forget AG.

Oh, yeah, nevermind AG.
Actually, he's been questioning me since day one (see old DeeZire thread). Wink

wardeathfun wrote:
anyways. i thought you where suppose to move the "GAMEMD.SYR" or osmething... the one you gave us in package... right? i moved that file ontop of the syringe thing and it says yris revenge cant be run. the exact words are "Main Executable for yuris revenge stopped working a problem caused it to stop working" and bla bla bla. I am sorry in advance if im doing something so far off to what im suppose todo.

I (in my latest news) wrote:
Windows XP (or earlier) users:
Associate SYR files to Syringe and run gamemd.syr or create a BAT file containing
Code:
Syringe "gamemd.syr"

Windows Vista users:
Drag & Drop gamemd.syr into Syringe.exe or follow any of the steps for Windows XP users.

If you're on XP, drag & drop won't work.
I'll probably be able to fix it later, though.

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It worked! Thanks Pd. Round 2 worked #Tongue

Quote:

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so is NPatch (public beta) Rolling Eyes

I've supported RP for ages then you disappeared.

This has no pratical modding help except mention IE mentioned on Modenc unless it magically finds out unknown error issues.

I would like a modding tool, not uh omg I messed up my coding so I'll use this tool.

Thats why I'm asking about RP2

There is a balance between usability and time for development. I think you should have done private beta test first.

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL, where's the point working on a RP2 DLL when I'm not sure yet that the DLLs work for people.

The intention of this isn't that people have an ExceptChecker (it's far from complete, just a tryout version).
The intention is to see how well the DLL system works out.

And now I got the confirmation that it runs.
I'll probably "be gone" for a while again until things are done.

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This error I made for a test gave me this Confused

What I purposely did: just a small typo on the "Image=" tag
I did Image=GEPAR while the correct one is Image=GEPARD
and the except checker was unable to give me a direction of the were the error was made #Tongue I know this is just a early beta. I'm just letting you know.

EDIT: except.txt is added.

YR IE.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.06 KB
 Viewed:  53559 Time(s)

YR IE.png

except.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  except.txt
 Filesize:  25.16 KB
 Downloaded:  258 Time(s)

syringe.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filesize:  28.35 KB
 Downloaded:  256 Time(s)

Last edited by Roaches on Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Upload the except.txt file. It'll help pd with this project. Smile

tobiasboon46
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Happens that I didn't used D&D on Round 2...

(Proceeding to delete all files and "reinstalling"...)(DIDN'T WORKED!!!)

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gamingroach wrote:

and the except checker was unable to give me a direction of the were the error was made #Tongue I know this is just a early beta. I'm just letting you know.

Everything's working fine for you. Smile
The reason that no description could be found is simply because the ExceptChecker doesn't recognize many error reasons yet.

It does work for you, though.

Thanks for the except and error description! That will help me to expand it.

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am sorry, I am being forgetful once again. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium.... probily should of mentioned that.

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pd wrote:
Gamingroach wrote:

Everything's working fine for you. Smile
The reason that no description could be found is simply because the ExceptChecker doesn't recognize many error reasons yet.

It does work for you, though.

Thanks for the except and error description! That will help me to expand it.

Yes Pd, it works 100% fine with me, and you're welcome. I'll report more undefined errors with descriptive comments. It would be a good idea to make a bug tracker for the Except checker to keep track of undefined errors. #Tongue

Quote:

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It would be a good idea to make a bug tracker for the Except checker to keep track of undefined errors.
You mean the bug tracker pd is already using?

Edit: Whoever has doubts about this being functional or not, I am literally five minutes away from compiling a test dll that should enable gap generation on all objects, not just buildings. How's that for "useless"?

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well to make myself more clear I meant it to have its own bug tracking category like the Pr0g, Atrigan Tank Wars, and of course Rockpatch2.
so that way it would making things organized, As opposed to RP2 Wishlist
the Except Checker category is strictly about reporting new forms of Internal Errors, EIP and their description on what caused these Internal Errors.

Quote:

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On that point I agree.
A good way to keep track of which errors are known.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Whoever has doubts about this being functional or not, I am literally five minutes away from compiling a test dll that should enable gap generation on all objects, not just buildings. How's that for "useless"?

That's useless
Today is my personal opposite day.

wardeathfun
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@ Wardeathfun: heres my solution: right click Syringe.exe and set it's privilege to Administrator. Second, right click Gamemd.syr and associate that file with Syringe.exe. and finally create a shortcut of Gamemd.syr and run it.

It worked for me. #Tongue

Quote:

pd
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah drag and drop sometimes causes errors for me.
I'll just edit the instructions.

Go and associate SYR to Syringe like it should be. Wink

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why did this not make the front page?

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon