Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 am
All times are UTC + 0
Sweetness, you can have more than one starting unit
Moderators: DaFool, Dutchygamer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject:  Sweetness, you can have more than one starting unit Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There is a tag for the starting unit in generals that reads " StartingUnit0 = " and I have never really payed much attention to the 0, until today when I tested it. I added StartingUnit1,2, and 3 tags, and they worked ingame, so guess what, classic amounts of starting units are back in! I'm guessing that I can have 10 total, (0-9 is what I am assuming. If it was more it would be 00-99 right?). Which brings me to the next question, How am I gonna balance these?

10 Units - 1 for the dozer, which leaves me with 9. I should use a combo of basic infantry and tanks.

Conscript ............100
GI ......................200
Initiate.................200
Peacekeeper........200
Imperial Warrior...150
Rifleman..............100 (was 80, but really?)

The common demoninator for that is 600.

Medium Tank........700
Heavy Tank..........950
Grizzly Tank.........700
Rhino Tank...........900
Lasher Tank..........700
Guardian Tank......950
Hammer Tank.....1000
Tsunami Tank.....1000

This one is a little more tricky. But lets just 4 tanks for the light tanks group and 3 for the heavy.

MT
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome... Its unfortunate that there is no (AFAIK) control to choose this in the game anymore.

Perhaps then, when balancing is done, I suggest: a poll for a value for all to agree on Very Happy

JJ_
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think you should use combat units as start units. It is kinda unnecessary and it's not really possible to make all the start units balanced.

That is based on my experience with Shockwave start units.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like if you get Towned at the beginning, JJ? #Tongue

Hmm...I think you should first balance things out before you decide the starting units #Tongue

JJ_
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, maybe a special unit obtainable via start units and Reinforcement Pads (if you decide to keep them) only. They would have different models and all, but their stats are pretty much the same, except for small faction specific things and upgrades.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I personally like starting units, like in YR and such, and they worked fine. I don't really understand what you are suggesting; like a unique unit per side?

I was thinking of using the method I am using now to have the (starting) tanks turn into the specific tanks as the starting MCV turns into the specific MCV.

Also, I haved tried editing any of the menus yet, but I am sure that thre could be some options not seen. I know for fact, that online games have the option to limit the factions to the original three, so there's a small chance that the starting units option might be in there.

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Starting units is a complicated thing, I personally would say that the less used not so powerful units should be started with, just to remind the player of their existance.

As for examples:
-USA: Avenger,
-China: ECM tank,
-GLA: Battle bus,
-Russians: mine-layer,
-Soviets: Flak Track,
-Union: Bullfrog,
-Britain: Ranger,
-Allies: Blackhawk helicopter?,
-Blue: Riptide APC,
-Yuri: Gattling Tank,
-Japan: Sudden Transport,

At least some units with minimal offensive capabilities, that don't form a too bigga threath.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ECM Tank is out of the question. Disable someone's dozer at the start of the game? No. Avengers with Hellfires can kill dozers and stationary workers. Rangers can kill dozers and workers. Blackhawk is a flying ranger. Gattling tank will kill dozers and workers. The Riptide ACV will kill dozers and workers. Minelayers will kill workers. Flak Tracks will kill workers.

MT
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think the 5 or so light infantry we have now are good enough. They generally move slow enough that the enemy could at least build a basic anti infantry defence, or a barracks and more soldiers, before the infantry will arrive to attack. So they are used pretty much for scouting and garrisoning key points.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah. right now the starting units are 600 dollars worth of basic infantry per side. This will allow the player to scout a little bit while the first few buildings are constrcuted, and have atleast some kind of little defense for an early rush if there are garrisons nearby.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon