Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Questions to the Team.
Moderators: Tiberian Odyssey Active Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 6 of 6 [276 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so why don't you mods lock this sub-forum then ?

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

Holland
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
No, TI and TO do not mix.
Both mods aren't one of those stupid script kiddies slapped together ripped assets conglomerations.

@Holland:
i would rather see it stay in the hands of Morpher, Orac and the other staff than giving it someone who will rip it apart to include all kinds of random assets into a half baked TS.
You also have no idea how much is left to do to finish this.
Many buildings don't have damage frames, animations, etc. The 3D models of them are split among many absent members, so there is probably no other way to finish them than starting from scratch again.

TO is so long a closed project, that i would rather wait another 20 years to then see a finished release, than a half assembled early alpha version.

I would encourage the current Mod-leader to assemble a list of things that are still left to do and post that list public. Anyone willing to get this mod finished can then work through the list and prove himself capable, before allowed to join the Staff.

Thank you lko for clarifying that. I understand now.
Yes. Please list it mod-leader, if you read this. There are many people that want to help, even I know a few that are very capable.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah hell, I have the next couple of months free and about twelve years of 3DS design under my belt. I'm gonna see if I can't revamp the GDI side again. I wanna at least polish off some of the visual stuff. This mod has a VERY strong framework and we are all SO close. I'll gather what I can of the staff and see what we can do. This mod has been in development for damn near two decades. I'm sure we'll get it done, we just need some steam behind it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Dynamo
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be amazing! Best of luck to you and the team Smile

NimoStar
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberian Odyssey should be the poster boy for development hell.

Release a beta. It is rather likely you will lose the assets and code as it happened to many other mods, and then it would truly be impossible.

Even LKO and others admit it
Quote:
The 3D models of them are split among many absent members (...) have to start from scratch

This woudn't happen if they had been released even as unfinished. Someone could pick them up. Hell, chances is someone else would have finished them.

Closed development kills mods. This should be a poster example. The "Missing" stuff is because of the lack of releases and utter "secrecy" of the internal workings.

Despite my criticisms of OpenRA, at least they are open with their code - this is what allows development. Mods in general should adopt the open source model. It is what guarantees progress over time and not regression because of asset splits, people gone and lack of documentation.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NimoStar wrote:
stuff.

Well that's why I'm organizing what left of the team and putting together a clear roadmap and plan of action to finish this thing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NimoStar wrote:
This woudn't happen if they had been released even as unfinished. Someone could pick them up. Hell, chances is someone else would have finished them.

wrong, neither TI nor DTA have any of my 3d models. They only got the SHP result.
An unfinished release would not have prevented the private 3d models being lost.
And it's a modders right to keep stuff like 3d models private if they want to. After all, with the 3d model you can do a lot more than just with the SHPs. I wouldn't wonder if idiots and rippers like shortbus would grab and try to sell them as their own work, if they are made public. There are many sides that successfully sell the most shitty models for 10$ a piece.
Once the 3d model is out, there is also no way to prove anymore, who's the original creator.

Another issue is, that working with someone else's 3d model can be very frustrating:
-bad normals, sloppy texturing, sloppy modeling, bad rigging
I've downloaded a few models myself in the past, to see how they were done and in the end was faster doing the model from scratch on my own than trying to find and fix all the bugs
or trying to get used to the completely different modeling approach and try to get it fit in my camera, light and animation setup.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In addition, NimoStar has been known to rip things from projects too, so I definitely don't feel comfortable releasing ANY of Odyssey's assets until the mod is launched.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you finish this dead mod, that'd be crazy amazing, but, I can't imagine why you'd bother.

So many leeches for assets in this dead era.

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTS, if you choose to do this, a lot of people (myself included) will be ecstatic.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lord Firestorm wrote:
daTS, if you choose to do this, a lot of people (myself included) will be ecstatic.

I am. I've got a staff discord and we are bring a few more on board to finish this beast once we get a solid roadmap for development.

Lord Firestorm
Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTS wrote:
Lord Firestorm wrote:

I am. I've got a staff discord and we are bring a few more on board to finish this beast once we get a solid roadmap for development.

Holland
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NimoStar wrote:

Despite my criticisms of OpenRA, at least they are open with their code - this is what allows development. Mods in general should adopt the open source model. It is what guarantees progress over time and not regression because of asset splits, people gone and lack of documentation.

I agree Nimo. With openess comes trust and respect too, in my opinion. Every person has their own uniqueness and can form a ripple. Even young kids, with no modding skills they can even create some sweet idea out of excitement when they see how easy it is to be a part of some creation in the game, and so become a joyfull asset for everyone. Of course humanity today is the outcome of centuries of suffering and so might misuse open projects, you can go feed that energy and so become the same, or understand and thus forgive the unconscious behaviour, and stay focussed on what matters. It will develop from pure love then and so will sell it self. Lol

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberian Odyssey is not and has never been dead.
Rip Van Winkle, perhaps, but never dead.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Epsilon
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does the team have a Discord for fans of the mod to pay a visit to track development of the mod by any chance? If you do ignore me, but if not I suggest creating one to both revive the communities faith in seeing this mod finished and to raise development morale to speed up development.

Holland
Grenadier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Epsilon wrote:
Does the team have a Discord for fans of the mod to pay a visit to track development of the mod by any chance? If you do ignore me, but if not I suggest creating one to both revive the communities faith in seeing this mod finished and to raise development morale to speed up development.

Yeah please make a discord server  Very Happy

Epsilon
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah what he said.

Holland
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deleting this message

Last edited by Holland on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Holland
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh i see there is fear for a half-baked mod,

and fear for asset leechers.

Why?

isnt creations meant for enjoyment?

truefeel
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holland wrote:
Oh i see there is fear for a half-baked mod,

and fear for asset leechers.

Why?

isnt creations meant for enjoyment?

It is meant for enjoyment. If the people involved were doing this for free and absolutely hated it, this project would never have existed in the first place.

But that's no excuse to let someone else profit on the things they put heart and passion into. Just because they love doing something, doesn't mean they are naive.

The developers have no contract whatsoever with anybody to finish it. If it finishes, it finishes and you'll get to enjoy it. If it doesn't, tough luck, but life gets priority.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can speak for myself, I have every intention to finish it.
Although I just had a kid, and work is taking over my life, but I'm always looking for the opportunity to add a little something to TO. Maybe on my next deployment I may have some time.

The mod is almost complete, but the things that are incomplete are almost show-stopper status. We know the first release is going to be far from perfect, but it's got to at least be reasonably fluid and fun.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mind to tell me which part of the mod is incomplete?

Harv
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been following this mod for over a decade, I'm finally starting to think this sleeping price has died...

View user's profile Send private message Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why not here ?

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

McPwny
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
NimoStar wrote:

wrong, neither TI nor DTA have any of my 3d models. They only got the SHP result.
An unfinished release would not have prevented the private 3d models being lost.
And it's a modders right to keep stuff like 3d models private if they want to. After all, with the 3d model you can do a lot more than just with the SHPs. I wouldn't wonder if idiots and rippers like shortbus would grab and try to sell them as their own work, if they are made public. There are many sides that successfully sell the most shitty models for 10$ a piece.
Once the 3d model is out, there is also no way to prove anymore, who's the original creator.

Another issue is, that working with someone else's 3d model can be very frustrating:
-bad normals, sloppy texturing, sloppy modeling, bad rigging
I've downloaded a few models myself in the past, to see how they were done and in the end was faster doing the model from scratch on my own than trying to find and fix all the bugs
or trying to get used to the completely different modeling approach and try to get it fit in my camera, light and animation setup.

i publish almost all of my 3d models because i dont care if people use them. in fact, i encourage people to. the act of publishing them also proves definitively that they are mine, not that it matters. furthermore, if i had access to your
models when i worked on TI, it would have helped me to replicate the textures and geo style that you used to improve the mod. probably in the form of a nod conyard. same story with globotech. if bu7loos had shared his models then
it would have been a nominal task to get globotech playable but instead the dev team was stuck with half functional .shp's and struggled to move development further for years. TO is the polar opposite; they have the assets but are
stuck in a perpetual loop of "its not getting released because not enough devs, and there arent enough devs because no one can contribute to an unreleased mod". its sad. pathetic, even.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 6 of 6 [276 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon