Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:32 am
All times are UTC + 0
VXLSE III Shaders and ATI video cards.
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject:  VXLSE III Shaders and ATI video cards.
Subject description: I cannot test them on ATI cards.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From the revision 243 onwards, VXLSE III started to use GLSL shaders. At the moment, it only features a phong shader that supports ambient, diffuse and specular effects.

There are a couple of computers here and they all have nVidia video cards. I cannot test these shaders with ATI cards. I've heard that these are more strict when compiling shaders than the ones from nVidia.

So, I hope someone with an ATI card can inform me if it compiles correctly.

If you are willing to help, download the latest beta and make sure you are online when you run the program for the first time, so it can download the shaders for you (no, it's not DRM, I swear Laughing).

Then, load any random voxel and open the 3D preview window or the Modelizer. Once it opens, check the shaders directory.

If it has only 2 files, then it compiled correctly.

If you find files called:

- phong_vertexshader_error.log
- phong_fragmentshader_error.log

Then, please, upload them here, so I can try to figure out what's wrong with it.

These shaders were extensively tested with a nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX and it compiles correctly.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have ATI Radeon HD 4870, and it worked fine with me.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot, Crimsonum. Smile

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im testing on my Radeon X1950

Unrelated but firstly i got a repair dialogue saying I was missing a cursor file which it retrieved - so that was OK

I then got a dialogue saying
Quote:
"Warning: Your hardware does not support GLSL. Models that uses shader effects will not be previewed correctly in this machine."

Followed by

Quote:
"Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000."

The program then opened
I then went to open a .vxl file and got this error message

Quote:
"Access violation at address 0415B74E in module 'vxlse_III.exe'. Write of address 00000078'

and the voxel didnt load

btw just to be a grammar nazi, but the error message should probably read
Quote:
Warning: Your hardware does not support GLSL. Models that use shader effects will not be previewed correctly on this machine

Not a big deal as the original message is still understandable, just thought id point it out Smile

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then, I have a problem that needs to be fixed, because Radeon X1950 does support OpenGL 2.0 and GLSL, according to ATI's site.

Also, lack of shader support wasn't supposed to cause access violations of any kind.

And I've fixed the error message in my end. Thank you for pointing out my grammar mistakes.

Just wondering... are you using the latest drivers?

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the ATI site says his model of vid card supports GLSL then more than likely his drivers maybe out dated.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, his card supports Shader Model 3.0, which is much more than what I use. So, it's either that or the way I'm detecting GLSL support isn't enough. I'm trying to attack both problems.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just out of curiousity I wanted to see if my vid card supports this, The only error that I recieved was at the begining of the install where it said it couldnt find something, but to click ok to download form the internet. I did that and the program started right up, but where do I find the shader files? here is a pic with the 3d viewer open, but i dont see anything for shaders.

VxlseIII.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.03 KB
 Viewed:  8977 Time(s)

VxlseIII.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The message you get at the start will happen to every user, because I've added shaders to the program and nobody downloaded them before. So, don't worry about it, since the program has already downloaded the shader files for you.

You can play with the shader files at the directory /shaders. I've uploaded them as .txt file, which means that any text editor opens them without complaints. It uses the GLSL language, which reminds C.

And, as I can see in your screenshot, the shaders seem to be working correctly in your machine.

Last edited by Banshee on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahhh, I found them. This is sweet Banshee! Keep up the awsome work...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey SMIFFGIG, try the revision 245 and check if it still gives you a message about no GLSL support.

It includes a special tweak for ATI cards to detect fragment shader support.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum