Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Of Computer Failures and Modding
Moderators: EVA-251
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject:  Of Computer Failures and Modding Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Life decided to throw a wrench into my modding plans yesterday; while playing some games, my laptop decided to just stop responding. Permanently. It shut down and wouldn't come back on. No idea why- but motherboard failure is assumed to be cause.

On the bright side, the hard-drive was salvageable, and most of my modding related assets are safe, bar two things:
  • The Site/ directory in my Users folder, which had a hugely updated version of the Star Strike page and all its sub-pages for the next public release.
  • The Star Strike Media/ directory in my Pictures folder, which had every single piece of media I made for the mod, including cameos, unit sketches, voxel profile previews and ingame shots, as well as what was a steadily growing amassing of screenshots for the mod.

Until I have a laptop, Star Strike, as well as any other projects I am working on, IE Zombie Mod, are on complete hold. It may be a month before I have a new laptop and more than a week after that until I am back in action completely.

On the bright side, atleast I'll have a Win7 machine.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy shit man. The Users folder got corrupt? Jeez. At least you didn't lose everything. It'd suck if you had to resort to my copy.

Now on ModDB!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's too bad. Confused

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Corrupted or just encrypted as to not be viewable to computers outside of the one it was on, I don't know, but it is gone.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And another example of why you must backup regularly. Shame to hear EVA-251, hope you can salvage as much as possible.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EVA-251 wrote:
Corrupted or just encrypted as to not be viewable to computers outside of the one it was on, I don't know, but it is gone.

I don't think so unless you have EFS enabled. In that case you could be fucked. You may be able to check by using a file recovery prog.

Now on ModDB!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Titan
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does it give you an error or some sort of message when opening those folders? Windows tends to get fussy about user privileges when connecting a harddrive from another system. I've only dealt with good 'ol XP, but you should be able to give yourself privileges for all files in all subfolders of all protected folders by performing an operation on the partition as listed in your menu of devices in my computer (right click your partition/device/harddrive that's hooked up -> security -> advanced -> owner then change it to your user). If this operation fails during execution, just retry, brute force seems to work #Tongue.

High Templar X
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EVA-251 wrote:

Ten bucks says I could likely recover the data. Ship me the drive and a flash drive and I'll send it back with what you need backed up. Free of charge.... this time. #Tongue

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back from my camping trip..

Dutchygamer wrote:
And another example of why you must backup regularly. Shame to hear EVA-251, hope you can salvage as much as possible.

Thanks. As I said, only those images and the site material was lost (as well as tons of university/irl work but that's not the purpose of this forum). I can recreate the voxel previews and I can do ingames. It actually offers me the opportunity to do things consistently this time.
Cameos are tougher, and I really do miss those, but most of those in the Pictures/ folder happened to be the base versions, not the distribution versions which were saved.

The loss of the site data means I can redo the unit information to be less in-universe information intensive. (that's what the unit profiles are for XD)

@Titan- They simply don't show up on this XP machine, nor do they on a 64 bit Vista machine.

@YA- I never explicitly enabled it, but you never know, considering most laptops/computers come with some things preloaded/set up. All I know is that it's too coincidental that only that folder was lost (and nothing else) for it to be data corruption and completely impossible for someone to have deleted it, given my constant presence.

@HTX- Thanks. We need to finish talking about this. #Tongue

Dubzac
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

its a power unit it has failed, you need a new one its sounds like it is worn. the motherboard doesn't hardly fail.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. You're on. I thought you died because you weren't on MSN. Neutral Good to see you though.

WrathOfLust
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Oi Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well thats too bad! (its probly karma) jk! but yeah havent seen you in some time u hiding from another rematch I take it!(political debates aside lmao)Fix ur comp bro!good luck to ya,laterz.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What the hell was that?

High Templar X
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dubzac wrote:
its a power unit it has failed, you need a new one its sounds like it is worn. the motherboard doesn't hardly fail.

That is so wrong I can't believe it.

Revolutionary
Commander

Location: Scotland, starting a Revolution Cameo: metricon. Posts:???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

High Templar X wrote:
Dubzac wrote:

That is so wrong I can't believe it.

How do you know it is so wrong, have you personal Tested EVA-251's PC

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No.He has the same knowledge of the event that dub does and a crapton more knowledge about computers, their components and their workings.

Revolutionary
Commander

Location: Scotland, starting a Revolution Cameo: metricon. Posts:???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PSU's Fail and its possible (unlikly unless it is very old, stressed or someone has messed with it) and ,if its so wrong a suggestion he needs to bloody well wake up and recognise it is a valid suggestion rather than all this no Fen f*cktard doesnt agree so your wrong or missinformed.

Last edited by Revolutionary on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ghost of Christmas Past
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
PSU's Fail and its possible (unlikly unless it is very old and , so if its so wrong a suggestion he needs to bloody well wake up and belive it is a valid suggestion no more of this Fen fucktard doesnt agree so your wrong or missinformed.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The point is made. We need not continue this thread.

Now on ModDB!

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YA, as much as the help is appreciated, there is also no need for backseat moderation. #Tongue

I see nothing wrong with the discussion, barring Revolutionary's responses, which were bait posts directed at HTX, who actually has more knowledge on the situation than most others here have.

All things considered, this being a PSU issue over a motherboard issue is improbable.

High Templar X
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ghost of Christmas Past wrote:
No.He has the same knowledge of the event that dub does and a crapton more knowledge about computers, their components and their workings.

Mostly this. I spoke to EVA and got some more information. :p

Quote:
PSU's Fail and its possible (unlikly unless it is very old, stressed or someone has messed with it) and ,if its so wrong a suggestion he needs to bloody well wake up and recognise it is a valid suggestion rather than all this no Fen f*cktard doesnt agree so your wrong or missinformed.

Power supplies in laptops almost never fail. In fact, I've never worked on a dead laptop with a dead power unit. Every dead one I've had has been the motherboard or the hard drive. If you weren't as thick as you are, you'd know that Dubzac's statement was very, very WRONG. Motherboards are very fragile and often tend to fail as a reflection of that. Saying that "motherboards hardly fail" will result in an immediate dismissal because that's an incredibly retarded statement.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well none of that is needed anymore. Somehow the Users folder was in:

Westwood/APBBeta.

Which really doesn't make any sense as it would require a double move to do so- somebody drag-dropping it to Westwood, then to APBBeta. Neither of which I did.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Call Ghostbusters, quick!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon