Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
Do you want ROTD 2.8 or an inofficial C&C95 expansion pack?
Moderators: Reaperrr, red_rebel
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 3 [118 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next

What do you want first? ROTD 2.8 or C&C95 expansion?
RotD 2.8
28%
 28%  [ 20 ]
C&C95 expansion pack
71%
 71%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 70

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject:  Do you want ROTD 2.8 or an inofficial C&C95 expansion pack?
Subject description: Yeah I'm still modding
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey people,

yeah I'm still alive Wink

The situation on ROTD is the following: In theory, I would have enough time to work on 2.8 atm, but to be honest, I don't really feel the motivation to do it.
I did have some cool ideas in mind for it, but implementing them would require lots of work & time, and putting so much effort into a mod that seemingly only a few people are still interested in, doesn't exactly motivate me.

Amongst some minor graphical tweaks, I had the following two new main features in mind:
- Mod being split into Classic ROTD on the one hand and "Reaperrr's Rules" on the other hand, the latter a separate mode that takes original ROTD and turns things upside-down when it comes to several things, mainly balancing. Most units would get different/modified/additional weapons, and all kinds of unit and weapon statistics would be modified to change the gameplay experience to something different, yet still (maybe even more) fun.
- a new multiplayer mode, and one that has never been done before, at least not in this form.

What I'd prefer to make right now, is an inofficial Expansion pack for C&C1 (95/TFD-version, of course).
Combining what Nyerguds has found in the exe regarding settings for units, weapons, music etc., with my modding skills and (even if you didn't know that) TD mapping skills, this expansion will be more than just a few new missions, it will also feature

-improved balance
-simulated skirmish battles
-6-player LAN enabled by default
-singleplayer co-op missions with allied AI
-co-op battles with human vs. AI
-new units (not sure about multiplayer, but in singleplayer definitely)
-some bonus tracks enabled
-some other stuff

Of course, it will be based on all the latest fan-made patches for C&C95, so it
-runs stable under WinXP
-LAN play working
-1024x768 resolution available

As I said, I personally favor the C&C95 expansion, but if the majority of you votes for ROTD 2.8, I'll make that first, and then the expansion.

You decide Smile

-Reaperrr

Last edited by Reaperrr on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&C95 Expansion sounds like a better option. Smile

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whats the point if the patches are available..?
but, no offence, i never liked ROTD so ill vote for the expansion anyway.

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ChielScape wrote:

I just mentioned it to make clear you won't have to patch the expansion Wink
I might even make it a standalone, we'll see.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd say: make it a TD expack. It's another reason to play that old game again Smile

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:
ChielScape wrote:

I just mentioned it to make clear you won't have to patch the expansion Wink
I might even make it a standalone, we'll see.

so just to make it "available" to people too lazy to install more than 1 patch/expansion... Very Happy

i like your style.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i vote for C&C95ex
and please raise the Nod arty firing range by one cell so it can finally take out those GDI adv guard towers from every direction.
i always found it was quite useless with the low range,firepower, armor and speed.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
i vote for C&C95ex
and please raise the Nod arty firing range by one cell so it can finally take out those GDI adv guard towers from every direction.
i always found it was quite useless with the low range,firepower, armor and speed.

That's on my list Wink
Although the firepower is actually amongst the best, when it comes to theoretical average damage-per-second. It's just the inaccuracy amongst the other things you mentioned that make it so weak.

My goal is to make it so that every unit/building is at least somewhat useful, which is clearly not the case with the standard settings.

I mean, for example the normal Guard Tower is outranged by every armed Nod vehicle except the Flame Tank... basically the only thing it's useful for is defending your key buildings against engineers, but otherwise...

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I say you should continue RotD,as TD has an more limited engine,here you have ETS,which can help you much more.

Something I was interested to do in case RotD fails,was to create an TS/YR mod intended to be something in-between TD and TS/RA1 and TD,but this remained just an idea.

Tought I was thinking at working at this again,as it was an old,private mod.Maybe I'll put EtW on hold an work on this,dunno,I'll see what I can do.

If the votes get negative,(for me),and people choose to go to TD idea,maybe I'll work(just MAYBE,I don't give any guarantees).

Lets hope for the best option for all.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dude, for sure 100% sure, do an unofficial but awsome expansion pack to TD - simulated skirmishes FTW.

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

secret wrote:
I say you should continue RotD,as TD has an more limited engine

a "limited engine" is not always a disadvantage. For example, in the time you need to make one single good singleplayer mission for TS/RotD, you can make like 8-10 good TD singleplayer missions (at least in my case). And TD still offers nice stuff like airstrikes, working air transports, etc.

secret wrote:
here you have ETS,which can help you much more.

ETS is still at version 3.4 rev. 19, and last time I checked, that version offers no features that would be really useful for RotD at all, at least not its original goal, which is to make it a TS2TD TC.

If ETS offered stuff like fixed air transport, a real nuke effect, a real airstrike superweapon, then you bet I would use it, but right now, that's simply not the case.

Also, you talk as if developement of RotD was stopped right in the middle, which is clearly not the case. I dare to say despite its short-comings, RotD is one of the few mods that ever reached a "basically finished" state. RotD 2.8 would add some improvements here and two new features there, but if you didn't like versions 2.6 and 2.7, you wouldn't like 2.8 much more either. And anything beyond that would depend on future versions of ETS and/or alternatives to it.

Last but not least, if the current trend of this poll continues that doesn't mean RotD 2.8 is dead and buried, it will just remain on halt for a little longer.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Had a good chat with Nyer? He has a nice database on the engine now, so more can be done Smile

Like before, im open to helping with anything you need mate Wink

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TD expansion!

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How similair are the red alert and the td engines? From what I've seen purely from gaming, it looks like an exact clone with the addition of skirmish (and other things, but pretty much the same). Would it be better to do a mod for Red Alert turning it to Tiberian Dawn? (Thus enabling skirmish) or even having a td vs ra? Stealth tanks vs tesla tanks?

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

red mammoths Vs Gold Mammoths, original there Dafool...
#Tongue

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe, a skirmish mode could be coded up for TD #Tongue

I vote Nyer to do this!

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
How similair are the red alert and the td engines? From what I've seen purely from gaming, it looks like an exact clone with the addition of skirmish (and other things, but pretty much the same). Would it be better to do a mod for Red Alert turning it to Tiberian Dawn? (Thus enabling skirmish) or even having a td vs ra? Stealth tanks vs tesla tanks?

Nope.

The number of things that are NOT possible in the RA engine far outweight the skirmish feature.

@Hyper: Yeah, that would be too cool Very Happy
The main problem would be the AI though, I doubt it can be that easily done, AI was the one thing that was improved most in RA1.

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Reaperrr wrote:
The number of things that are NOT possible in the RA engine far outweight the skirmish feature.

Very true. In my opinion, the best thing would be some kind of an engine recreation (since the source code of either games isn't going to be made public domain, apparently) that would combine the pro's of both TD and RA... but so far I haven't seen anything like that (there are several project, but they're mostly WIP).

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something like YR++ for TD and RA would be good, its just getting someone to do the hard work...

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

whiteshoes-n-gloves
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RotD is an awsome mod, its agreed, but it's kinda done and dusted, there could be single player maps made (based from TD maps would be coolest), but without ALL units properly possible, its kinda not needed.
TD, in my oppinion was a game made when the genre wasn't properly understood, westwood was on new territory and made teh best tehy could (which is fkn awsome, lol) but things like, a skirmish mode, proper MASS multiplayer and maybe even just features in the game were left out.
I vote for the expantion, it would be awsome to get this game up and running with a whole bunch of new stuff. Ive had an idea for a nod mission in mind for a while now, but without the skills I cant really make it.
If this Expantions a go, I'll flick my ideas to Reaperrr and if HE likes them, maybe it'll be a reality. A new campain would be cool, something a bit more erban, which was never really seem in TD, would be cool, mainly just have to make new buildings for such a feature.
I like the idea of some new units, I think your best to go with modern millitary stuff, everwise you'll just end up making an RA or TS feel to the game... was one thing I liked about TD, felt kinda real, like its actually possible, even if it isnt. (love that shot of the trade tower being destroyd in the opening sequence... kinda sereal...).
-Liam
TD Expantion!

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

raminator wrote:
http://www.ultraq.net.nz/Content?Page=RedHorizon_About

This is cool. Lets hope it gets done.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
westwood was on new territory

*cough* Dune 2 *cough*

I voted for an expansion for TD, but many of the listed (at least a few) features can be done with unofficial patches. (like 6 player LAN)

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tore wrote:
I voted for an expansion for TD, but many of the listed (at least a few) features can be done with unofficial patches. (like 6 player LAN)

I'm aware of that, just think of them as a nice little extra. You'll get all in one package instead of having to deal with half a dozen inofficial patches. The focus of this exp will be on new singleplayer missions.

whiteshoes-n-gloves wrote:
Ive had an idea for a nod mission in mind for a while now, but without the skills I cant really make it.
If this Expantions a go, I'll flick my ideas to Reaperrr and if HE likes them, maybe it'll be a reality.

Well judging by the current poll result and considering that I personally favor the expansion as well, I think you can just send send them over now and I'll have a look at it Wink

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I voted for C&C95 expansion pack, because I really think that would be time better spent.

whiteshoes-n-gloves
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

haha, yes, I am totally awear of Dune 2, I just dont think it was very well done, and I also think that it was CnC where they really began to understnd what they were making (especially because it alowed multiplay). My point is that they clearly left stuff out. Nod was to have parabombs (later seen in RA), proper chem facility (buildible) which would fire a tiberium missile, there was to be unarmed combat (fist fights, lol) and I also believe 2 jets, nod to have the F-18 (stealth fighter), and gdi to a have a new "sci-fi" jet (theres some renders of it, but i dont think it has a name, perhaps if u can hunt down som old WW guys maybe they did give it one, but it never went official because, it never truely excisted).

I'll get back to you on that reaperrr, I still need to sort out more of the nitty gritty, but i may send an explanation and a poorly drawn BMP image to outline it. Hope all gets going! sounds like its going to be awsome!

My other question is, could u work with WXIS to make emass multiplay for the internet by making a patch for WWchat????
-Liam

djohe
Cyborg Informer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have to go with a C&C95 expansion here. Ive always wanted to play a real C&C95 skirmish battle (or a simulated one) even if I might be able to whip up a homemade skirmish map myself without the patch

(Yes I know how to code TD & RA1 missions) Razz

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyper wrote:
Maybe, a skirmish mode could be coded up for TD #Tongue

I vote Nyer to do this!

Shut up. You know very well the C&C1 AI is as dumb as a brick.
Actually making a MP-against-AI-only may be possible, but making it act like a player isn't.
The only thing that comes close is adding all MP maps to the New Missions menu with an AI programmed in it. Which I think is what Reaperrr was already planning.
On that topic, I can probably expand the New Missions list to 999 missions :p

Reaperrr... how are you going to add units, btw?

Oh, and Im going to release an updated C&C95 exe pretty soon.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Expand it? Just make a new bloody button and window xD

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what, to read SCMG##EA and SCMB##EA?

hmm... I could do that :p

.. if I knew where the main menu graphics got drawn -_-

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nyerguds wrote:

The only thing that comes close is adding all MP maps to the New Missions menu with an AI programmed in it. Which I think is what Reaperrr was already planning.

yup Wink

Although I'm not sure if I'll add all of them in the first release, since coding a complete base section and triggers for each map would be quite alot of work... Together with a huge amount of singleplayer missions and all the other stuff, that would take quite some time...

Nyerguds wrote:

Reaperrr... how are you going to add units, btw?

Well, if you could manage to add new unit sections into the expanded exe that would be the way to go, otherwise I would have used the dinosaur entries. That would allow for 4 new units, 2 new weapons, 2 new projectiles and 2 new warheads. As long as the expansion contains no funpark missions, there would be no disadvantage to this approach.

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, i know how to add most new types to the game, its just gonna be time consuming Confused

whiteshoes-n-gloves
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

er, just to ask, did you like or hate the NOD mission I sent you???
also, if your going to make new stuff, make some terrorist technicals, the games no fun without ragheads in pickups and vans!
"Dirka Dirka, Muhammad Jihad!" lol
see if you can make those jets... though without teh red alert "aeroplane" units, this may be fkn hard/impossible, lol.
-Liam

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whiteshoes-n-gloves wrote:
er, just to ask, did you like or hate the NOD mission I sent you???
-Liam

Looks a bit complicated, but I think I'll give it a try. You need to resend me the bitmap, though, the attachement contained only the description.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can the C&C AI be modded to make it less dumb?

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote:
Can the C&C AI be modded to make it less dumb?

basically, there's one big problem with C&Cs AI: It is unable to build bases on its own.
I don't know if it's possible to implement a base-building code for the AI, at least it would require both some time and good coding knowledge.

And even if someone manages to accomplish that, we're probably talking about a RA1-like I-cheat-and-rush-to-compensate-for-my-dumbness AI.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's better then the ooh-I-rebuild-my-structures-without-any-structures-near basebuilding the TD AI has #Tongue

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Writing a never-before-implemented AI system in the game in pure asm is madness. No one will ever be able to do that.

bartpp7
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like the expanion idea as you don't realy have to do much as long as theres skirmishes and the ability to train mulitple units im in

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wtf? All C&C games have the ability to train multiple units. Have you even played C&C95?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think he means queue up units, rather than clicking 1 at a time when the unit before gets finished

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh. In that case, forget it. This is C&C95. Adding an entire queues logic in it is not really my idea of "not having to do much".

IcySon55
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We can conclude that just about any feature not already in the game will be a pain in the arse if not impossible to add. Anyone thinking otherwise must be day dreaming.

Then again, use of Syringe and somebody to spend the time to create a C&C95 library could probably get many things done. TD++ anyone? #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could be only Nyerguds
he basicly IS TD #Tongue

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TD++ would still require someone with fast knowledge of the game, and no offense to Nyer, he still needs my help in areas.

But he would be the best candidate for it...

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Byt Hyper doesnt want to do it for me, claiming TD "is my game" #Tongue

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well you got to TD before me, so really, by unwritten laws, i cant touch TD #Tongue

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You just want me to do the actual programming so you don't have to :p

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Err, i thought we decided that i do RA and you do TD, dont blame me if you cant get something done xD

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have yet to see a functional RA upgrade from you :p

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon