Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:58 pm
All times are UTC + 0
1.4 Development topic
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject:  1.4 Development topic
Subject description: Discussion of development goes here, since it is not worth keep it private.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Current developpers:

Banshee
Task: Recoding the rendering code (at the moment, playing with mesh and the way it builds from voxel sections) [In Progress]
Task 1: Coding the normals class. [Completed at Rev 45]

Diggsey
Current Tasks:
Task 1: Fix the bug where the cross is in the wrong position if the view is reversed [Completed at Rev 37]
Task 2: Investigating normals (visualising how a normal index relates to a normal vector) [On Hold]
Task 3: Fixing copy and paste bug [Completed at Rev 38]
Task 4: Working on a measuring tool, as suggested by quite a few people. [Completed at Rev 38]

Roaches
Current Tasks:
Task 1: Working on short cuts.

All development progress should be posted here and in the SVN logs.

If you wanna help to code the project, post here or email me at bansheeppm[at]hotmail[dot]com.

Last edited by Banshee on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 10 times in total

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Completed Task 1 Smile

Current Task:
Investigating normals (visualising how a normal index relates to a normal vector)

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm updating the progress as I know.

Quote:
Diggory says:
ok, I found out that the normals go in a spiral around the sphere as you increase the index
Banshee | Carlos (Any suggestions for OS BIG Editor?) says:
cool
Diggory says:
being a spiral doesn't really help much #Tongue
Diggory says:
so I decided to look into that clipboard feature
Diggory says:
adding the data in two formats

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also remember the darken/ lighten brush if you haven't put it in already, that would be a very useful tool!

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Diggsey will fix as many bugs as possible, while I'll recode the renderer, so I can expand it later with model export functions and HVA functionalities with a proper preview for it.

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, this last fix was very annoying XD

I spent about an hour converting code from C++ to Delphi which converted a bitmap to a DIB so I could make it add the DIB to the clipboard, in the hope that being a "Device Independent Bitmap" it would still maintain 32 bit colour depth.

So, I eventually finished the whole new unit, only to find it made no difference whatsoever!
Then I realised the simple solution and changed the transparent colour from 140,170,235 to 140,170,239 (a colour representable in 16 bits) and and in 5 seconds it all works!

This was mainly to make sure that you could copy stuff to/from paint while still retaining transparency.

My next task is to make a custom clipboard format for copy/pasting in VXLSE III to keep all data, including normals.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

with the custom format, we'd still be able to post the color data into other programs like paint though, of course. Right?

The Team Black Index

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Team Black
Yes, with the windows clipboard, you can put data in it in as many formats as you like at the same time.
When you paste it, the receiving program requests data in a particular format. For example, when you paste in paint, paint asks windows for clipboard data containing a bitmap.
VSEIII will add data in both bitmap format and this custom format, so that other programs can access it.

When you paste in VSEIII, it will first check if there is data in the custom format, and if there is, use that. Otherwise, it will ask for data in a bitmap format, and will work the way it did before.

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, I've finished adding the custom format Very Happy

- Paste/Paste Full use the custom format if there is data in that format available, otherwise reverting to the old method.

- Cut/Copy now add data to the clipboard in both bitmap format, and the custom format.

edit:
Can't submit to SVN yet because it is still being moved to a new server :/

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Task 4:
I'm currently working on a measuring tool, as suggested by quite a few people.

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Finished making a measuring tool Very Happy

@Banshee
FormMain.pas is getting quite large now (~5,000 lines) and development on it is becoming impossible! (my comp is not that fast, and I get pauses every 30 seconds of about 5-10 seconds when I can't write because the editor is doing something)

Is it possible to move some of the code into a separate file somehow?

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Customizable shortcut keys would be nice Very Happy

Quote:
Everybody knows a mod that doesn't update every ten seconds is dead.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've used bigger form mains on weak computers here and I had no problems. But we can try to split some of this code into other files soon. I'll start doing it once the SVN returns. The only problem is that we'll only see it back online when they move every site to the new server. That should take more than a week. Be patient.

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a screenshot showing the measuring tool Very Happy

(Notice the information in the status bar)

VXLSEIIIScreeny.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.36 KB
 Viewed:  30464 Time(s)

VXLSEIIIScreeny.PNG

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that I like #Tongue

Quote:

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've updated the first post. Btw, Digg, post everything you are doing here.

In order to avoid future code repetition, I've started to recode the normals in a whole new class (TNormals). I know that you may think that it will mess up with everything else, but don't worry. The initial code will be compatible with the current one. Once I update the code of the rest of the program to support it, I'll take the compatibility down. I'm halfway done already, but I have to interrupt to go to my work.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm impressed with the measuring tool. But I can't describe it because Crash has copyright.

Diggsey
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BTW, the measuring tool can do any angle, and the ends snap to the nearest voxel #Tongue

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Normals class is finished. I'll still thinking if I should reform all the way the program stores data (which I was wanted to do for a while) or resume my work on the mesh. So far I'm going with the mesh.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice! downloaded.

The Team Black Index

Roaches
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ya banshee, since you got the measuring tool operational you can modify that tool a bit to make it work as a FLH finder as well by using IcySon55's FLH calculations...

IcySon55 wrote:
I have done some research into FLHs for both TS and RA2. by my crazy calculations, you can find the FLH for a unit by simply counting voxels and doing a little math.

RA2 voxel to FLH ratio: 4.2666666666666666666666666666667
TS voxel to FLH ratio: 5.3333333333333333333333333333333 (This is untested)

Now for a mini tutorial (Static turret voxel):

(Perform these steps in VXLSEIII)
1. Start counting the number of voxels from the center of the model to the end of the muzzle.
2. Count the number of voxels from the bottom of the model to the height of the muzzle.

(Perform these steps on any calculator)
3. Multiply both of the numbers of voxels by the corresponding game ratio you are using. (RA2/TS)

Example (made up numbers):
Howitzer tank voxel:
Forward = 25
Lateral = 0 (Since the barrel is usually centered, this is always zero)
Height = 12
multiply them by the Ratio:
Forward = 106
Lateral = 0
Height = 51

These numbers would be a good basis to start off your trial and error testing. There is more math to this that includes factoring in the voxel dot distance ratio, but I'm not going to explain it now.

Quote:

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still focused on the renderer and I've been rewriting some bits of the program to make the code more reusable. I've recently done a new class that maps the volume and surface of the voxel to be used on the new renderer, autonormals tools and remove redundant voxels. I'll port it to these features in the next days. Unfortunately, I cannot commit my changes because the SVN is down. But it's just a matter of time until it returns.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum