Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Buying a desktop, suggestions please
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2 [57 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject:  Buying a desktop, suggestions please Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I figure that the best way to get a desktop is to build it from the ground up, I'm looking for suggestions on were the best place is to do that.

I'm looking to spend between $800 - $1000 USD, must have awesome graphics enough to play Call of duty 4 and C&C3 and stuff, also must have about 2-3 gigs of processing power, for music and graphics programs.
I'd like if it could play Bluerays, though I'm not sure how expensive that technology is for computers right now.
Hard drive, between 150-250 gigs is well enough for me - I'm not planning to store mass amounts of illegally downloaded material on it.
Monitor, I want a HUGE honkin monster with uber resolution, 'nuff said.
I'm gong to try and get XP instead of Vista if I can, unless anyone can convince me that Vista is the way to go.

Recommendations, suggestions, all appreciated greatly

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-400 bucks for dektop
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Aspire-AM1641-U1521A-Desktop-Computer-AM1641U1521A/sem/rpsm/oid/214949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
-180 bucks for a 19 inch monitor
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-P-Series-19-LCD-Monitor-P191WBD/sem/rpsm/oid/193175/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
-80 bucks for a 500w power supply
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Thermaltake-Purepower-500W-Power-Supply-W0100RU/sem/rpsm/oid/191602/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

That brings you to like $660. You have 140-340 for a video card, of course, this is just from a store, if you build one you could get a better deal.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a desktop, suggestions please Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Best place to do this is Newegg. Period.

Team Black wrote:
Monitor, I want a HUGE honkin monster with uber resolution, 'nuff said.

Just one question; how huge are we talking? 24"? 30"? That's pretty important. The cheapest Blu-ray reading drive I can find is about 100 dollars.

[quote="DCoder"]There is no sanity left in this thread.[/quote]

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What about your old one? Can I have it? Even without the HDD will do it!

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll sell my laptop for $500 USD - I bought it 2 years ago for about $800

The monitor I'm more concerned about resolution than size, though obviously the bigger the better. I think I could make do around 19"

The Team Black Index

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

19" is really enough, or else you better can put your TV on your desk #Tongue

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a 19" Monitor/TV #Tongue

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have an 19" one,toughtheard at one of my friends that he has an 24" monitor.

I think that his computer is an monster,not to mention that it has Vista...

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
The monitor I'm more concerned about resolution than size, though obviously the bigger the better. I think I could make do around 19"

Advise on the resolution. The smallest 1920x1200 screen on the 'Egg is a 24", which is about 300 dollars (400 if you go with a good brand). Combined with a Windows XP disc, that puts you at about half the 1,000 dollar limit. Meaning you've got roughly 500-550 dollars to work with before taking shipping into account. Granted, you can still get a decent system that will even take RA3 up to the highest levels doing that, but it would be extremely difficult and after shipping would probably cross 1,000 dollars. If you're satisfied with 1680x1050, then that gives you enough headroom to make the limit since there's a broad range of monitors from great brands covering that resolution at a substantially lower price than the 1920x1200 ones.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1440x900 is what you usually get for a 19" monitor I think. And remember, higher resolutons require more graphical power to make it run. So depending on you video card, that extra resoultion could be the difference between high and medium.

If you really want to burn some money, instead of getting 1 giant monitor, get 2 medium sized monitors. I think almost all graphics cards let you use both of them. Perfect for playing SupCom.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I think in that case, a 1440x900 would be good enough for me, at 19". I'll change my mind on getting a crazy huge monitor.

About how much would I save building it one vs. getting one already made?

The reason I say that is, I'm considering ordering a Dell online, as I have a %10 discount for them, and I've been pretty satisfied with the Dell laptop I'm currently using.

What would be some good brands to get?

The Team Black Index

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you feel more comfortable buying rather than building, be warned that it's extremely rare to find a pre-built system that comes with a good monitor, reliable/efficient power supply, AND a good graphics card for the price range you've set.

Also note that building over buying allows you to get a good, efficient, reliable power supply that will provide any additional juice for upgrades, and you can get whatever case you want. These to me make it more than worth building over buying.

Aside from all that, here's what I've put together for you;

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=6957374

Taking the Blu-ray reader out (if you don't mind not having one) would allow a better CPU, case, and probably power supply. Though that configuration like that should suit you just fine; after shipping it falls 2 dollars short of the 1000 limit.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, that looks great. I think what I'll do though is ditch the blu ray for a 200 or 250 gig HD, 3 gigs of processing power, and a better power supply.
Would you mind putting that in for me?

I'm going to guess that blu ray will cost about half as much in the next couple years, in which case I'll buy it then and add it to the rig.. I can wait a while.

The Team Black Index

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

To be honest, blu-ray isn't really worth getting, by the time DVDs are being phased out streaming/downloading content from the internet will probably be the way forward. Unless you've got loads of blu-ray discs that you want to watch of course, but in this case I pity you.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

agreed. The technology is expensive, and right now I don't even own any blu-ray movies

The Team Black Index

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
3 gigs of processing power

Here's a tidbit; Gigahertz doesn't matter anymore when it comes to multi-core CPUs. The core architecture of the CPU is what gives it power. Intel proved that when they introduced the Core 2 Duo/Quad processors, and they're going to do it again with Core i7 this fall. But I have completed a similar set of changes; Blu-Ray reader has been dropped, the PSU is now an Antec 650-watt (which I would hop on before the price goes back up, it's an incredible unit for how much you'd pay) and the CPU is now a Core 2 Duo E8400. I also swapped the case for something that may be easier to work with. Just go back to the wish list link (I've updated the page) and add all to cart. Final price with shipping is $992.15 (well, shipping to me anyway; you're very lucky Newegg decided again not to charge tax for New York). So you should be set now.

Last edited by Sir Modsalot on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well that sounds good, I appreciate it.
I'll probably order it this weekend after I get my paycheck.

The Team Black Index

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:

O Rly? #Tongue

Im saving up for dual 24" widescreens Very Happy

Oh the joys of getting things at trade though my work. Yay!

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can also get this computer very cheap nowadays:

It's the DPS (Data Proccessing System Laughing)

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't wait to play Crysis on that thing.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't wait to see Crysis on this thing. Very Happy

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol, after an hour of proccessing, they get the first pixel.

Average monitor; 30 frames per second

1 pixel per hour: 480,000 hours to get an 800x600 screen, or roughly 1/17,280,000,000 frames per second.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hyper wrote:
Dutchygamer wrote:

O Rly? #Tongue

Im saving up for dual 24" widescreens Very Happy

Oh the joys of getting things at trade though my work. Yay!

Not everybody has enough room for double 24" monitors when there's another pc on the same desk #Tongue

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So put it under the desk off to the side. #Tongue

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am tempted to make a picture with that huge mainframe under a desk...but I wont.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, somehow the quantities for some of the parts went to 10 instead of 1..
How do I edit back the list there?

The Team Black Index

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's taken care of, I'm the one managing the list. Just message me on MSN about updates or problems regarding this.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is taking a while, I want to wait till I have a credit card to buy this PC, as a large purchase like this will be good for credit history..

I found this monitor that has a higher res and a lower price than the one you chose. Would it be better to get this instead, or is acer not a good bran to get?

The Team Black Index

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dunno about Acer. I've heard that their laptops are bad, but then, a laptop ain't a screen... I'd advice Iiyama if it's not all to expensive.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got an Acer, and no problems with it. I highly recommend it.

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure, I guess, go for the Acer.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ibuypower.com

I'm using it to build mine. my total cost, with a GeForce 9600GTX, AMD 6000+ Dual Core, 4 gigs of RAM, plus a nice case, all comes out, with shipping, to about $1012.35 US. Now, if I cut that down to 2 gigs of RAM, and an AMD 5600+ Dual Core, I can get a 21" Widescreen with it for just under 1100. Smile

PLUS, you can custom build it the way YOU want it. I'd go with AMD, as I find the Intel ones tend to be more expensive, ESPECIALLY when you get into quad cores.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acer's screens are good. Choose 'em. Smile

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AntiHero wrote:
ibuypower.com

I'm using it to build mine. my total cost, with a GeForce 9600GTX, AMD 6000+ Dual Core, 4 gigs of RAM, plus a nice case, all comes out, with shipping, to about $1012.35 US. Now, if I cut that down to 2 gigs of RAM, and an AMD 5600+ Dual Core, I can get a 21" Widescreen with it for just under 1100. Smile

PLUS, you can custom build it the way YOU want it. I'd go with AMD, as I find the Intel ones tend to be more expensive, ESPECIALLY when you get into quad cores.

List of addressing points:

1. There's no such thing as a 9600GTX. As someone who's hawk-eyed the video card market for the past 7 and a half years, I would know.

2. I've put together another "wish list" showing that through the 'egg, you can get a slightly more powerful system (55nm 9800GT) manually done, with keyboard, mouse, speakers, and an excellent 21.6" monitor, for what I imagine is a little cheaper. Cart page: http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/2065/1224787861537he3.png You might have tax charged from them, or shipping might be different, I dunno. But it shouldn't be more than a 100 dollar difference.

3. AMD dominates the sub-$150 market, sure, but Intel's quads, especially the Q6600, beat the living hell out of AMD for stock performance, run cooler, and have much higher overclocking limits. The Q6600 is going for about $190, and even now still beats all of AMD's quads, barring an overclocked 9850 or 9950 Black Edition. The Core 2 Duo E8500 is the best dual-core. There's literally nothing better in that market segment for the price, and the only better stock dual-core CPU is the E8600, which costs substantially more.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well I appreciate getting everything together, though on Black Friday I got too good of a deal..
HP desktop 600 gigs ROM, 6 gigs RAM, 19" color display 1680x1050 monitor with an HDMI input, printer, mouse, and keyboard.. All for $600 - half of the original price! Very Happy
(I only had to overcome my vista phobia)

The Team Black Index

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did you have to trample a shop owner to get that system? #Tongue

(Seriously, you americans never cease to amaze/shock me... wtf man. Truly a strange country... #Tongue)

MT
General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only $600? wow, nice deal you got Smile

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Trampling only happens in Wal Mart. Seriously, that's the WORST place to be on black Friday.. and, there really isn't anything good in there anyways Confused

I went to Best Buy to get this, with my roommate and his bro. They were there since thursday evening, and camped in a tent the whole night. The store gave out vouchers for the best offers to whoever got them first - my roommate got the voucher for me so I could get this desktop.. It was well worth the trouble, and quite an experience!

The Team Black Index

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

probably could have gotten better from newegg mate

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sirmod's newegg list was about $800, and as good as it was, about 1/4 of the capabilities of the one I just bought.
Plus I didn't have to wait for it to ship, or assemble it- BLAM plug it in, there it is #Tongue

The Team Black Index

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Black Friday deals turn out interesting systems for the money, to be quite honest, however I really should have advised against in-store pre-built systems for the reason that they always come with a lot of needless crap you'll never use, or cheaply-built accessories. Or both.

That aside, full spec list, if you would please.

Phobonaut wrote:
(Seriously, you americans never cease to amaze/shock me... wtf man. Truly a strange country... #Tongue)

Strange? Try South Korea if you want strange. Them and Japan have always stated the obvious through their technology and culture that it'll take decades for us to catch up... if we want to. #Tongue

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sir Modsalot wrote:
Strange? Try South Korea if you want strange. Them and Japan have always stated the obvious through their technology and culture that it'll take decades for us to catch up... if we want to. #Tongue

we f*cking want to but our goddamn gov'ts dont. f*ck i wanna live in JP ;_;

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JP? Jurrassic Park?

It's amazing how stuff goers down over time. Almost exactly 1 year ago, for 700 bucks I got a system with 19inch 1440x900 monitor, 3 gigs of ram, a 500gig hard drive, peripheals, and I forget the exact type, but a dual core proccessor. (Not to mention intergratded graphics that could run TW). Now you get more for less...go figure.

Anyways, Team, you look like you have a very messy room Very Happy

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

$600 dollars for such a system? Damn, I'm going to import from there xD

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there were only 6 of these in the whole store. My roommate waited 12 hours in line, so he could get the best deals. He told me he elbowed a guy in the gut to get the voucher for me, though I don't really believe him..

Trust me though, stuff like this don't come often.. or easy!

The Team Black Index

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You're a _pretty_ lucky guy there, TB. #Tongue Well, I guess fists don't solve problems, but elbows do...

Von Kriplespac
General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
you can also get this computer very cheap nowadays:

It's the DPS (Data Proccessing System Laughing)

Sir Modsalot wrote:

Can't wait to see Crysis on this thing. Very Happy

I can't wait to play Crysis on this. #Tongue

Especially on this for memory!

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
there were only 6 of these in the whole store. My roommate waited 12 hours in line, so he could get the best deals. He told me he elbowed a guy in the gut to get the voucher for me, though I don't really believe him..

Trust me though, stuff like this don't come often.. or easy!

So what's the full detailed spec list? Exact CPU model? Graphics card? Confused Most importantly, identify how much power the power supply can provide, and through CPU-z, identify the motherboard. These 2 allow me to determine how much further the system can scale. 6 gigs of RAM tells me one of 2 things; it's a Core i7 system, or it's an oddly-configured 64-bit Windows system.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the CPU is an NVIDIA geforce 6150 SE. To my understanding, it favors video processing and photo editing and such. Yes, it's a 64 bit system.
I can't find the specs for my graphics card, partially because I don't know where to look and partially I don't feel assed to find out right now.
If it plays Half Life 2, Call of Duty 4 and the newest C&C games, I'm satisfied.
Since it's a desktop, as opposed to a laptop, it should be easy enough to upgrade if needed.

The Team Black Index

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
the CPU is an NVIDIA geforce 6150 SE.

That's your graphics card. Which is integrated. You'll need a dedicated card if you want to play any new(er) games at anything higher than the bare minimum graphics settings. If you have enough money left over, order this and you'll be set for games. So next, hop up a couple posts and get CPU-z, and let me know what CPU and motherboard you have. It's a stand-alone EXE, requiring no setup; though you do have to extract all of the files first so it can work properly. You simply run the EXE and it shows what you have.

Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon