Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
Polygon/vertice/edge/whateva limit/recommendation for models
Moderators: DaFool, Dutchygamer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject:  Polygon/vertice/edge/whateva limit/recommendation for models Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be nice to know what the recommendation or limit is for the game, I remember Dutchy posted something up, but thats buried in the pages somewhere.

I would like to know the limits for:

Infantry
Vehicles
Buildings
Props
-Trees
-Lightposts etc

I'm starting to make some props and I would like to know how detailed they should be, especially the trees. I can make a cone and cylinder for pines trees, but I would like to know if I can 'branch' out, maybe make some other stuff.

Stygs
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

theres something about polys and limits inside the CNC 3 SDK docu, might be usefull:

Quote:
Minimize the number of meshes.
Disable "export transform" on all objects that don't move relative to their parent.
Some objects in C&C Generals ended up with 100-200 separate meshes, this should be more like 10 or less whenever possible. Things that animate relative to each other have to be separate meshes.
The main thing for PC performance is to have the art be in nice big "chunks". If you have a lot of polys / vertices all using the same material and transform (if rigid - skins can use multiple transforms and still be the same 'chunk') then it will be rendered as one 'chunk', or draw call. In many cases, the number of 'chunks' is the limiting factor on performance.
The W3X viewer reports the number of draw calls - artists should have a strict (and low) budget on that number for every object they create.
Keep the number of skinned vertices to a minimum. Skins incur a significant cpu cost in addition to all of the other costs of rendering your object.
Keep the number of vertices to a minimum. The complexity of your model will determine the number of vertices.
On today's hardware, its almost not worth rendering any mesh with fewer than around 200 vertices so don't use lots of low detail meshes; use fewer more detailed meshes.
Using hard edges can increase the vertex count. Smooth everything but the most absolutely necessary hard edges.
Using discontinuous uv-mapping can increase your vertex count. This is often un-avoidable but just be aware that this is another way your model's vertex count goes up.
Always check the vertex count displayed by W3XView or in the export log of the W3X exporter; this is the real vertex count, and don’t rely on the reported count in within Max.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, all though I didn't really understand half of it. Right now I am making trees, and I would like to know how complex to make them. I pulled out a random tree from a .big, and it had 36 faces.

If a machine can run C&C3, could it run the Generals engine that is using the models as complex as c&c3? Ah, what am I kidding, the difference between 30 and 60 polies can't be that bad on my trees.

Apex
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The reason General's trees can pull it off is because most of the tree is flat, textured planes if I remember correctly.I am pretty sure you could get away with 150-200 poly trees. Street posts should be able to have high poly counts just because of how little of them that will be used. Also I was bored...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IIRC there weren't any limits for Gen,but guidelines which were recommended so that lag won't be present, but IMO I think you can ignore them #Tongue

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Give by The_Hunter (RotR and SW Mod leader):
The_Hunter wrote:
infantry 100/400
vehicles 500/900
base defence 600/1500
structures 1000/2000
superweapons 1500/3000

Also, there is some kind of limit: when something has too many polies, the game crashes #Tongue

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like,how many?I'm rather curious to find out which is.

But why the heck to EACH single type of unit have to have a limit?Don't they ALL have the same limit?

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Look, what I gave you are the adviced polycounts Wink Use these for units/structures you use much, or from which many can be at the screen. It's not advisable to give MBT more then 1000 polies because it will lag the game.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Obviously that the game will lag,its a 3D game,but because the polycount is high,that doesn't mean it will necessarily lag,because lag depends rather more on how good your computer is,rather than how big the polycount can be.

PS:I broke the polycount limit long time ago,didn't had any crashes.

Arikado
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat wrote:
I broke the polycount limit long time ago,didn't had any crashes.

The hard polygon limit Dutchygamer is talking about is somewhere upward in the hundreds of thousands if not millions. I wouldn't worry too much.

Deformat wrote:
But why the heck to EACH single type of unit have to have a limit?Don't they ALL have the same limit?

What he posted are not limits. They are recommendations. You obviously don't want a tiny first tiered infantry, which will be created more often and in mass numbers, to have the same or exceed the amount of polygons that a building has.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Worldbuilder will crash when you have a thing that is too complex, although I haven't seen the game crash yet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon