Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Modding things with FA2
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
deputy865
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject:  Modding things with FA2
Subject description: Is it possible?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it possible to modify the individual content of FA2 maps that i create?

Lets say i want the grandcannons in this map to shoot twice as fast or whatever. Where can i get the files to mess around with this stuff just for the individual maps?

I remember doing it to the game, but i modified the WHOLE game and not just individual maps.

Thanks,
Shane

Apex
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Open the map in wordpad and add in the rules changes you want manually.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or while the map is open in FA2, click EDIT>INI Editing and then import its weapon's INI entry and modify it.

ORCACommander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do not suggest Shakar's method because it is very easy to make mistakes

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everyone has their way of doing things #Tongue

deputy865
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

when i click on <open> and use wordpad, it opens its but its just a massive character jumble. Doesnt show individual things.. Im sure im doing it wrong somehow.

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As in a bunch of random letters, right?

If so, just put in the INI entry of what ever you are editing at the bottom of the file or so, and edit it there. The most common areas I see this happens to be in TS, but it's the same pretty much.

deputy865
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea just a bunch of random stuff.

I dont know any of the INI's..

I do remember though that when i modded my whole game, EVERYTHING showed up on a word pad. I could edit everything from how much money you get at the start to superweapons. Thats what im looking for except for each map and not the whole game.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, no, no, no!

If you see a large character jumble its because you opened it in the wrong program. Use Notepad not Wordpad.

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WTF, Aro... that doesn't change anything.

And you guys do realise that the big jumble is most likely [IsoMapPack5] or [OverlayPack] , right?

Not that it should be repeated once again, but all he needs to do is open the rules and copy, paste, edit the stuff into the beginning or the end of the map. Barring a brain freeze, that should be sufficient to get him started.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It Does D. When I Open maps in WordPad it appears in a large character Jumble where-as notepad appears in the proper fashion. The Jumble not being [IsoMapPack5] and or [OverlayPack], but random numbers and symbols such as "%", "+", "~" etc.

deputy865
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where can i find the rules at?

MT
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In maps, all you have to do is open them in notepad. You can then edit it like an .ini

Write, or find (Ctrl+f), the section you want to change (don't write it again if its already there), and any tags you write will override/add to what is there in the primary rules, when you play the map.

For example, if in a map I wanted flaktroopers to be unbuildable, I'd write in a map:

[FLAKT]
TechLevel=-1

And it would override the TechLevel to -1 in the falk trooper's section, making it unbuildable.

You should do this writing at the end of the map, so you don't screw anything up in the map's main data (mysterious IEs are terrible).

Doing this editing in maps requires some expirence in editing the main rules file, and to do this you must...

1. Go to this site's utilities section, download XCC mixer.
2. In it, search (Ctrl+f) rules.ini (rulesmd.ini for YR)
3. Use the updated (patched) rules if you patched your game.

Apex
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want to use new names without seeing "MISSING:", try using the string editor to look through the list of names to give it an actual one.

And about using wordpad, "look."
It also works differently on some computers because if I use notepad it looks like garbled up data.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well that would explain it, though I'm not the only one with this problem, I've seen it before. (I'd link it but TiberiumWeb is down and obviously where the problem was discussed).

deputy865
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea i dont really want to mess with that INI editing in the map.

The way i did it before was i was able to open the game content into a note pad and i could see and edit everything. Thats all i want to do with a map. Im havin trouble finding that XCC mixer. Can i get a link?

Sorry i suck at this Rolling Eyes Laughing

Shane

Shakar
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In the topic Modding Tools in the editing section is where you get XCC Mixer #Tongue

But yes, what you should do is finish making your map, trigger it and all, THEN open it in notepad and taking entries from the Rules.INI file and pasting them at the bottom of the map, editing what you want to change. Then, your map will be done. Very Happy

drizzt_dourden
GDI Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: map Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have PhotoShop CS3 there is a program that allows you to open scripts, you can use this program to open your map in a text file and the info is nice and neat looking.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why use PS to open a map/ini file when you can use goddamn NotePad (which is free too) for the same job???

Apex
General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You bump an old topic with useless information about a program that cost ALOT of $$$. If you use Photoshop over Word/Notepad, you lose my sympathy. And why use PS for standard INI's(I'm assuming you do) when the default application is Notepad.

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: map Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

drizzt_dourden wrote:
If you have PhotoShop CS3 there is a program that allows you to open scripts, you can use this program to open your map in a text file and the info is nice and neat looking.

Topic was set up last year- they've moved on. Plus, why would you want to use photoshop for this kind of work anyway? Use Notepad.

Locked as usual.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon