Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm
All times are UTC + 0
How To Write A PKT File
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject:  How To Write A PKT File Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spurred because Hogo was asking me about them today. It did occur to me that not everyone knows what this file is or does.

To put it simply, it controls what maps are present in skirmish and multiplayer when they have the MAP extension. This is not necessary with maps that have the MPR or YRM extension.

Anyway, the basic set up is much like that of the vehicles array from the rules in that there is an array with the map objects listed as part of it and then the full object is detailed later.

A PKT is very simple to create: make a new text file and rename it to modname.pkt. The name is not important but it does help with determining the origin of the file.

The file starts with the [MultiMaps] section.

As such;
Code:
[MultiMaps]
1=SOMEMAP1
2=SOMEMAP2
3=SOMEMAP3
... and so on

Then you need to create a definition for the map.

As such;
Code:
[SOMEMAP1]
Description=DESC:SOMEMAP1
CD=0,1,2
MinPlayers=2
MaxPlayers=2
GameMode=standard, meatgrind

[SOMEMAP1] defines the name of your map file. Works the same as graphics linking.

Description specifies which CSF string is used for display in the map list.

CD specifies which disc is required to play the map.
NOTE In the example, I use all 3 and suggest you do the same for sanity.

MinPlayers defines the minimum number of players for this map.
MaxPlayers defines the opposite of MinPlayers. This cannot exceed 8.

GameMode defines the modes, from mpmodes(md).ini, in which this map will be available for play.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Mapping #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge 

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A basic piece of modding for RA2. I've never seen a tutorial or seen questions about this.

Good tutorial. It's helpful to note that having multiple .pkt files causes duplicate listings.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Afaik the pkt was only ever mentioned documentation wise for the assault map pack developer kit.

CD= I think is actually obsolete as CD=0 was the default used in the assault.pkt and I encounter no problems with it.

The GameMode= is the most useful bit of the pkt as it lets you define specific modes where a map will be made avaliable

For example in your mpmodes you have

=GUI:FFAAssault, STT:ModeFFAAssault,MPFreeForAllMD.ini, assault, false

any maps which have GameMode=assault will thus use MPFreeForAllMD.ini or this could be specific e.g. MPCaptureOnlyMD.ini

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon