Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:58 am
All times are UTC + 0
[Updated] Soviet Tesla Tank
Moderators: Dutchygamer, Lt Albrecht
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject:  [Updated] Soviet Tesla Tank Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Soviet Science: Doing the Impossible
Yeah right, you nicked it from Tesla's safe, don't get cocky

In the years before the GWWII the Soviet Union made massive advances in technology, from the simple (development of the first Assault Rifle -the AK47) to the massive (the first nuclear weapon). Amongst the Union's most intimidating (and dubiously origined) devices were the "Tesla" weapons, developed using the works of several key scientists (including Tesla Himself) that were either mysteriously appropriated or (as the allies later discovered) coerced from various brilliant minds. The Soviets had a tremendous technological advantage in the initial assault on Europe, blitzing through Eastern Europe at the fastest pace their heavy tanks would allow (about 35-40Km/H). Their invincibility would not last, however. The Allies, bruised and bloodied but nowhere near broken managed to halt the Soviet Steamroller in a series of brilliant Ambushes on the over-confident tank divisions and Commando raids against soviet Supply lines and forward bases.

Nonetheless, Soviet technological prowess was not exhausted, and as the Battle for Europe became more balanced, the soviets sought to tip the balance in their favour. They forced their engineers (both Soviet and not so Soviet) to reduce the size of the Tesla Coil's complicated capacitors and circuitry. Eventually,, the illegitimate son of a scaled up Allied Radar Jammer and a large, evil looking metal dome was born. It's name was the Tesla Tank.

[Blueprints of original Tesla Tank, not mine. Stats do not apply. Props to the BHP team and Google images.]

The idea of being able to throw lightning at one's enemies had been around since before the ancient Greeks, whose main God had the ability to toss thunderbolts at those who displeased or opposed him. This Greek mythology, having overrun the country, may have inspired the Red Army as to their choice of weapons system. Regardless, they still lost the war. At the very gates of Moscow units equipped with Tesla Tanks continued to fight, casting their vicious wrath at Allied advances until overrun. Most of the remaining units were destroyed under the peace treaty, reminiscent of the Treaty of Versailles. In a universe without Hitler, the treaty conditions had later been relaxed, eventually leading to a safe, stable democracy. However, the Russians were not so eager to accept their fall from grace and resented the treaty for years, many scavenging, repairing and hiding examples of supposedly destroyed Soviet Science. When the time came these examples were invaluable in restoring the Red Army.

Nonetheless, weaponry ages, and the all-powerful god of the 50's needed some 'charging up' for the modern era. Enter the solid state computer. Using computing power that could only have been dreamed of with 1950s valve based computers the Tesla Tank's circuitry was redesigned. It was worked out that the maximum energy would be transferred in four shorter, weaker charges, the first would ionise the air, causing the others to follow rapidly down the conductive 'path' left in the air.

The chassis was also outdated, top-heavy with a high profile, it had to go. A new chassis was built designed on the idea of a low profile providing both increased protection through concealment and presenting a smaller target and providing the shortest arc possible for the electrical energy. Thus the "Zeus" Tesla Tank was born.

The crew are centrally placed, with the equipment above and in front of them, access is throuh a rear hatch in the recessed area between the tracks. The tesla tank is indeed a frail vehicle, one of the most frail Soviet units. However, the driver and gunner/unfortunate member of the intelligensia see through several mounted video cameras, behind the slot that Eva pointed out. The coil is operated by a 3d representation of the world generated by a 16-bit computer running a series of algorythms. This is part of the reasion for the Tesla tank's cost as the computer and trained personnel needed to operate it are vital for accuracy, as opposed to the more haphazard and "over-zealous" application of Directed ligtning in the GWWII.

Stats:
Strength: 220
Armour Thickness: Medium (comparable to APC)
Speed: 5
Cost: 1500

Weapon:
quad-charge Ob'yect 521 Tesla capacitor (4x31 damage) with a range of 8 (may increase to 9).

Model by Orac, wall of text by me.

Last edited by Lt Albrecht on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:26 am; edited 3 times in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cooooooooooooooool!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Snowball tank!

Renegangsta
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

snow mobile

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent read, and excellent voxel!

Bravo Orac, I think I'm gonna need some voxelling tips off of you Wink

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The tesla ball is at the front of the tank? IMO would be better at the back.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks pretty mean #Tongue

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aye,MV is starting to shape better than I tought.

Good job guys.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see APB media in here.
http://www.moddb.com/games/red-alert-a-path-beyond/images/blueprints#imagebox
I don't think they would mind, but it may be best to check up on it, or atleast credit the original authors.

The design looks nice, but the question to be asked is where the crew goes, and how do they see?

I really would not want to be placed under that tesla dome, which is where the crew compartment seems to be for me. (you would have to lie prone when operating the vehicle. D: )

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
The tesla ball is at the front of the tank? IMO would be better at the back.

Having read Albrecht's description, I decided that the room for capacitors at the back would require the dome to be at the front.

EVA-251 wrote:
The design looks nice, but the question to be asked is where the crew goes, and how do they see?

I really would not want to be placed under that tesla dome, which is where the crew compartment seems to be for me. (you would have to lie prone when operating the vehicle. D: )

1) This is Soviet Russia. Who the hell cares what happens to your expendable tank crews?

2) Faraday cage and porcelain interior make the inside, below the dome one of the safer locations, as the arc of electricity is directed forwards and over the unusually shielded cockpit.

3) Cameras.

I wouldn't be sure, but I'd guess that the crew would be quite meagre, with only the essentials for operating the tank.

Last edited by Orac on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks kewl! Smile Put a spike plow on the front end of the tank Wink
Meh, its good enough already Smile

partyzanPaulZy
Commander

Location: laptop? ... otherwise the Czech Republic -> south Moravia Posts: long int Posts;

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
1) This is Soviet Russia. Who the hell cares what happens to your expendable tank crews?

Well, but the Coffin Of Three Brothers* was American tank given to WWII USSR... Rolling Eyes
*It burned really well, much better than soviet tanks also crew couldn't escape.

Cameras or protectoscopes (who said it must be just vertical?) solve such problems...

Don't blame the others if you haven't checked your own (in)ability in the first case.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Well, but the Coffin Of Three Brothers* was American tank given to WWII USSR...
*It burned really well, much better than soviet tanks also crew couldn't escape.

LIES AND STALINIST PROPAGANDA.

The M3 grant was moderately popular with the soviet tankers who crewed it. The whole "Grave for seven brothers" thing is of dubious and possibly post-war origin.

And cameras or periscopes would indeed be sufficient.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:

2) Faraday cage and porcelain interior make the inside, below the dome one of the safer locations, as the arc of electricity is directed forwards and over the unusually shielded cockpit.

Bullocks.

1) Tank crews are NOT expendable for the Soviets. The obvious lunacy of this statement is only amplified when you consider how demanding the operation of a Mammoth Tank, Heavy Tank or Tesla Tank is. Heaven forbid we go into the costs that each of these vehicles would bring with them.

My friend, you have soviet tanks and soviet infantry confused. One is expendable, the other isn't. Hell, it was the Allies who treated their tank crews expendable in RA1. How did you accomplish objectives with the Allies in RA1? 5904386093860948604890789045708945780457^546534636346 light tanks, thats how! It didn't matter about how many tanks you lost, because you could replace them easy due to low cost.

2: The cockpit is in the chassis at the very front of the vehicle. This isn't safe at all. First, the only armor protection on the sides is from the track skirts, and the front can be assumed to be very thin as well considering that is where the view port seems to be.

You can say it is has shielding all you want, it can be Chobham-like, Stillbrew, ERA, whatever you want it to be, but the simple fact is you can't have much armor there or you will shift the center of gravity on the vehicle closer to the front, and that just isn't good when going down sloped terrain.
So when a shot hits the front of the chassis, which is the cockpit...baibai.

But its all good. Still a nice looking vehicle.

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...it's a game, oh come on #Tongue Scaling, cockpit placement and such doesn't matter. Though I wonder what's that gap at the back of the TTank for...

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here. I shall sort this.
The crew are centrally placed, with the equipment above and in front of them, access is throuh a rear hatch in the recessed area between the tracks. The tesla tank is indeed a frail vehicle, one of the most frail Soviet units. However, the driver and gunner/unfortunate member of the intelligensia see through several mounted video cameras, behind the slot that Eva pointed out. The coil is operated by a 3d representation of the world generated by a 16-bit computer running a series of algorythms. This is part of the reasion for the Tesla tank's cost as the computer and trained personnel needed to operate it are vital for accuracy, as opposed to the more haphazard and "over-zealous" application of Directed ligtning in the GWWII.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of you get so worked up over absolutely nothing. Neutral

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:

I can only agree Confused

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aro wrote:

Is that what you describe criticism now?

(Tesla Tank is very serious business, I insist!)

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

All I'm saying is that there's no need to make such a huge deal about every spec of realism in a game. Criticism is good, but bringing up every tiny detail about realism really isn't that important in mods and games in my opinion, unless of course the mods aim is pure realism.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
(Tesla Tank is very serious business, I insist!)

Epic Laughing

partyzanPaulZy
Commander

Location: laptop? ... otherwise the Czech Republic -> south Moravia Posts: long int Posts;

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

LIES AND STALINIST PROPAGANDA.

I have heard about this tank more times, I even saw model of that tanquette.

It was caused by structure of those tanks, turret could imprison the crew while whole tank was burning.

I cannot find the right type, maybe it was the T3 Christie which wasn't well armoured, just with only 8 mm panzer.
http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/other/szt3.htm

Don't blame the others if you haven't checked your own (in)ability in the first case.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, you mean the BT series based on the Christie type suspension/design. Soviet made, poorly armoured and damned fast. But easy to kill.

and it's Armour, paul. Panzer=deutsch for armour.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tank's a great soviet piece, Albrecht. Very useful.

And paragraphs? On the internet? Come on. :p

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Walls of text discourage people #Tongue

Thinking of giving it a range buff and a health nerf.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting design but dome on it front make it look a bit weird IMO. however i like your voxel quality. Wink

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile
(Orac, Holy_Master just complimented your voxel, that's equivalent to OVER 9000 normal people).

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

Anyways, Holy Master, the weirdness of the design has two major advantages:
Firstly, it makes it look very obviously different to the other tanks, allowing it to stand out enough to make a visual impact.
Second, The original wall of text said that this Tesla tank could only fire forwards, so orienting the entire chassis towards the front perpetuates that concept.

Thanks everyone, but the only changes I'll be making might be some slight fixes to the normals.

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guess this canl be the cameo:

Last edited by ConMan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've already got a cameo in WIP - I'll finish it off today. Along with a bunch of other things.

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
I've already got a cameo in WIP - I'll finish it off today. Along with a bunch of other things.

Can't wait! Very Happy

L()KI
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Rather high tech looking...eh, still cool.

I mean it doesn't look Soviet to me, bah buts thats not so important it is a mod afterall.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon